Cowboys Plan to Re-Sign Trey Lance

Kwyn

Reaction score
Exactly......there's no way on God's green earth he is signing an extension for less than $25M to back up Dak. They have only three options, promise him a chance to compete for the starting job ( with a matching contract ) franchise him, or let him walk.
You mean total dollars on a four or five year deal?

The highest paid backups come in under 10m and most are closer to 5m per

Jimbo123

Reaction score
You mean total dollars on a four or five year deal?

The highest paid backups come in under 10m and most are closer to 5m per
If Lance signs an extension it will be for one year deal at 15+M guaranteed. Jordan Love, as a backup, got a 1 year 13,5 M guaranteed as a #26 pick. Number 3 overall pick will get much more. I'm sure Jerry wasn't thinking about this when he made the trade. If the Cowboys won't do it, then he walks after 2024.

js66

Reaction score
I'd have him studying, class room prep type stuff and working in the gym and on mechanics. Near the back half of this season I'd have him running some 2nd string offense at practice. He'd play almost the entire preseason next year and he gets some #1 reps in training camp. You let him compete for the #2 spot and if he's even close to Rush you go with Lance at #2.

You monitor him for the year and give him 2nd team and some 1st team reps in practice. You play him in any blowout, ahead or behind, and probably prepare a package of plays for him on gameday.

If all looks ok, like someone mentioned earlier, you give him the Jordan Love type prove it deal. He's not going to get much better than that type of offer. It's not out of the question to go this route with a guy with that potential. He wasn't a failure in SF, he was just unknown potential and they went with the more known commodity. There is a decent chance he really is a top 10 draft pick at the QB position. He could flop but it's nuts that people are *****ing that we traded a 4th for him.

Proof

Reaction score
Uh could we maybe see him play first? My thought is one of the best offensive minds in the league walked away from him so call me a skeptic.
I agree, but he also lucked into a franchise qb and then granted Lance the trade he requested. But yeah, odd situation to be in

mardwin

Reaction score
Lol no he's not. He's never going to play unless Dak gets hurt
Dak won't get extended unless there's playoff success this year. If Dak was really all in on Dak his extension would have been already in the mail.

They are taking the wait and see approach.
What was the consensus of fans on here about Lance coming out in the draft. I bet many thought he was a good prospect. And when SF traded to get him 3rd overall. Many thought, why don’t Jerry do stuff like that.

Now it seems many and probably the same ones think he is a bum, or wait to see him play crowd.
He did not have enough playing time in SF to know….and no, the eye test does not count.

Some here would give up on Payton Manning after his 1st season.

mardwin

Reaction score
I kind of feel like it's Drew Henson all over again. Fits the prototypical athlete you want for the time, but just doesn't cut it.
I mean, for a reason. The best you could hope for is a back up, and the 9ers had Josh Jacobs last year. I just find it strange, too. Given they had an up close look at the player.
Drew Henson was out of football for 3 years.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
I bet most critics have not seen him play. But maybe a few plays here and there. And this place, a few loud mouths repeating the same thing. Many sheep will follow. It is the way it is.

I say the Jones know far more than many of these posters.
You must have been out of the country when Lance was working on his LOW QB rating. The dude isn't going to take any team to any playoff games, heck if the Cowboys employed a QB on the Practice Squad, Lance would have a hard time beating that QB out for that spot if the PS QB was given a legit chance to compete against Lance since JJ blew a 4th rd pick on him and is going to give Lance every chance in the book to prove he was right in spending that 4th rd pick to get him. Lance came out because he knew if he stayed in college and actually played in a legit conference there is no way he would have played himself into a million-dollar contract. The dude is a millionaire with a below 40 QB rating in games he's played in..............

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You must have been out of the country when Lance was working on his LOW QB rating. The dude isn't going to take any team to any playoff games, heck if the Cowboys employed a QB on the Practice Squad, Lance would have a hard time beating that QB out for that spot if the PS QB was given a legit chance to compete against Lance since JJ blew a 4th rd pick on him and is going to give Lance every chance in the book to prove he was right in spending that 4th rd pick to get him. Lance came out because he knew if he stayed in college and actually played in a legit conference there is no way he would have played himself into a million-dollar contract. The dude is a millionaire with a below 40 QB rating in games he's played in..............
So you give up on him in another system on another team. Without seeing him here. Ok then I guess you know more than actual football people.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The Cowboys had a second round grade on Lance in 2021 and were able to get him here for a 4th round pick. They are going to sign him to a contract that will pay him like the backup he's going to be.

The 49ers are the team that gave up the farm for Lance expecting him to be the face of the franchise. The Cowboys bought Lance low and if he hits, they can either have him compete with Dak or trade him for a higher pick than what they gave San Fran.

It's a win-win for Dallas. I liked this trade when it happened and I like it even more now.

DuceizBak

Reaction score
I'm not trying to insult OP, but mods literally should put a ban on Mike Fisher stories. Nobody in the know with the Cowboys sites him as a source. He is respected as an old timer so they won't disrespect him, but I legitimately had to mute him on twitter because he prints fake stories. He still lives in 1999 where big headlines meant everything.

Even if this is true, he has a shoddy record.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys had a second round grade on Lance in 2021 and were able to get him here for a 4th round pick. They are going to sign him to a contract that will pay him like the backup he's going to be.

The 49ers are the team that gave up the farm for Lance expecting him to be the face of the franchise. The Cowboys bought Lance low and if he hits, they can either have him compete with Dak or trade him for a higher pick than what they gave San Fran.

It's a win-win for Dallas. I liked this trade when it happened and I like it even more now.
Exactly

People act as if the Cowboys have said re-signng Lance is the priority and will preclude consideration of any other move. That's not remotely what is being suggested by anyone other than fans with a tendency toward melodrama

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I'm not trying to insult OP, but mods literally should put a ban on Mike Fisher stories. Nobody in the know with the Cowboys sites him as a source. He is respected as an old timer so they won't disrespect him, but I legitimately had to mute him on twitter because he prints fake stories. He still lives in 1999 where big headlines meant everything.

Even if this is true, he has a shoddy record.
A lot of his stuff seems made up. I think he starts out with an actual fact or an actual quote, and then twists it into a half-truth to make for a great headline.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If there's truly a chance that Lance somehow improves to be worth what would benefit all concerned, I'll wish them good luck in the future. As far as Dak is concerned, he'll likely get a chance to overcome the problems that have beset him in the past. Here's hoping this story develops into the best possible situation in the future yet to come for all concerned.

Last edited:

Eddie

Reaction score
If I were Trey Lance, I would hedge on myself and not re-sign with the Cowboys at a backup rate. He can get more than $5 mil a year anywhere.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score

Yea it’s really hard for Dallas to lose on this trade. They gave up a 4th for a 23 year old QB with a high ceiling. He can be a future starter, a quality backup, or they’ll flip him for more than they gave up for him. Worst case, he’s a dud and they lost a 4th rounder.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
So you give up on him in another system on another team. Without seeing him here. Ok then I guess you know more than actual football people.
The only football person who actually wanted him was Jerry