Cowboys ranked 1 in total offense

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
They had every chance to win that Saints game, as well as coming back from that abysmal start against the Jets and a pathetic defensive performance in that game, if an awful offensive pass intereference call doesn't negate a touchdown.

But woulda, coulda, shoulda, right? There were other mistakes and self-inflicted wounds that have them at 5-3. Mistakes that were still on display Monday night.

I agree, but I think we can all see the talent and potential that is there. If - an entire that's a big if- they can manage to get those mistakes cleaned up, they are undoubtedly a formidable offense and one that can give any defense trouble. If the defense continues what I see as improvement, who knows? This team just might get it together enough to make the playoffs and be a contender. We should know one way or another in the next month.

Couldn't have said it better myself except we were literally 2 missed field goals away from winning the Jets and Saints games. Then again, we shouldn't blame 1 or 2 missed field goals as thats not an excuse to shooting ourselves in the feet.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Some. It's certainly a factor. And the best defense we faced by far - the Saints - did shut us down. So it will be interesting to see how they perform against tough upcoming defenses like the Bills and Patriots.
12-10 I believe we shut each other down, make more mistakes , you lose..

when we arent making mistakes our offense can move it on anyone.. big test SNF

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
12-10 I believe we shut each other down, make more mistakes , you lose..

when we arent making mistakes our offense can move it on anyone.. big test SNF

What Dak said about how the only team that can stop the Cowboys are the Cowboys, is very true in the form that if the offense is steadily moving the ball down the field successfully and that the opposing defense can't stop our offense. Then our offense kills drives with penalties or turnovers on drives that they could have potentially scored some points on.

If the offense eliminates penalties and turnovers in any game where they are successful at driving the ball down the field, then they will be very hard for any team to stop in those games.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
With what they have invested in the offense we had better be one of the best units in football.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
GIANTS= 2-7 W
FINS= 1-7 W
Commanders= 1-8 W
JETS= 1-7 L
GIANTS= 2-7 W

SAINTS=7-1 L
PACKERS= 7-2 L

We're no 1 We're no 1.........

:muttley:
NE schedule
Steelers 4-4 W
Miami 1-7 W
NYJ 1-7 W
Bills 6-2 W
Skins 1-8 W
NYG 2-7 W
NYJ 1-7 W

Balt 6-2 L

Man, they have an elite defense and are the cream of the crop. The only "legit" team they have played is Balt and they lost to them. Don't give me Buffalo. Their schedule is crap too and I haven't bought into them. NE has beaten up on some really crappy teams (much like Dallas and Buffalo and SF).

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NE schedule
Steelers 4-4 W
Miami 1-7 W
NYJ 1-7 W
Bills 6-2 W
Skins 1-8 W
NYG 2-7 W
NYJ 1-7 W

Balt 6-2 L

Man, they have an elite defense and are the cream of the crop. The only "legit" team they have played is Balt and they lost to them. Don't give me Buffalo. Their schedule is crap too and I haven't bought into them. NE has beaten up on some really crappy teams (much like Dallas and Buffalo and SF).

They have won 6 Superbowls in 10 years give or take you're kidding right????

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Some. It's certainly a factor. And the best defense we faced by far - the Saints - did shut us down. So it will be interesting to see how they perform against tough upcoming defenses like the Bills and Patriots.
not to mention the viks also have a pretty stout D... this weekend will be like pulling the curtain back ever so slightly. IF our D comes to play, I feel we can make Cousin's day more then uncomfortable and perhaps get a few TO's....

Proof

Reaction score
I always believed that Maher missed a FG in the Saints game. A big difference when we lost that game by 2 points. Being the number one ranked offense is still impressive considered that at one point the Cowboys offense has the worst starting field position and wasn't getting the ball on the opponents side of the field. It will be very encouraging to see this offense produce big numbers against the better teams coming up.

horrible starting field position actually lends itself to higher yardage

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
not to mention the viks also have a pretty stout D... this weekend will be like pulling the curtain back ever so slightly. IF our D comes to play, I feel we can make Cousin's day more then uncomfortable and perhaps get a few TO's....

I hope so. This should be just the matchup for why we traded for Michael Bennett. The Vikings line is weak up the middle and Cousins does not handle pressure in his face well at all (as for most quarterbacks). I just hope we bring a blitz or two early to prevent him from getting comfortable the way we have with some quarterbacks this year.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His point is they’ve played mostly crappy teams as well. Does that mean there record isn’t legit? You play who they put in front of you.
When you have won 6 Superbowls in that time frame you could be playing College teams and no one should question if you're a legit powerhouse.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
I hope so. This should be just the matchup for why we traded for Michael Bennett. The Vikings line is weak up the middle and Cousins does not handle pressure in his face well at all (as for most quarterbacks). I just hope we bring a blitz or two early to prevent him from getting comfortable the way we have with some quarterbacks this year.
I would add stash, our CB's HAVE to get in the face's of their receivers and knock them off their routes, Cousin's is a strict timing QB, you mess up his timing and he's less then average QB. Plus it cause's him to make huge mistakes!!!

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
They have won 6 Superbowls in 10 years give or take you're kidding right????
We are talking about THIS year. I fully acknowledge that they have been the better franchise for the last 20 years. This year is all that I'm concerned about. Everyone here is pretty much chalking up the NE game as a loss for Dallas this year because of their "elite defense" but those defensive stats have been built by playing crappy offenses. Much like our offensive stats have been built by playing crappy defenses. So we hear the excuses that we only have the stats because we haven't played a good defenses. The one good defense we have played shut us down. But guess what, the one legit offense that NE played shredded them.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Even in the Saints game, we we're driving down the field for good portions of the game, but we "fumbled" (I still don't think Zeke fumbled) twice on the 50. Who knows what would've happened if that Zeke "fumble" wasn't ruled a fumble. Gallup was out as well and our WR's had drops in that game I'm sure. Plus our ST sucks so we always start from our own 20.

The offense is good, but they shoot themselves in the foot at the absolute worst times. Big 3rd down? Drop the pass. Big 3rd down? Overthrown ball. 4th down? Bad play call. Big TD? Ran the wrong route. Etc, etc.
Still though, for Dak and Co. to drive down the field almost every time even though they constantly start in their own 20 shows a lot. We still show redzone woes though, which hurts us a lot as well. Like Dak said, the offense gets in its own way rather than other defenses being able to stop them.
That has more to do with a lot of touchbacks. Not much our special teams can do there. Punts are a different story though.

Creeper

Reaction score
Stats can be misleading, although the Cowboys do have an excellent offense when they utilize all of it. When the offensive line plays like they did against the Eagles and Giants, the Cowboys offense it hard to stop. The Saints did it but the Cowboys had two critical fumbles to hurt themselves. The Saints, at home, were really fired up for that game.

I heard a stat yesterday that Dak is 6-1 against top 10 defenses. Could just be Dallas plays up or down to their level of competition. We will know a lot more about the Cowboys Monday morning.