Cowboys ranked 1 in total offense

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
As an avid fantasy player and sports gambler, I was surprised to learn this week that defenses playing Dak put up the fewest points in 2019.

That's pretty cool.

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
Dak looks far more accurate. Sans the Bathea pick. If Randall Cobb can stop tip drilling interceptions and fumbling his numbers would steadily rise.

I do think the offensive line has room to improve some more. It’s definitely close to 2014 with Frederick back. They just have to keep the tackles healthy.

All in all, there are fixable careless mistakes by Cobb and on the line (penalties) to get this offense on pace to really take the league by storm. Especially if the defense continues to trend upwards and create short fields.

Sydla

Reaction score
Big test Sunday night. Minnesota can play defense and get after the QB.

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
Yes, this ranking and this offense will be tested coming up. The Vikings, Bills, and Patriots have very good defenses.

Sunday night’s game is the first litmus test since Green Bay to really show what we are against a good team. Philly is the best team we have beaten but they have flaws that none of the teams coming up have on defense.

Last edited:

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Amidst some other depressing news, how nice is this to see? This offense is really showing what it is capable of, week after week, and there has been vast improvement over last year's huge red zone woes. Getting Frederick back has really helped to solidify the interior offensive line and the proof is in the numbers. I heard mention that in 8 games, Dak has only been sacked 10 times. If that's accurate, it's a huge reversal from the 56 he endured last year.

That's not to say that there's not room for improvement. If penalties and turnovers can be cleaned up, the points per game numbers would look that much better. But thus far, Kellen Moore has done a great job and this offense is looking every bit a step dangerous as we had hoped they would. And I think it's clear that there is the potential to get even better.
They have certainly been making improvements in approach to offensive strategy. I think it speaks to their commitment for the necessary changes. It does help to have Fred the Beard back in there. Sure, we played some easy games, but it helped to hone their game play. We almost lead the league in passes dropped and penalties, but those things can be corrected.
I see Dak airing it out more, which is good to see. They are starting to use the whole field instead of dump off passes.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some. It's certainly a factor. And the best defense we faced by far - the Saints - did shut us down. So it will be interesting to see how they perform against tough upcoming defenses like the Bills and Patriots.

Did the Patriots defense get exposed some by the Ravens, as they have not faced stellar offenses until the Ravens.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sunday night’s game is the first litmus test since Green Bay to really show what we are against a good team. Philly is the best team we have beaten but they have flaws that none of the teams coming up have in defense.

Excellent point. The Vikings defense will provide a great test. And no doubt they're using Dak's recent proclamation as bulletin board material. I think Minnesota presents the biggest challenge in terms of pass rush that this team has faced this year.

simplycowboys210

Reaction score
How much of this is because we have mostly played terrible teams?
ummm.... so have other teams. We've played the packers, saints, and eagles. At the time, of each of those games, the Saints defense was proving to be monstrous and still are; the eagles had the number 1 rush defense, we destroyed that. And the packers have a good secondary and Dak through for 400+. We didn't win those games of course, but were talking about the offense. Now for the games against the giants and Commanders, notice that everyone kind of agrees when you play a divisional rival in the nfc you have to throw that record out of there because anything could happen. This week agains the vikings, will be the test if we do well; I plan on rebuking every scoffer on these forums on saying we havent played anyone etc.. because honestly wins are wins and as long as we make it to the playoffs I don't care who we play.

erod

Reaction score
Dallas has played five games against the worst teams the NFL has to offer.

All of those yards against Green Bay came after falling behind 31-3. Just garbage stats.

Stats. Mean. Nothing.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They have certainly been making improvements in approach to offensive strategy. I think it speaks to their commitment for the necessary changes. It does help to have Fred the Beard back in there. Sure, we played some easy games, but it helped to hone their game play. We almost lead the league in passes dropped and penalties, but those things can be corrected.
I see Dak airing it out more, which is good to see. They are starting to use the whole field instead of dump off passes.

I would like to see the creative playcalls like RPO's bunch receiver formations, and jet sweep plays called a bit more regularly. They work well, but seem to go in and out of the playbook each week and I'm not sure why.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
They should be #1. Great players all over the OL. Maybe the best RB in the game. Top 5-6-7 #1 WR. Good young QB. Plus they're as healthy as you could ever hope to be.

It's about time.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would like to see the creative playcalls like RPO's bunch receiver formations, and jet sweep plays called a bit more regularly. They work well, but seem to go in and out of the playbook each week and I'm not sure why.
Not sure either, except maybe they are relying on key WRs who have been in and out due to injury.

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
Excellent point. The Vikings defense will provide a great test. And no doubt they're using Dak's recent proclamation as bulletin board material. I think Minnesota presents the biggest challenge in terms of pass rush that this team has faced this year.

Not to mention our defense holding up against their offensive line and Dalvin Cook. If we struggle like we did against Aaron Jones and that line, um yeah, Dalvin Cook is going to run for 250.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
We just need..hmm..a crazy analogy

Dallas desperately needs to find a way to "flip on the light switch" BEFORE they go "down the stairs" so that they can "catch that first step"

We've seen them catch themselves before they reach the bottom, and almost save it..but not quite.

They're almost there..I'd like to think..almost there

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not to mention our defense holding up against their offensive line and Dalvin Cook. If we struggle like we did against Aaron Jones and that line, um yeah, Dalvin Cook is going to run for 250.

That's the part that I worry about.

But I know I'll sound like a broken record when I say this, but I think this run defense looks much more sound with Crawford out of the lineup.

cowboygo

Reaction score
That's the part that I worry about.

But I know I'll sound like a broken record when I say this, but I think this run defense looks much more sound with Crawford out of the lineup.
And with Bennett in it!

Pants

Reaction score
imagine if Garrett had not "gotten involved" starting in week 4 when all of our scripted/first half suckiness started....