Cowboys re-sign Free **merged**

CoCo

Reaction score
nyc;4008017 said:
Reasonable? I think it's a tad early in his career to give him $8M a year, but it seems there were other teams who wanted him pretty bad to drive the price up to $8M a year. Without question it is a good thing for the Cowboys. They will now have offensive line Bookends for years to come.

I don't know how anyone could have a reasonable expectation that Free could be signed for less than $8mil per year. The guy is 27 years old and just coming into his own at LT. Get real people.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
CoCo;4008031 said:
I don't know how anyone could have a reasonable expectation that Free could be signed for less than $8mil per year. The guy is 27 years old and just coming into his own at LT. Get real people.

Look back at history. He is coming out of his (non-first round) rookie contract hasn't made any pro bowls and hasn't won a championship. Generally guys like that end up with contracts in the $4-$6M a year deals. He got more because other teams were hot after him. I bet the Cowboys could have gotten him for less as I believe he still had a 1st and 3rd tender on him. That just isn't how Jerry works though.

HoyaParanoya

Reaction score
The price was reasonable. Hard to get overly excited, more relieved. We would've been screwed without him.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
HoyaParanoya;4008037 said:
The price was reasonable. Hard to get overly excited, more relieved. We would've been screwed without him.

Now that I agree with. It was an important signing.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
The Joneses (Jerry & Stephen) deserve plenty of credit here... Considering they often receive plenty of grief (esp Jerry), they deserve plenty of credit here to even things out a bit. Especially after all the hands wringing yesterday in that mammoth omghelpusoutfromunderthewretchedgraspofthebunderousjerry thread because some team writer was worried (lmao)... Thankfully there were no bridges close to any of the chicken littles. They signed him to a perfectly executed contract. Tampa? Wait! What? bahahah

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bleu Star;4008052 said:
The Joneses (Jerry & Stephen) deserve plenty of credit here... Considering they often receive plenty of grief (esp Jerry), they deserve plenty of credit here to even things out a bit. Especially after all the hands wringing yesterday in that mammoth omghelpusoutfromunderthewretchedgraspofthebunderousjerry thread because some team writer was worried (lmao)... Thankfully there were no bridges close to any of the chicken littles. They signed him to a perfectly executed contract. Tampa? Wait! What? bahahah

Time to change your sig.

Change Pending to Check for the Free Line. :)

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I don't think the Tampa interest was ever very real. You don't go after LT's to play RT. I think Free's agent threw Tampa's name out there in the press to get Jerry to come up to their request of $8 million a year. Either way, I like the move. It's $1-1.5 million a year less than I thought they were going to have to play.

Rockytop6

Reaction score
BybeeBlitz;4007425 said:
AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Dallas reached agreement on a four-year, $32 million deal that included $17 million in guaranteed money with OT Doug Free.

Whew! Sigh of relief - big time.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Good news. Clayton was reporting as I went to bed last night that it was 6 yrs for $48 million. Still $8 mil per year, but 4 for $32 mil sounds better for some reason.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
peplaw06;4008090 said:
Good news. Clayton was reporting as I went to bed last night that it was 6 yrs for $48 million. Still $8 mil per year, but 4 for $32 mil sounds better for some reason.

And you call youself a lawyer? John Clayton = wrong and wrong often! :)

What does Peplaw mean anyway? Are you legal council for Glee Clubs everywhere?

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Joe Rod;4008097 said:
And you call youself a lawyer? John Clayton = wrong and wrong often! :)

What does Peplaw mean anyway? Are you legal council for Glee Clubs everywhere?
I figured he was just throwing numbers out there.

And it's cheerleading squads. get it right.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
peplaw06;4008090 said:

Nah, I would rather it been a six year deal. That way he is locked up two more years at the same price. If he continues to play the way he is, he will get an even larger contract at the age of 31. I would rather his next contract be at the age of 33 which is bordering the end of his career and can be structured appropriately.

hutch1254

Reaction score
Call me paranoid but has Doug actually put pen to paper on this? Maybe he has I didn't see the link but I'd feel even more comfortable knowing so. This is the only thing I've truly sweated about all off season.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
peplaw06;4008102 said:
I figured he was just throwing numbers out there.

And it's cheerleading squads. get it right.
Wait, my respect level just spiked.

To be truthful, I always wondered if it stood for Pepperdine.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I find it funny that people actually think they could have gotten him for less....like as if Jerry and co., were feeling charitable last night.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Oh_Canada;4008138 said:
I find it funny that people actually think they could have gotten him for less....like as if Jerry and co., were feeling charitable last night.
You kidding? Yesterday before he signed Jerry was an idiot for not franchising him when he had the chance. We were absolutely going to lose him to the Buccaneers who needed to overpay to get above the salary floor. It was set in stone. Damn Jerry, damn him to hell.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
i'm happy to give credit when due- getting free back was an absolute must and jerra delivered. :bow: