Cowboys Plan to Re-Sign Trey Lance

gtb1943

Reaction score
Did a little research.
30 SBs have been won with QBs chosen in the first rd.
Of those that are not First Rd Choices you have these:
Tom Brady
Joe Montana
Roger Staubach
Bart Starr
Who all won multiple SBs (Total of 15 wins there)

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
They just happened to find gold on the bench in Purdy. There was also a war brewing from 49er fans some wanted Purdy some wanted Lance so to avoid that they just traded Lance since they were clearly going with Purdy.

I consider Trey Lance unproven as he has only thrown 131 NFL passes. He might very well be a bust, but it's too soon to determine that.

It'd be nice if this trade ends up wrecking the 49ers locker room. It'd mean we may have lost the battle, but may have won the war by trading for Lance.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
If a QB as young and highly drafted as Trey Lance is willing to resign as a back up then I want this loser off the team.

You're either in in to take part or you're in it take over at his age and experience level.

I don't want in it to take part losers on my team.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
How bad would this site melt down if dak got a massive contract and Lance didn't become the next guy going into 2025
Agree.

Huge meltdown.

8)

Of course, it would ruin our cap for many seasons.

Flamma

Reaction score
There are so many. Remember Winston and Mariota? Winston was worse in a way as he teased you by coming close but never really getting there.
Jeff George, Goff, etc. Even Luck never really got it done though it can be argued it was not his fault.
All the QBs that ended up with terrible teams.
AND yet the vast majority of QBs that have rings were picked in the first rd (outliers like Brady do show its not absolute)
All true. But isn't it also true that those picked in the first round get the most opportunity? No one picks a QB in the 4th or 6th round to be their starter. Not anymore. Joe Montana was drafted in the 3rd round.

Who knows what happens with Brady had Bledsoe not got hurt. When was Kurt Warner drafted? He's another case. There are probably a lot of really good QBs out there that never get that chance. Most teams just rely on first round picks. So if mostly first round picks get the opportunity, it stands to reason they'll have the most rings.

IslandCowboy

Reaction score
I foresee the worst case scenario where we let him walk and he turns into an amazing QB somewhere else meanwhile the FO here said we like our guys and stick with the mediocrity and inconsistency of Dak Prescott.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Uh could we maybe see him play first? My thought is one of the best offensive minds in the league walked away from him so call me a skeptic.
...and before he walked away from him, he benched him behind Sam Darnold. No bueno.

Our only saving grace is that Kyle Shanahan and his daddy haven't been able to find a QB in 7 years. Purdy is still a question mark in my opinion...I hope they franchise him and pay him $60mm/year...

reddyuta

Reaction score
my view of Mccaly and our scouts has gone way down,i hope this isnt another huge swing and a miss.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I respect Gene Jones. She seems like a very nice person and gracious. Lovely woman. Normally that would be enough for me not to joke around.

...but I look at that picture. Really stare at it. And it makes me wonder if Skeletor and Evil-Lyn gave birth to Trap-Jaw...
giphy-downsized-large.gif

I respect Gene Jones. She seems like a very nice person and gracious. Lovely woman. Normally that would be enough for me not to joke around.

...but I look at that picture. Really stare at it. And it makes me wonder if Skeletor and Evil-Lyn gave birth to Trap-Jaw...
Skeletor begat Skeleteen... but it's close.

plasticman

Reaction score
It would be a Shakespearean tragedy if the Cowboys spent two seasons developing him just so he could sign a huge contract somewhere else and ball out.

Adreme

Reaction score
He had two freak injuries.

SF saved cap $$$ and got a pick.

We get the kid.
They could have saved more money by cutting Darnold but Trey Lance couldn’t beat out one of the worst QBs in the NFL the past few years for a backup job. If the 49ers had ANY confidence in him they would have kept him.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did a little research.
30 SBs have been won with QBs chosen in the first rd.
Of those that are not First Rd Choices you have these:
Tom Brady
Joe Montana
Roger Staubach
Bart Starr
Who all won multiple SBs (Total of 15 wins there)
Roger would have been a 1st round pick and possibly the 1st overall in the draft. But his commitment to the Navy pushed his draft status down.
So he is a bit of an outlier in that group.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
They could have saved more money by cutting Darnold but Trey Lance couldn’t beat out one of the worst QBs in the NFL the past few years for a backup job. If the 49ers had ANY confidence in him they would have kept him.
Lance is 15 mill in cap. UFA after 2024.

Darnold is on a 1 yr 5 mill contract. UFA after 2023.

49ers free up a lot of cap.

I'd guess Dallas will want a 4yr 40-50 mill deal for Lance.

Pretty much seals Dak's fate with the team.

Its gonna happen.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
It would be dumb for them not too. Gives them negotiation power against Dak. They got to see up close in practice if he has potential. He is really young. Might as well train him for that #1 or 2 spot. He is cheap.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
It would be dumb for them not too. Gives them negotiation power against Dak. They got to see up close in practice if he has potential. He is really young. Might as well train him for that #1 or 2 spot. He is cheap.
5.3 M for a #3 QB who won't see the field is not cheap.