Signed by Cowboys Cowboys re-sign RB Rico Dowdle

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Yeah I believe he was running pretty good in one game, then the injury. They need a bruiser if Elliot is gone. I think there is a standing offer for Elliot if he don’t get what he wants in FA. Likely a low offer. Was a strange deal, after the season you see the headlines that Elliot offered to take a pay cut, then Cowboys said they were going to make Elliot a low offer and then Elliot was set to talk after the combine. Then he is released. No mention of what the offer was.
Would make sense, FO and Zeke probably talked about it, "Hey check out FA and see what you get, if its no higher than what we want to pay your back here" Im wondering if they have to make the desicion before a certain date for the dead cap not to count though.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
I really hope they're not content with going into the season with Pollard, Davis and Dowdle.
Next month all 32 teams participate in a draft. It's an interesting concept where you pick young players mostly from varius colleges around the country. The catch is there is 7 rounds and most teams will only get to pick 1 player per round. The Cowboys will also receive a few extra picks for players lost ect. It works out okay because the people that are being drafted are usually young talent. In these 7 rounds, a lot of times, there are some pretty good players who know how to run the football. They are usually called RB's but on occasion they could be a Full back. The cool thing is, you can actually find some pretty decent talent in the middle rounds of players who can carry a football. If you want more info on it go to google and type. NFL DRAFT 2023. Hope I could help!

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
Next month all 32 teams participate in a draft. It's an interesting concept where you pick young players mostly from varius colleges around the country. The catch is there is 7 rounds and most teams will only get to pick 1 player per round. The Cowboys will also receive a few extra picks for players lost ect. It works out okay because the people that are being drafted are usually young talent. In these 7 rounds, a lot of times, there are some pretty good players who know how to run the football. They are usually called RB's but on occasion they could be a Full back. The cool thing is, you can actually find some pretty decent talent in the middle rounds of players who can carry a football. If you want more info on it go to google and type. NFL DRAFT 2023. Hope I could help!
Love it. This needs to be stickied and highlighted in red.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
jones boys love their guys!
and he is cheap, stephen loves that I bet, just write up contract, and show him where to sign and he signs it.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Yeah I believe he was running pretty good in one game, then the injury. They need a bruiser if Elliot is gone. I think there is a standing offer for Elliot if he don’t get what he wants in FA. Likely a low offer. Was a strange deal, after the season you see the headlines that Elliot offered to take a pay cut, then Cowboys said they were going to make Elliot a low offer and then Elliot was set to talk after the combine. Then he is released. No mention of what the offer was.
It would strike me as odd to bring Elliott back after all the outpouring of official statements. Usually that means a permanent breakup. I don't expect Elliott back because of that and I'm sure his agents already had an idea of his market already so would have negotiated with the Cowboys.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
It would strike me as odd to bring Elliott back after all the outpouring of official statements. Usually that means a permanent breakup. I don't expect Elliott back because of that and I'm sure his agents already had an idea of his market already so would have negotiated with the Cowboys.
its not that far fetched, but i still dont know if he comes back to Dallas the dead money would be erased because he signs a new contract, I'm assuming there is a date it would go hard on the bottom line.

conner01

Reaction score
Well, he can’t stay healthy but I suppose he’ll play on special teams here and there assuming he makes it through camp.
He didn’t last year lol
Solid ST player but just have to see if he makes the team

glimmerman

Reaction score
its not that far fetched, but i still dont know if he comes back to Dallas the dead money would be erased because he signs a new contract, I'm assuming there is a date it would go hard on the bottom line.
Are you sure about the money. I think he gets paid like 6 million whether he is there or not dont he. If he is getting paid the 6 then anything on top of it is new money whether it’s Cowboys or another team. I was thinking maybe JJ said we will pay you 3 million if you can’t find another team or decide to stay. Do you think a team will offer him 4-5 million for a year. I have no clue what teams are going to offer him. I will miss his blocking ability.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I like him better than Ronald Jones. Not that that’s saying much.
Why? I don't understand statements like this one. Are they just for grandstanding? Jones has at least had some success in this league. Dowdle has done nothing.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Are you sure about the money. I think he gets paid like 6 million whether he is there or not dont he. If he is getting paid the 6 then anything on top of it is new money whether it’s Cowboys or another team. I was thinking maybe JJ said we will pay you 3 million if you can’t find another team or decide to stay. Do you think a team will offer him 4-5 million for a year. I have no clue what teams are going to offer him. I will miss his blocking ability.
My understanding is if a new contract is signed it would negate the dead money fro the old, the only thing i dont know is if there is a deadline date to do the new contract before the old dead cap goes hard to the bottom line

glimmerman

Reaction score
My understanding is if a new contract is signed it would negate the dead money fro the old, the only thing i dont know is if there is a deadline date to do the new contract before the old dead cap goes hard to the bottom line
Ok. I thought if we released him then we automatically save 10 and he gets paid 6 no matter what. Except I am not sure if we are doing it officially on June 1st. After that he gets the 6 million and anyone can sign him to a new contract for whatever amount. Heck if he gets 6 million then 4 would get him 10 for the year. Not 16 but good haul for a RB..

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Ok. I thought if we released him then we automatically save 10 and he gets paid 6 no matter what. Except I am not sure if we are doing it officially on June 1st. After that he gets the 6 million and anyone can sign him to a new contract for whatever amount. Heck if he gets 6 million then 4 would get him 10 for the year. Not 16 but good haul for a RB..
Im pretty sure if he resigns here for 3 mill by the deadline date we only owe him 3 forget the 6mill i dont know what that date is though. Earlier this month i was saying that would be best case for the team because you either pay 6mill without him or like 3 and he is your goaline blocking back

Mr_437

Reaction score
I like what Rico offers with his STs ability, and he's a tough runner who hasn't gotten a chance in the pros. Between Jones, Dowdle and Davis there should be good competition for that final RB3 spot.