Cowboys Plan to Re-Sign Trey Lance

blueblood70

Reaction score

Sources: Cowboys Plan to Re-Sign Trey Lance; What of 5th-Year Option?​

Story by Mike Fisher

FRISCO - The Dallas Cowboys entered the 2023 NFL Draft wishing to use a mid-round pick on an affordable developmental quarterback to work behind Dak Prescott. The chips didn't quite fall that way, but the mindset was the same when at the start of the season they traded a mid-round pick (a fourth-rounder) for a quarterback who has yet to develop in Trey Lance.

The same concept. A different path. And now the No. 3 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, who is still just 23, is a member of the Cowboys.

How long will Lance remain that way? There is this season and 2024 left on his rookie contract. It pays him $940,000 this season; that's extremely affordable for a look. And it is a guaranteed $5.3 million in 2024; that's still affordable, especially if Lance improves.

But then? The Cowboys, two sources tell CowboysSI.com, do not plan to exercise the fifth-year option on Lance in the spring of 2025, as that would cost about $25 million. ... but do plan on finding a way to keep him in Dallas.

The trick, short of Lance miraculously blossoming into being a better player than Prescott (which Dallas does not foresee as it continues to plan for a massive contract extension for the team leader) is to find a middle ground: Can Lance become a good-enough backup to merit a cap-friendly extension here ... as opposed to becoming so good (somehow) that he can get his $25 million-plus elsewhere?

Read much much more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...r&cvid=14db08dc26fd477b96bc3c42bfe1c06a&ei=19

AA1hNVLJ.img
sorry but it's not worth a penny more than $6 million.... i can see them moving on from cooper rush next year and make trey lance the number 2... and we can worry about 2025 when it comes due but no way I'm paying this dude anywhere close to that unless he has a miraculous spring forward in development. right now he's Will Grier hope he improves but that who he replaced.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
The Cowboys had a second round grade on Lance in 2021 and were able to get him here for a 4th round pick. They are going to sign him to a contract that will pay him like the backup he's going to be.

The 49ers are the team that gave up the farm for Lance expecting him to be the face of the franchise. The Cowboys bought Lance low and if he hits, they can either have him compete with Dak or trade him for a higher pick than what they gave San Fran.

It's a win-win for Dallas. I liked this trade when it happened and I like it even more now.
If Shanahan couldn't help this dude with the playbook that he has then yes, a 4 rd pick for this dude was a horrible price to pay for him. Now the kid sits on the 53 man squad and takes up a spot that could go to someone more deserving, that could possibly help this club more than Trey Lance can. Now the Cowboys have two overpaid, over hyped, less than mediocre QB's on their payroll.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Shanahan couldn't help this dude with the playbook that he has then yes, a 4 rd pick for this dude was a horrible price to pay for him. Now the kid sits on the 53 man squad and takes up a spot that could go to someone more deserving, that could possibly help this club more than Trey Lance can. Now the Cowboys have two overpaid, over hyped, less than mediocre QB's on their payroll.
He is not taking up a roster spot. Is that 53rd guy really that good, when most likely he would be inactive every game.
So it doesn’t really matter.
Also they usually call up 1 or 2 from the PS anyway, making the last 2 or 3 on the 53 inactive.

Also those last few roster spots are for players they want to develop and are not vital to the team for this season.
Many later round draft picks are kept that way. So are they taking up a roster spot?

FVSTONE

Reaction score
So you give up on him in another system on another team. Without seeing him here. Ok then I guess you know more than actual football people.
If Trey Lance was all that, then a lot more teams would have been beating down the 9ers door to obtain him, since the 9ers were trying to give him away! But no, JJ showed up with a 4th rd pick and the 9ers were doing back flips behind JJ's back after the deal was made..............LOL! Lance is an overpaid, over hyped, less than mediocre NFL wannabe QB who was so bad that the 9ers didn't want to waste a spot for him on their 53 man roster after paying a kings ransom for him.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Trey Lance was all that, then a lot more teams would have been beating down the 9ers door to obtain him, since the 9ers were trying to give him away! But no, JJ showed up with a 4th rd pick and the 9ers were doing back flips behind JJ's back after the deal was made..............LOL! Lance is an overpaid, over hyped, less than mediocre NFL wannabe QB who was so bad that the 9ers didn't want to waste a spot for him on their 53 man roster after paying a kings ransom for him.
:lmao2:Well ok

tomsanders921

Reaction score
Uh could we maybe see him play first? My thought is one of the best offensive minds in the league walked away from him so call me a skeptic.
Jerry will do anything to keep from drafting a QB high. He just doesn't want to do it. So he tries to find hidden gems so that he feels like the smartest guy in the room.

They got lucky romo turned into what he did. Then they drafted Dak after 4 or 5 other guys they wanted instead got drafted ahead of him.

mardwin

Reaction score
If I were Trey Lance, I would hedge on myself and not re-sign with the Cowboys at a backup rate. He can get more than $5 mil a year anywhere.
He's 23, he's getting more than 5M

quickccc

Reaction score
Currently Lance's role will be in limbo with this McCarthy coaching staff.
His fate awaits post season when da Mac is fired and a new offensive staff is on hand.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The question is what is he worth?
Exactly. I would also add what’s the term of the extension? It’s all a value question.

I also trust McCarthy with QBs. What has he seen. I stand firm that they can’t extend Dak.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Currently Lance's role will be in limbo with this McCarthy coaching staff.
His fate awaits post season when da Mac is fired and a new offensive staff is on hand.
Why are we firing McCarthy?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Did anyone see the proposed trade by ESPN for the Cowboys to trade Trey Lance to the Broncos for an LB and a 5th-round pick?

ghst187

Reaction score
giving a 4th for him was stupid, the eagles just gave a 5 and 6 for a all pro db.
but your right once you trade for and sign him initially your stuck with him .
And he can’t even play…
That’s why we are a distant second in the division

Jimbo123

Reaction score
The article is wrong; the Cowboys would have to exercise his 5th year option by May 1, 2024 (before next training camp) not 2025 like what is in the story. The Cowboys aren't crazy enough to do that.. I don't think..

quickccc

Reaction score
Why are we firing McCarthy?
- Likely yet another early Playoff loss and failure
- Very Inept offense that limits and subdues Dak Prescott and his weapons: The Jones have equipped
and are very heavily invested in Dak, but for this coach staff to severely limit QB/weapons in what they
perceive as " win now" mode ??

We were at the top of NFL offense rankings going into the '23 playoffs, at already midseason
what does this McCarthy dink n dunk offense offers that seems much better and more effective
than the previous playoff-failed Kellen offense ?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The question is what is he worth?
He's the future.

There are a lot of cards to this deal.

Jerry is playing it smart.

Dak is UFA after 2024. No extension. Possible post June cut in 2024. By 2026 we could be in the clear.

They have plans for Lance. But they want the benefit on not paying $$$ for a young QB.