Cowboys re-sign Free **merged**

CCBoy

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4007932 said:
not really i guess, but i'll take it, he's young enough we can tack on an extension in the latter years to make it more cap friendly when we need to, but definately not a "bargin"

Not a bargain? Look again, he gave a hometown discount to offers being received.

burmafrd

Reaction score
The key here is how short the deal is. I am willing to bet that if we had gone for a longer deal the per year price would have been higher. This still allows Free to get another good or even better deal later. If he plays to the level that he could get to. IF it had been a longer deal Free would not have been likely to get another top dollar contract. So he would have wanted more.

THis is ALSO interesting since if we sign Smith to a 5 year deal we can make the decision in a few years to move him to LT without having to worry about Free. I wonder if that was part of the possible implications of this type of deal.

$8 million a year is reasonable if he plays as well as hoped; actually if he makes the Pro Bowl that makes this deal a bargain.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
CCBoy;4007951 said:
Not a bargain? Look again, he gave a hometown discount to offers being received.

Are they in the thread? By the time I say the thread, it was too long for me to go through so I just picked a few post to respond to. Never saw what he was offered by TB or who ever

reddyuta

Reaction score
i wish i had stayed awake afte the rangers game to her this good news.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Good news, Dallas couldn't affrod to lose Free, got the bookends for years to come, now we need two guards and a center sometime in the immediate future

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Overachievers don't typically leave teams that give them their big chances... Someone was supposed to wake me when this was over... Now on to the next whiner topic...

I can check another one off later.. Asomugha next.

burntricersx

Reaction score
Yes! And a fair deal to boot. I for one wasn't too concerned. All that noise about him wanting to break the JJ bank was to stir people up and get rraders for the blog. But I'm sure the ones that were are now gonna run around screaming that head good as gone are now going to say we overpaid for him. Mankins got 10M, I'll gladly keep Free for 8M and maintain some continuity

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
This is great news.

I'm looking forward to learning the specifics (structure) of the contract. My guess is that it isn't heavily backloaded.

8 million a year is reasonable, all things considered.

Earlier I had defined 8.5 million and over as "the wincing zone" (if Free got 8.5 or more, the Cowboys front office would be wincing a little as the contract was signed) and anything over 9.1 million as "vastly overpaid." 8 million isn't bad given Free's performance, free agent status and this year's crazy, compressed, unpredictable free agency market.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
BybeeBlitz;4007425 said:
AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Dallas reached agreement on a four-year, $32 million deal that included $17 million in guaranteed money with OT Doug Free.

Best owner in the NFL.....no player leaves if Mr. Jones wants them to stay....that is the bottom line.:starspin

StylisticS

Reaction score
UnoDallas;4007883 said:
UT - 5 -7

Ark - 10 - 2

in 2010

nuff said

but hey maybe Mack can find a way to get Roy back on the team

for another losing season

:laugh2: :lmao: :lmao2:
Scoreboard. How does 52-10 sound. I'm sure you love it.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
DaBoyz73;4007440 said:
If that is a true figure we signed him to a very reasonable contract. :)

Reasonable? I think it's a tad early in his career to give him $8M a year, but it seems there were other teams who wanted him pretty bad to drive the price up to $8M a year. Without question it is a good thing for the Cowboys. They will now have offensive line Bookends for years to come.

CoCo

Reaction score
It is a very good feeling to know Free & Smith are our bookend tackles for the next several years. Very good indeed. Now we're making progress on this line.