Cowboys re-sign Free **merged**

JustDezIt

Formerly sm0kie13 ROY
Reaction score
WittenFan;4007568 said:
Wait, if he's so good, how did we get him so cheap? Obviously he's not so good if other teams weren't willing to pay 50 bajillion dollars for him. *sarcasm*

post more often

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
I wonder if Free took a bit of a paycut to stay with Dallas.

If he did, he just earned a spot in my top 5 favorite players.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
CooterBrown;4007560 said:
I hope he is right. Otherwise, Free's contract and Tyron Smith's rookie deal will end the same year. Not good.

Oh heck yeah. 6 years works out so much better. This deal is going to look even better in 2016-2017 provided it isn't heavily backloaded. Even then, we can restructure as needed.

Damn fine job by Jerry and Co.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
JustDezIt;4007540 said:
I think you should.

No. It wasn't just obvious to only me. Obviously the staff saw something in him and other fans too. I was just giddy enough about him to call in the post game show and say he played well.

Most of us can agree Free is an important piece to the puzzle. I really didn't think he would leave Dallas and 4 years is time enough to reassess any overzealous analysis that may or may not have been made on our part.

We're all guilty of a little premature excitement. While it's not likely, and I have high hopes and expectations for Free, he's not a guarantee all-pro at this point.

But he has shown he does have all the tools to potentially become one of the greatest linemen we've seen.

That's a lot of money he just raked in.

J-DOG

Reaction score
I take it back Jerry...you da man!
Thank god you signed Free.
I can breathe again.

JustDezIt

Formerly sm0kie13 ROY
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4007581 said:
No. It wasn't just obvious to only me. Obviously the staff saw something in him and other fans too. I was just giddy enough about him to call in the post game show and say he played well.

Most of us can agree Free is an important piece to the puzzle. I really didn't think he would leave Dallas and 4 years is time enough to reassess overzealous analysis that may or may not have been made.

We're all guilty of a little premature excitement. While it's not likely, and I have high hopes and expectations for Free, he's not a guarantee all-pro at this point.

But he has shown he does have all the tools to potentially become one of the greatest linemen we've seen.

That's a lot of money he just raked in.

I am happy for him, his hard work paid off. And i was joking about the thread, although it would have been fun to rag on that kid some more for his lame thread. :laugh2:

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Wow, that's a lot less than I thought it would take. Hats off to Doug Free for showing a reasonable sense in these negotiations -- makes him that much more likable. I also like that we check him off so early in the offseason, so now we can get busy on other guys.

Thing I like about this signing is that we know Free, he has performed well in this system, he's entering the prime of his career and he has shown no signs that a fat contract will change his approach to the game.

So glad I get to go to bed not having to worry about this move any longer. :)

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Hostile;4007468 said:
Do I get to start an I told you so thread?

Great news.

No

I told you so threads are reserved for certainty greater than 95%.

Sorry.

67CowboysFan

Reaction score
JBell523;4007545 said:
I think everyone wanted us to re-sign Free, just at a reasonable price.

4 years/32 mil is a lot less than nearly all of us expected him to get. Can't blame other posters for considering alternatives when there was talk of Free getting 10+mill a year.
I was guessing it would take 10 a year or close to it. Nice to see we got a fair price on this one. Romo is prolly gonna sleep a little better tonight too. :)

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
JBell523;4007545 said:
I think everyone wanted us to re-sign Free, just at a reasonable price.

4 years/32 mil is a lot less than nearly all of us expected him to get. Can't blame other posters for considering alternatives when there was talk of Free getting 10+mill a year.

I don't know him at all, but he just never seemed like the egotistical kind of guy to demand every last dime. Jerry has been known to be generous and get these kinds of deals done. I just figured it'd be no different this time.

It's a win win. Free gets to play 4 years, get paid, and probably sign another 4 year contract if he's healthy.

Smart move is you ask me.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
JBell523;4007576 said:
I wonder if Free took a bit of a paycut to stay with Dallas.

If he did, he just earned a spot in my top 5 favorite players.
At 8 million a year I would think no is the answer. I would guess that its the amount TB was willing to play since its the same as the LT they re-signed last year. Then Jerry matched.

Reaction score
Damnit it better not be 6 years.. He's going to have to show me alot more than being solid on a team that was horrible for over half the year .

JBond

Reaction score
Bluestang;4007526 said:
Where is that clown Iman Roshi or whatever his name is??????:laugh2:

Show some respect. Rosh is a good guy. He was the scribe for us for a long time. I don't agree with all he says, but the guy bleeds silver and blue with light green pants.

gmoney112

Reaction score
texbumthelife;4007438 said:
Now what can I attribute the extra heavy skidmarks in my pantaloons to? Way to take the air out of the doosh, Jerry.

This post made me laugh so hard.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
JBond;4007620 said:
Show some respect. Rosh is a good guy. He was the scribe for us for a long time. I don't agree with all he says, but the guy bleeds silver and blue with light green pants.
I think Jerry has made him lose his mind.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
Impossible. I was told by the a good percentage of this board that Jerry screwed this whole thing up by not franchising him and we were certain to lose Free to the Bucs or someone else.