Twitter: Cowboys restructure the contracts for offensive lineman Martin, Smith & La'el Collins

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Their contracts restructured to create $17 million in cap space.

Sorry, I do not do twitter to post. Can someone post it.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
My initial reaction to all the TE draft talk is to pass on the idea, however, to think about how dangerous this offense would be with a legit TE makes one giggity. :D

I don't think that's a guy you can pass on. TEs generally take a bit of time - even Tony Gonzalez and Jason Witten were both meh in their first years. You grab this guy and it really soften the eventual loss of Gallup.

ondaedg

Reaction score
I think the reason the cap space went negative is because we placed the tag on Dak as a procedural move yesterday prior to signing the contract. If they signed the contract then Dak’s cap hit is at $22.2mil. And right now spotrac and overthecap has us with $21mil and $20mil of cap space free.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score

Finally feels like we're moving, doesn't it? Cowboys!

I have been saying this for weeks now....the most likely to be restructured were Tank, Collins and Martin. A bit surprised that they also did Tyron but I dont think they are done. I expect Jones to be cut any day, and Olawale already was. Tank, Anthony Brown and Jarwin are the next most likely for restructure and if we need a big shot of money, Cooper can be done for up to 14m.

This makes me think that maybe they are gonna swing for the fences, which only makes sense with what they are paying the QB.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What his cap hit would have been was never realized. That's not clearing cap space.

If your car doesn't start and you have to pay 50 bucks for an Uber, but end up starting your car and only paying 5 for gas. Do you then say, WoW! I have 45 extra bucks.
That analogy doesn't work. They weren't going to be stuck without a car (Dak) if they didn't get a new contract signed. They would have paid the $37.5 million under the franchise tag if they hadn't agreed to a new contract, so the new contract having less of a cap impact does save cap space.

Flamma

Reaction score
That analogy doesn't work. They weren't going to be stuck without a car (Dak) if they didn't get a new contract signed. They would have paid the $37.5 million under the franchise tag if they hadn't agreed to a new contract, so the new contract having less of a cap impact does save cap space.

It is a good analogy. If you don't get your car started you would have paid 50 bucks. But since you did you only paid 5. Getting that car started had less impact on your wallet.

I could be wrong, but I got the impression people thought it cleared up space. It saved money as opposed to tagging him. But who says he was ever going to play on the tag? I can see tag and sign, or tag and trade. But I highly doubt tag and play was ever an option. Why? Because it makes 0 sense.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is a good analogy. If you don't get your car started you would have paid 50 bucks. But since you did you only paid 5. Getting that car started had less impact on your wallet.

I could be wrong, but I got the impression people thought it cleared up space. It saved money as opposed to tagging him. But who says he was ever going to play on the tag? I can see tag and sign, or tag and trade. But I highly doubt tag and play was ever an option. Why? Because it makes 0 sense.
The problem with your analogy is that it assumes that either the car works, or the car isn't available to use at all.

That's not the case with Dak. He wasn't broken and unavailable to use. The team was going to use him even without the new contract

In addition, your analogy assumes that a person had go find another option for transportation that would cost more money.

Again, that isn't the situation with Dak. The Cowboys were never going to have to find another option at QB, and what they did do counted LESS against the salary cap.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

I agree with you... you could be wrong.

George

a legend in your own mind
Reaction score
Restructuring contracts is what teams do when they’ve overspent on inferior players whereby future money is shortchanged. It would be better if the team would be more efficient and effective from the start. Zack, Collins and Smith are the most important players on offense yet we spend a ton on Dak, Zeke and Cooper. Another top notch OL would have been a smart move.... remember 13-3 when we had a great OL.

waving monkey

Reaction score
My tea leaf reading isn't tops but I don't see Slater drafted now. Might mean nothing.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
My tea leaf reading isn't tops but I don't see Slater drafted now. Might mean nothing.
Slater not being drafted now?
Might want to check if thats really a tea leaf, just saying as a concerned friend.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
He’s signed thru 2024. He’ll be restructured before then to reduce his cap number. Bank on it.

With the CAP issues in 2022 we wont restructure Cooper's deal as it would guarantee us keeping him.

We'll wait until after 2021 and decide whether to keep him or re-sign Gallup and save $16m by cutting Coops.