CFZ Cowboys players who probably won't be back next year

nobody

Reaction score
Should be a great one at 24
We could trade up or not. What's obvious is that staying pat and doing nothing will only produce the same results. There'll be a better one at 24 than other rounds. Aaron Rodgers was taken at 24 in the first if I recall.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Lewis and Armstrong would be nice to keep but only if the price is right, otherwise they are going to need some young guys to step up.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
There are multiple players on our roster, many who will be FAs next year who likely will not be on the roster next year either because of cap restrictions or just needing to move on. I’m intentionally leaving Dak off this list because that is a much more complex situation that requires a separate category. I’m not against moving on from Dak, but don’t want to discuss it here.

Some of these names will be obvious, some may not. Most of the guys I’m about to list will be FAs. Here are my predictions for players we will (should) be considered for an exit:
  • Tyler Biadaz- finished his rookie deal and will command a hefty raise. But IMO, he’s just ok. He’s a good starter but he’s not worth a big raise on a team full of cap challenges.
  • Michael Gallup- has never been the same since his knee injury 2 years ago. His contract is structured for an out this year. He gone.
  • Tony Pollard- after one year on the cap at $10 mil a season, he’s going into 2024 with no contract. He will not be worth the contract he will garner next year. He’s gone.
  • Leighton Vander Esch- LVE - His neck injury is a quality of life thing. He needs to retire.
  • Dorance Armstrong- he’s a good but not great player who benefits greatly being a part time pass rusher opposite Parsons. He will get offers for more than we should pay.
  • Stephon Gilmore- he is a FA. Honestly at 34, he is probably mostly done. We have Diggs on a big deal and Bland. Time to move on.
  • Tyron Smith- He is signed through 2024 I think. But honestly, even though he had an ok year in terms of not missing as many games as he had been missing before. That’s a low bar. He will be an old 34 next year. He’s not owed that much. I would move on. He’s no longer dependable. I love Tyron. He was truly a great player; a great player who‘s time is up.
  • Jourdan Lewis- He will be 29 next year. He had a pretty good year last year but is he worth getting a raise on a cap strapped team?
  • Jayron Kearse- Kearse has been good. Great? No. He’s probably going to get some higher offers that make it hard to keep him. I could see him following wherever Dan Quinn lands.
  • Dante Fowler- he’s a good pass rusher but is he worth keeping at the same price or more? No.
  • Neville Gallimore- finished his rookie deal and is just a rotational guy with only occasional flashes. JAG.
  • Noah Igbinoghene - guy we got in the KJoseph trade last fall. Played very little when it mattered. His rookie deal is up. So…bye.
  • Sean McKeon- Now the 4th or 5th TE who is mainly a blocker. We have a better TE room than 2 years ago.
There are a few other FAs that may be gone. Some of the guys above may also sign here again. Many of the replacements for the guys above would likely come from the draft or cheaper FAs. Will be a very interesting offseason to say the least.
Tyler would keep for right price.
Gallup must go.
Pollard should go.
LVE must go.
Dorance should try to keep.
Gilmore would try to keep.
Tyron must go.
Lewis should try to keep.
Kearse must go.
Fowler could keep.
Gallimore should go.
Noah is meaningless.
McKeon is meaningless.

If you want to effect meaningful change you need to make meaningful changes. Nothing above is very meaningful. You are basically committing to running it back. Dak is a separate topic but are you saying that Zack Martin gets to keep "leading" the offense? Demarcus Lawrence gets to keep "leading" the defense? Diggs gets to come back and keep playing his soft selfish style of D? Not sure if you noticed but Bland certainly started to change the way he played. Coincidence?

We have a soft self centered team with leaders who have their own agendas. We need a massive purge. Come back you and strong and fresh and hungry. The old guard has proven they will not get it done.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
There are multiple players on our roster, many who will be FAs next year who likely will not be on the roster next year either because of cap restrictions or just needing to move on. I’m intentionally leaving Dak off this list because that is a much more complex situation that requires a separate category. I’m not against moving on from Dak, but don’t want to discuss it here.

Some of these names will be obvious, some may not. Most of the guys I’m about to list will be FAs. Here are my predictions for players we will (should) be considered for an exit:
  • Tyler Biadaz- finished his rookie deal and will command a hefty raise. But IMO, he’s just ok. He’s a good starter but he’s not worth a big raise on a team full of cap challenges.
  • Michael Gallup- has never been the same since his knee injury 2 years ago. His contract is structured for an out this year. He gone.
  • Tony Pollard- after one year on the cap at $10 mil a season, he’s going into 2024 with no contract. He will not be worth the contract he will garner next year. He’s gone.
  • Leighton Vander Esch- LVE - His neck injury is a quality of life thing. He needs to retire.
  • Dorance Armstrong- he’s a good but not great player who benefits greatly being a part time pass rusher opposite Parsons. He will get offers for more than we should pay.
  • Stephon Gilmore- he is a FA. Honestly at 34, he is probably mostly done. We have Diggs on a big deal and Bland. Time to move on.
  • Tyron Smith- He is signed through 2024 I think. But honestly, even though he had an ok year in terms of not missing as many games as he had been missing before. That’s a low bar. He will be an old 34 next year. He’s not owed that much. I would move on. He’s no longer dependable. I love Tyron. He was truly a great player; a great player who‘s time is up.
  • Jourdan Lewis- He will be 29 next year. He had a pretty good year last year but is he worth getting a raise on a cap strapped team?
  • Jayron Kearse- Kearse has been good. Great? No. He’s probably going to get some higher offers that make it hard to keep him. I could see him following wherever Dan Quinn lands.
  • Dante Fowler- he’s a good pass rusher but is he worth keeping at the same price or more? No.
  • Neville Gallimore- finished his rookie deal and is just a rotational guy with only occasional flashes. JAG.
  • Noah Igbinoghene - guy we got in the KJoseph trade last fall. Played very little when it mattered. His rookie deal is up. So…bye.
  • Sean McKeon- Now the 4th or 5th TE who is mainly a blocker. We have a better TE room than 2 years ago.
There are a few other FAs that may be gone. Some of the guys above may also sign here again. Many of the replacements for the guys above would likely come from the draft or cheaper FAs. Will be a very interesting offseason to say the least.
That is a lot of turnover.... :banghead:
I kind of think they bring back Biadiaz and Tyron....as the swing tackle.

