CFZ Cowboys players who probably won't be back next year

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Based on the guys I think we need to let go and based on our obvious weaknesses, this off-season will require major talent upgrades at the following position groups:
  • LB (biggest defensive need)
  • OL (getting old and need a C or T)
  • DL (need some run stuffers)
  • RB (A huge need going into 2023 that was overlooked)
  • (Maybe) Safety
  • QB - I would draft a QB regardless of whether we keep Dak or not. Based on past history I can almost 100% guarantee you this front office won’t draft anyone until round 6 or 7.

you are 5 years out. minimum, what would a RB do for us?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's the best run stopper on the team now, you might as well sign him for this year if you want to make a run
I understand that but what does it say about how “close“ we are if we have to say, “We must keep Jonathan Hankins”. I don’t mind that he’s here, but if a 32 year old above average rotational DT is a “must have”, we are worse off than we think.
you are 5 years out. minimum, what would a RB do for us?
I would love to get a better RB. But the OL needs to be upgraded or the new RB won’t matter as much.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Sorry Bob. Had some connectivity issues. Tried a couple of times to reply.

My comment: Is there not a place for a “steady Eddie” on the team depending on the cost? (Hankins)

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Keep Dorrance if we can get him at tier 2 DE pay.
Draft more O-line but we still need Tyron Smith for as many games as we can get out of him next year.
Definitely keep Jourdan Lewis. He's not going to demand top CB money and is a rock solid slot corner.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
Interesting list but we have too many needs to lose more than one O-lineman despite them not being the greatest. Given the dumpster diving we do in free agency, the slow development of some of our draft picks (not to mention a few busts), and a limited number of draft picks, we will have a lot of holes to fill and also needs some upgrades in a few places. We're in for a tough 2024 season I think.
Yup. And as much as the FO wants to just pretend we didn't end the season in a historically humiliating manner, that's a stain that isn't going away when you run it back. Bad draft position, no big FA acquisitions as per the norm, a HC who can't get his players ready and who knows he's gone after next season anyway, lots of holes to fill...could be dark times around here.

chuck520

Reaction score
I understand that but what does it say about how “close“ we are if we have to say, “We must keep Jonathan Hankins”. I don’t mind that he’s here, but if a 32 year old above average rotational DT is a “must have”, we are worse off than we think.

I would love to get a better RB. But the OL needs to be upgraded or the new RB won’t matter as much.
If were trying to win then you have to maximize the talent as best you can with the resources you can provide. If he's better then his backup then you have to sign him to plug a hole in the run defense. If you dont sign him then you weaken the run defense. Its too early to know how close or how far you are at this time so you continue to build and give yourself the best chance possible.

chuck520

Reaction score
Yup. And as much as the FO wants to just pretend we didn't end the season in a historically humiliating manner, that's a stain that isn't going away when you run it back. Bad draft position, no big FA acquisitions as per the norm, a HC who can't get his players ready and who knows he's gone after next season anyway, lots of holes to fill...could be dark times around here.
Thats worst case thinking. The front office has to figure out ways to upgrade the team. They can't worry to the point of them not making any moves. You have an entire offseason to fix this.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
Thats worst case thinking. The front office has to figure out ways to upgrade the team. They can't worry to the point of them not making any moves. You have an entire offseason to fix this.
It is worst case thinking because what we just saw to end the year was worse than worst case. And we have every offseason to fix it and never do. Ever.

chuck520

Reaction score
It is worst case thinking because what we just saw to end the year was worse than worst case. And we have every offseason to fix it and never do. Ever.
You have to two choices as a fan, either continue to support the team or give up, the team has two choices, upgrade the talent or don't do anything. The playoff game is over and not relevant to next season.

ShiningStar

Reaction score

exactly

nobody

Reaction score

Exactly, the good O-line's can make scrub RB's look good, but not vice versa and O-lines also pass protect, so they're the priority.

CCBoy

Reaction score
That’s how I’ve felt for years. I cannot understand why this front office wants to keep so many players whose biggest accomplishments are making the playoffs and every five years or so win a wild card game. Why do they think that means “we’re close”. Close to what?
Teams fill in players upon scheme design and availability. Jerry allowed the characteristics to mold around the pass.

