Twitter: Cowboys restructure the contracts for offensive lineman Martin, Smith & La'el Collins

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Would have. This is what happened. Forget what could have or would have. Dallas had a certain amount of cap space before they signed Dak. Dak was not on the books. After signing Dak Dallas has 22.2 million less as a result of that signing. Then add the 17 million in restructures.

Please. We'd be sitting here today with him tagged at 37 mill. Now he counts much less

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Would have. This is what happened. Forget what could have or would have. Dallas had a certain amount of cap space before they signed Dak. Dak was not on the books. After signing Dak Dallas has 22.2 million less as a result of that signing. Then add the 17 million in restructures.

Whatever.

We had about 40 million of space not including the moves today. That's a ton of money

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I hope now that Dak has his money that he will continue to eat beans and taters like he used to.

Flamma

Reaction score
Whatever.

We had about 40 million of space not including the moves today. That's a ton of money

Again, I don't know where you're getting that. Hop on over to Spotrac and see for yourself. We have 2 million less than what they're currently posting. Hint, It's not even close to 40 million. But they haven't added the restructures yet. I don't know where you're getting 40 million.

blueblood70

Reaction score
59873262.jpg

blueblood70

Reaction score
tags deal doesnt matter Dak or another high end starting qb would have counted heavily on the cap..and?? so what no qb play the wishbone triple option..?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
18-19 million under the cap doesn't leave a ton of room. Draft picks and they always need to bank some money just in case they need it during the season etc.

Flamma

Reaction score
tags deal doesnt matter Dak or another high end starting qb would have counted heavily on the cap..and?? so what no qb play the wishbone triple option..?

It would work against our defense. I think people are counting not having to pay Dak 37.7 as a 15 million dollar cap clear. It isn't. He was never on the books for that amount. Dallas saved money, they did not receive anything.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
18-19 million under the cap doesn't leave a ton of room. Draft picks and they always need to bank some money just in case they need it during the season etc.

I know...at least they will have a nice bed to sleep in.

Hadenough

Reaction score

Finally feels like we're moving, doesn't it? Cowboys!

I can understand Collins and Martin but I'm freaking pissed Tyron is going to be sticking around. He's been in decline and they should be looking at parting ways with this albatross.

Daillest88

Reaction score
You’re right.. Cooper and Lawrence could add another 25 million

tm1119

Reaction score
Afraid a Demarcus Ware like ending is coming for Tyron...

Unfortunately can’t think much about Collins because we have no real idea what his injury was/is going forward. Have to trust (yikes) that his outlook is positive

Restructuring Martin seemed obvious. He was beat up last year but no reason to think that it was anything that will affect him long term

speedkilz88

Reaction score

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If they also restructure Coop and DLaw, which are probably more obvious than Smith and Collins, and then cut Jones, and a couple of others, we should actually have quite a bit to play with.

I thought Lawrence and Cooper would be done before the offensive linemen, but either way, we've got plenty of options to create space. These moves more or less allow us to sign our own FAs and draft picks to fill out the roster. There may be some wiggle room there, if the existing cap space is $9 million, to add a cheap outside FA or two

We'll need at least one of those other moves to be done to do more than that.

Flamma

Reaction score
He literally was on the tag yesterday to today.

I'm not even sure what you mean. We did not gain any extra cap space by signing Dak. Zero, none. Before Dak was signed he was not on the books. The Cowboys had a little over 20 million in space. After signing Dak they lost 22.2 million in space, not gain 15 million. Which seems to be what people think. If you look now, Dallas has almost 1.8 million in cap space. Add 17 million for restructures, and subtract 2 million since they were going by 184.5 million, and the cap came out at 182.5 million.