Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said the team is looking to extend LB Aldon Smith

CWR

Reaction score
Suprised this hasn't been posted. Mods please delete if I missed it.

• "We want to maximize our relationship with him," Jones told 105.3FM the Fan. "Proud that he's given himself this chance and we're going to help him do it. I'm a fan of his." Smith drew interest at the trade deadline, but the Cowboys view him as part of their 2021 plans. The former All-Pro has been one of the comeback players of the year, posting five sacks and 12 pressures in nine starts. Smith's role has taken a hit the last few weeks with the return of Randy Gregory, but he's still getting around 66 percent of snaps. Playing on a one-year contract, extending Smith with a short-term deal would make sense for both sides.

SOURCE: 105.3 The Fan
    Nov 14, 2020, 11:17 AM ET

Brax

Reaction score

• "We want to maximize our relationship with him," Jones told 105.3FM the Fan. "Proud that he's given himself this chance and we're going to help him do it. I'm a fan of his." Smith drew interest at the trade deadline, but the Cowboys view him as part of their 2021 plans. The former All-Pro has been one of the comeback players of the year, posting five sacks and 12 pressures in nine starts. Smith's role has taken a hit the last few weeks with the return of Randy Gregory, but he's still getting around 66 percent of snaps. Playing on a one-year contract, extending Smith with a short-term deal would make sense for both sides.

another Jerry on the cheap player, fits right in with the Jones master plan.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Just curious where is Jerry going to find all this Cap cash????
Hmmmm food for thought here????

garyo1954

Reaction score

Booger is a fan of everything he does.

kumizi

Reaction score
Jerry loves his reclamation projects.

I guess if they want to run a 3-4 defense going forward, Aldon fits that mold.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Just curious where is Jerry going to find all this Cap cash????
Hmmmm food for thought here????
Weird question to ask considering Aldon is replacing a guy (Quinn) who just signed a 70 million dollar deal.

That's like asking someone whose trading in a BMW "how can you afford a toyota camry" ?

kskboys

Reaction score
They already have about $28 million in cap space, and next year they wont be paying Tyrone Crawford or Everson Griffin on the D-Line, so they can divert some of that money to Smith.
So you're saying don't sign Dak?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you're saying don't sign Dak?
I didn't say that. Obviously they could go another direction if they wanted, but the $28 million in space they have this year includes Dak's salary, so even if they have to pay him more next year it won't eat up all that space. Besides, not having to pay Crawford and Griffin should easily cover paying Smith.