Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said the team is looking to extend LB Aldon Smith

RS12

Reaction score
Eh I would prefer a GM who was a fan of winning instead of individual players. That tends to lead to the current mess.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If we are going to extend a pass rusher, rather it be Gregory.

Me too but something Stephen said about Randy last week cause me to pause. He praised Randy's overall play but he also mentioned his past struggles with his drug issue and it's something he still has to fight every day. His drug issue may very well be more vulnerable and fragile than we as fans realize. I mean it's easy to get lost in the excitement of him being back and playing well but I get the feeling he's nowhere close to being out of the woods.......issue is still very fluid.

But I agree 100%, I wanna get Randy extended also.
BTW....just me but I'm guessing we can probably resign Aldon to another 1-year deal, of course paying him more. Just not sure he's don't enough this year to get the multi-year offers he'd like.

Brax

Reaction score
hes plays well for the missed years off, with structured off season with this team and coaches, i believe he will be a nice player next year.. as long as the contract is team friendly with protections, why not?
It's a risk like so many Jerry projects and he has a lot of demons, if he gets a contract I will not be unhappy I only look at the high risk potential, but why he would want to sign for a team friendly Jerry deal when his services will be wanted elsewhere and there will be teams ready to pay is something he should explore and most likely will...

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Me too but something Stephen said about Randy last week cause me to pause. He praised Randy's overall play but he also mentioned his past struggles with his drug issue and it's something he still has to fight every day. His drug issue may very well be more vulnerable and fragile than we as fans realize. I mean it's easy to get lost in the excitement of him being back and playing well but I get the feeling he's nowhere close to being out of the woods.......issue is still very fluid.

BTW....just me but I'm guessing we can probably resign Aldon to another 1-year deal, of course paying him more. Just not sure he's don't enough this year to get the multi-year offers he'd like.

I guess it's up to Dak? It's his team...his money, too. He's the leader...the QB. He should think about helping out his team...

JJ, the tax man, the team, and Dak.

CWR

Reaction score
I have a feeling if we sign Aldon for a nice contract he'll open up a 55 gallon can of quit and we'll be screwed again.

The risk is there, but if he has truly turned his life around he should give us his all.

CWR

Reaction score

I agree Aldon was hot out of the gate but he's going to have to turn it back on to justify a multi year deal.

Does anyone have any clue how many years we have left from Gregory? He didn't accumulate time for the lost seasons, at least that was my understanding.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

We have no idea the extent of Gregory's struggles with drug abuse. We think it's smoking weed, which won't cause him to get suspended, but you never know are his reinstatement was conditional by the league.

Something is off with Aldon Smith since the Seattle game, it it injury related or perhaps he hit the wall not playing for so many years? Let's see how he plays after the bye week, it could just be his conditioning. With his lack of production it may allow the Cowboy to resign him.

Both players can relapse at any time, we got to cross our fingers they stay on the path of recovery. I don't think they are going to be able to keep both long-term, as both players want to make up for lost wages. Gregory is under contract for another season, perhaps we keep both for another year.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
So now it doesn't even take a full good season for Jerry to throw cash at a player? Is he blind? Aldon is either injured or he has quit playing. He literally does not move his feet anymore. But, hey, let's extend him anyway!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
We have no idea the extent of Gregory's struggles with drug abuse. We think it's smoking weed, which won't cause him to get suspended, but you never know are his reinstatement was conditional by the league.

Something is off with Aldon Smith since the Seattle game, it it injury related or perhaps he hit the wall not playing for so many years? Let's see how he plays after the bye week, it could just be his conditioning. With his lack of production it may allow the Cowboy to resign him.

Both players can relapse at any time, we got to cross our fingers they stay on the path of recovery. I don't think they are going to be able to keep both long-term, as both players want to make up for lost wages. Gregory is under contract for another season, perhaps we keep both for another year.

+1...interestingly we have an out on DLaw deal also after another year.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I agree Aldon was hot out of the gate but he's going to have to turn it back on to justify a multi year deal.

Does anyone have any clue how many years we have left from Gregory? He didn't accumulate time for the lost seasons, at least that was my understanding.

He's a free agent after 2021.......

Reactions: CWR

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Ya know this magpie moron has created a new term, we've got players' coach and players' owner and now we have the first agents' owner.

Below is a list of all the other owners, GMs and HC's that have shared their plans with the media for next year.
Now thats good stuff right there... :laugh:

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Of course he wants to draw attention to the 1 of 6 defensive free agent signings that actually worked out.

HaHa cut.
McCoy cut.
Poe cut.
Worley cut.
Griffen traded.

Hey guys, we sure did it nail it on Aldon Smith!

Big Boy GMs!

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
He’s UFA in March.

someone will pay more $$$ than Dallas.
Also, who here would be a fan of Aldon losing 10-15 lbs and playing closer to his previous playing weight? I feel like 270ish would keep him just as strong but help with endurance and speed/quickness. To me he hasn’t taken many snaps or made much of an impact rushing inside as many believed his frame would allow him to do.

Dude’s hit somewhat of a wall, hope that Randy can rotate in enough to help with that midseason.
Let him lose about 40lbs and go back to LBer.

We will need one after Lee is finally finished..

and Jaylon is surgically sown on to Wolf Hunter to make one complete LBer from the two.

Aldon at LBer..