CWR

Reaction score
You’re not the only one - out with old losers and in with new.
Remember the feeling we had in 2016, when anything was possible?

This is the exact opposite. Lol. It's time for a changing of the guard.

Creeper

Reaction score

This seems like a pretty good summary. If they let Armstrong and Fowler go they may be a bit light on the edge. It would mean depending on Sam Williams a lot more and I am not ready for that unless he gets a brain transplant. I could also see Jerry going edge rusher in the first round in the draft too.

Gallup may be gone but don't be surprised if he is traded for a late pick during training camp. His CAP save pre-June 1 is not significant enough to just cut him.

I wonder what Pollard would be asking for in his new contract? Not great stats for him and there are a bunch of good RBs in free agency. What if Pollard takes $3 million in an incentive laden deal? Then they draft a power running in April?

I think Dallas will re-sign one of Lewis and Gilmore. Tough decision too. But even with Diggs coming back I think they would be light at CB if they let them both go.

I can see Tyron coming back on a 1 year deal.

I never understood the trade for Ibonoghene. Joseph was a better player. But like Sam Williams he lacked a head on his shoulders. Still, cutting him and CJ Goodwin getting hurt killed us on special teams. I know one thing, Tolbert should not be on special teams.

I am so disappointed in Gallimore. He never got better than he rookie season. I was disappointed when Madubuike fell to the 3rd round and Jerry did not jump to go get him.

chuck520

Reaction score
Armstrong and/or Fowler are back, you need pass rush depth
Gilmore and/or Lewis are back, you need 3 starting corners and a 4th for depth
Tyron is back because no depth
Pollard could be back at the right price but not the main back

The rest of them probably not

chuck520

Reaction score
I wonder if Big Hank returns... remember it took a long time for him to decide to return to football last offseason, he may just retire
Hankins is a priority because Mazi is not ready, Hankins said he wants to come back

conner01

Reaction score
We could trade up or not. What's obvious is that staying pat and doing nothing will only produce the same results. There'll be a better one at 24 than other rounds. Aaron Rodgers was taken at 24 in the first if I recall.
Trading up in a year you’ve already spent two picks is not gonna happen. You’d have to give your second to move up and that’s not moving very far up

Kwyn

Reaction score

I’m mostly aligned but I think there’s. Role for Gilmore and Tyron. Both are true pros and will find ways to contribute.

nobody

Reaction score
Trading up in a year you’ve already spent two picks is not gonna happen. You’d have to give your second to move up and that’s not moving very far up
The point though is if you never try to improve, you're always destined to fail. I'd rather take chances and maybe fail than stand pat and guaranteed fail.

conner01

Reaction score
The point though is if you never try to improve, you're always destined to fail. I'd rather take chances and maybe fail than stand pat and guaranteed fail.
I get that but trading up in the first costs a lot
Our second might get you 6 spots or so. That is not likely to net you all that much better of a player

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s how I’ve felt for years. I cannot understand why this front office wants to keep so many players whose biggest accomplishments are making the playoffs and every five years or so win a wild card game. Why do they think that means “we’re close”. Close to what?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hankins is a priority because Mazi is not ready, Hankins said he wants to come back
I like Hankins. He’s been an improvement from what we‘ve had for years. But is a soon to be 32 year old DT who is - let’s be brutally honest here - above average…is that what we feel is the best we can do? How many teams in this league would plug him in right now as their best run stuffer? A few. And we got him for a 7th round pick. That’s his value.

I don’t mean any disrespect to Hank. But man this dude has played 11 seasons on 4 different teams, has 17.5 sacks over those 11 years, and he was available for a 7th almost two years ago. Hankins is a good rotational player. That’s it. Having him has not turned this D into a monster run stuffing machine.

Last edited:

chuck520

Reaction score
I like Hankins. He’s been an improvement from what we‘ve had for years. But is a soon to be 32 year old DT who is - let’s be brutally honest here - above average…is that what we feel is the best we can do? How many teams in this league would plug him in right now as their best run stuffer? A few. And we got him for a 7th round pick. That’s his value.

I don’t mean any disrespect to Hank. But man this dude has played 11 seasons on 4 different teams, has 17.5 sacks over those 11 years, and he was available for a 7th almost two years ago. Hankins is a good rotational player. That’s it. Having him has not turned this D into a monster run stuffing machine.
He's the best run stopper on the team now, you might as well sign him for this year if you want to make a run