Twitter: Cowboys restructure the contracts for offensive lineman Martin, Smith & La'el Collins

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
A mega contract for a mediocre QB who broke a leg and dislocated an ankle and restructures for two OL, Smith and Collins, who played a total of 2(?) games last year before surgeries. Yeah, what could go wrong with this thinking?

On the bright side, at least it wasn’t restructures for Elliott, Lawrence, and Jaylon Smith. Keeping my hopes up for all three being gone next year.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
If they also restructure Coop and DLaw, which are probably more obvious than Smith and Collins, and then cut Jones, and a couple of others, we should actually have quite a bit to play with.

Flamma

Reaction score
Lotta cap space now. Between Dak and these guys we're almost 40 mill down from where we were yesterday

I'm not sure where that math is coming from. Dak didn't clear any space, he cost space. He's just cheaper than he was last year. Spotrac didn't update the restructures, but our top 51 was 2 million under the cap. Add the 17 million makes 19 million under the cap. Add rookies, and as of right now Dallas has 10 million. I'm sure there's more to come however.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I'm not sure where that math is coming from. Dak didn't clear any space, he cost space. He's just cheaper than he was last year. Spotrac didn't update the restructures, but our top 51 was 2 million under the cap. Add the 17 million makes 19 million under the cap. Add rookies, and as of right now Dallas has 10 million. I'm sure there's more to come however.
His cap hit last year was over $31 million and the tag this year was $37.7 and his new cap hit is $22.2

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Thanks for the cap update. I wonder if we are about to go all in?

Keanu Neal seems like a target. Imagine we'll grab a 1 tech as well and a vet CB on a year to year deal (Sherman would be my choice).

Make those moves and we will be well placed to go BPA at #10. I'm hoping for the TE

Reactions: CWR

AbeBeta

Reaction score

He would have counted 37 mill. Now he counts around 20

Flamma

Reaction score
His cap hit last year was over $31 million and the tag this year was $37.7 and his new cap hit is $22.2

What his cap hit would have been was never realized. That's not clearing cap space.

If your car doesn't start and you have to pay 50 bucks for an Uber, but end up starting your car and only paying 5 for gas. Do you then say, WoW! I have 45 extra bucks.

Adreme

Reaction score
What his cap hit would have been was never realized. That's not clearing cap space.

If your car doesn't start and you have to pay 50 bucks for an Uber, but end up starting your car and only paying 5 for gas. Do you then say, WoW! I have 45 extra bucks.

Yes. Yes you do because you were stuck with 2 costs and you had to pay one no matter what and you got to pay the lesser one.

Flamma

Reaction score
He would have counted 37 mill. Now he counts around 20

Would have. This is what happened. Forget what could have or would have. Dallas had a certain amount of cap space before they signed Dak. Dak was not on the books. After signing Dak Dallas has 22.2 million less as a result of that signing. Then add the 17 million in restructures.