Cornerback got weak and there was poor run support on both sides of the ball in the Green Bay playoff game. Dallas lost completely the complete first quarter. Not until the second half, did the Cowboys start to respond as was the course for the past 3 seasons.

quickccc

Reaction score
Beefing him up to play DT. Wasn't expected to see any snaps.
and becuz of zero game experience and a conversion of position, we still will not know what to know of Feheko.
it's a red shirt project experiment.

and after seeing what they are doing with Mazi, a pure DT i remain skeptical of this coaching staff.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
You have to two choices as a fan, either continue to support the team or give up, the team has two choices, upgrade the talent or don't do anything. The playoff game is over and not relevant to next season.
Lol...it might be irrelevant to most teams. But since Jerry loves to bring back the same people responsible for failure, while doing the least possible amount of work to change anything, then it is very much relevant.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
I see Biadasz and Tyron for sure being back. Biadasz is a strong possibility for the franchise tag unless Pollard gets it again. I see a lot of those defensive guys leaving.

leeblair

Reaction score
There are multiple players on our roster, many who will be FAs next year who likely will not be on the roster next year either because of cap restrictions or just needing to move on. I’m intentionally leaving Dak off this list because that is a much more complex situation that requires a separate category. I’m not against moving on from Dak, but don’t want to discuss it here.

Some of these names will be obvious, some may not. Most of the guys I’m about to list will be FAs. Here are my predictions for players we will (should) be considered for an exit:
  • Tyler Biadaz- finished his rookie deal and will command a hefty raise. But IMO, he’s just ok. He’s a good starter but he’s not worth a big raise on a team full of cap challenges.
  • Michael Gallup- has never been the same since his knee injury 2 years ago. His contract is structured for an out this year. He gone.
  • Tony Pollard- after one year on the cap at $10 mil a season, he’s going into 2024 with no contract. He will not be worth the contract he will garner next year. He’s gone.
  • Leighton Vander Esch- LVE - His neck injury is a quality of life thing. He needs to retire.
  • Dorance Armstrong- he’s a good but not great player who benefits greatly being a part time pass rusher opposite Parsons. He will get offers for more than we should pay.
  • Stephon Gilmore- he is a FA. Honestly at 34, he is probably mostly done. We have Diggs on a big deal and Bland. Time to move on.
  • Tyron Smith- He is signed through 2024 I think. But honestly, even though he had an ok year in terms of not missing as many games as he had been missing before. That’s a low bar. He will be an old 34 next year. He’s not owed that much. I would move on. He’s no longer dependable. I love Tyron. He was truly a great player; a great player who‘s time is up.
  • Jourdan Lewis- He will be 29 next year. He had a pretty good year last year but is he worth getting a raise on a cap strapped team?
  • Jayron Kearse- Kearse has been good. Great? No. He’s probably going to get some higher offers that make it hard to keep him. I could see him following wherever Dan Quinn lands.
  • Dante Fowler- he’s a good pass rusher but is he worth keeping at the same price or more? No.
  • Neville Gallimore- finished his rookie deal and is just a rotational guy with only occasional flashes. JAG.
  • Noah Igbinoghene - guy we got in the KJoseph trade last fall. Played very little when it mattered. His rookie deal is up. So…bye.
  • Sean McKeon- Now the 4th or 5th TE who is mainly a blocker. We have a better TE room than 2 years ago.
There are a few other FAs that may be gone. Some of the guys above may also sign here again. Many of the replacements for the guys above would likely come from the draft or cheaper FAs. Will be a very interesting offseason to say the least.
The Cowboys can overcome any free agent losses they might have with adequate coaching.
The team is pretty good overall, but we know they need to focus on controlling both sides of the line of scrimmage, even if it means losing some talent in the defensive secondary..
The last two years the Cowboys were strong enough to win the Super Bowl had they properly addressed one issue.
They can do it again, but the focus must be on the line.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If were trying to win then you have to maximize the talent as best you can with the resources you can provide. If he's better then his backup then you have to sign him to plug a hole in the run defense. If you dont sign him then you weaken the run defense. Its too early to know how close or how far you are at this time so you continue to build and give yourself the best chance possible.
I’m not opposed to re-signing Hankins. But he’s not enough. We Cowboys fans way overrate Hankins because he IS our best run stopping DT. But having him obviously isn’t enough.

Let’s be honest with ourselves. Hankins is an above average rotational DT. He’s worth between 20-30 snaps a game which is ok, but that’s not enough. If we don’t add more talent around him are we any better than we have been? IMO, no.

chuck520

Reaction score
Lol...it might be irrelevant to most teams. But since Jerry loves to bring back the same people responsible for failure, while doing the least possible amount of work to change anything, then it is very much relevant.
The previous year result doesnt mean anything except draft order the following year, You have to focus on that year and the opponents only. You use the playoff game as a way to self scout so you can improve but other than that its history.