Twitter: Cowboys restructure the contracts for offensive lineman Martin, Smith & La'el Collins

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Odd to extend Smith with his age and health issues, when we don't really need the money. Maybe Jerry is planning on doing a little shopping this offseason, with the reduced cap making for a buyers market? Hope so.

I'm a cap cheapo, but I think the stars are aligned for this offseason to be a good opportunity for good value before the new tv contracts hit.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I'm not even sure what you mean. We did not gain any extra cap space by signing Dak. Zero, none. Before Dak was signed he was not on the books. The Cowboys had a little over 20 million in space. After signing Dak they lost 22.2 million in space, not gain 15 million. Which seems to be what people think. If you look now, Dallas has almost 1.8 million in cap space. Add 17 million for restructures, and subtract 2 million since they were going by 184.5 million, and the cap came out at 182.5 million.
Adjusted salary cap 209,962,519
Active contracts 199,866,411
Dead cap 10,278,018
2020 rollover 25,443,439
Total (ALL) 209,144,429
Total (TOP 51) 200,744,429
Estimated cap space (ALL) 818,090
Estimated cap space (TOP 51) 9,218,90

Tussinman

Reaction score
I'm freaking pissed Tyron is going to be sticking around. He's been in decline and they should be looking at parting ways with this albatross.
100 bucks says if he makes the pro bowl next year you'll come on here and say "we have the best doctors in the league" and "he's a hall of fame player, of course he came back from injury and kept on trucking along".

Gonna be alot of people switching stances and eating crow next year

Flamma

Reaction score
Adjusted salary cap 209,962,519
Active contracts 199,866,411
Dead cap 10,278,018
2020 rollover 25,443,439
Total (ALL) 209,144,429
Total (TOP 51) 200,744,429
Estimated cap space (ALL) 818,090
Estimated cap space (TOP 51) 9,218,90

That's a bit less than I thought. But I knew it wasn't going to be some the numbers being thrown around. That's barely enough for rookies.

Creeper

Reaction score
I am glad they did not touch Lawrence's contract. If they leave it alone they can get out of it after this year.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Keanu Neal seems like a target. Imagine we'll grab a 1 tech as well and a vet CB on a year to year deal (Sherman would be my choice).

Make those moves and we will be well placed to go BPA at #10. I'm hoping for the TE

My initial reaction to all the TE draft talk is to pass on the idea, however, to think about how dangerous this offense would be with a legit TE makes one giggity. :D

ultron

Reaction score
This team is about to dominate the nfc east for the next decade+

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
That's a bit less than I thought. But I knew it wasn't going to be some the numbers being thrown around. That's barely enough for rookies.

It's before the restructures, though. With that and the restructures, we've got enough for the rookies, re-signing many of our own FAs (the low-cost ones) and maybe an outside FA or two (depending on cost).

If we want to go quite a bit harder on outside FAs, we can create more cap space with restructures for Lawrence, Cooper and Elliott. However, there's no indication that we'll do more than sign a few hole-fillers instead of more costly upgrades.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It would work against our defense. I think people are counting not having to pay Dak 37.7 as a 15 million dollar cap clear. It isn't. He was never on the books for that amount. Dallas saved money, they did not receive anything.

the defense that dak under his rookie deal zeke and others all on rookie deals that they never truly went out and took risks to build? maybe its more motivation now , who knows..

does it truly matter man? seriously where did fans become GMs & act as if they have control, follow them, dont follow them but worrying about contracts is moot..

we cheer for the team fielded each tear.. if not are you really fan, if all you want to do is criticize off field bs? talk about nothing but negativity. Gets old..

yes Daks contract is ridiculous , hes overpaid and joins long list of overpaid QBs around the NFL..but its over hes here hes our guy and now its time to sweep the $$$ under the rug and start watching as team is put together because the 16 games is what im here for and been here for since 1980..

im a CFFL , that wont change, its an addiction , its built into my make-up but oddly enough i am a yankee, parents followed my Grandma and Uncle who moved to Arlington 5 years prior and well my dad and my Brooklynn born mother who was yankees and Giants fan because of her parents etc dragged me to TX when i was 10 and very impressionable and didnt realize after watching the dreaded CATCH Game in the loss to the hated 49ers i somehow was caching the bug..

at school it slowly became Friday night lights and i was hooked , i turned against the family and on FB all my aunts and cousins well we battle it out now so I not only am a fan but i had to turned on my family to be one..

so as much as this place is entertaining arguing over the dumbest non-football related topics ie Money and business side of the Dc, I truly dont care..I look forward to each season the same way, with hope and anticipation this could be the year..

Im not blind not drinking the koolaid, im just huge fan and look forward to each season being isolated as a unique one off chance to come together..

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Tyron is the only one I have concerns about just due to the nature of the injury and age. As for Restructuring I am a bit surprised that Dlaw was not one of them considering he will be the biggest cap hit this upcoming season at 25 mill followed by Cooper

Swagger

Reaction score
the rollover salary cap from last season is a right bonus to be fair

Flamma

Reaction score
the defense that dak under his rookie deal zeke and others all on rookie deals that they never truly went out and took risks to build? maybe its more motivation now , who knows..

does it truly matter man? seriously where did fans become GMs & act as if they have control, follow them, dont follow them but worrying about contracts is moot..

we cheer for the team fielded each tear.. if not are you really fan, if all you want to do is criticize off field bs? talk about nothing but negativity. Gets old..

yes Daks contract is ridiculous , hes overpaid and joins long list of overpaid QBs around the NFL..but its over hes here hes our guy and now its time to sweep the $$$ under the rug and start watching as team is put together because the 16 games is what im here for and been here for since 1980..

im a CFFL , that wont change, its an addiction , its built into my make-up but oddly enough i am a yankee, parents followed my Grandma and Uncle who moved to Arlington 5 years prior and well my dad and my Brooklynn born mother who was yankees and Giants fan because of her parents etc dragged me to TX when i was 10 and very impressionable and didnt realize after watching the dreaded CATCH Game in the loss to the hated 49ers i somehow was caching the bug..

at school it slowly became Friday night lights and i was hooked , i turned against the family and on FB all my aunts and cousins well we battle it out now so I not only am a fan but i had to turned on my family to be one..

so as much as this place is entertaining arguing over the dumbest non-football related topics ie Money and business side of the Dc, I truly dont care..I look forward to each season the same way, with hope and anticipation this could be the year..

Im not blind not drinking the koolaid, im just huge fan and look forward to each season being isolated as a unique one off chance to come together..

I hear you. But there's more to it than just over paying. Where the front office has failed for the past 25 years is roster building and motivating players to buy in. You don't have this type of failure without mitigating circumstances. Dak's new deal is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. It was structured for 6 years for a reason. Let's see what Dallas does over the next two years.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I hear you. But there's more to it than just over paying. Where the front office has failed for the past 25 years is roster building and motivating players to buy in. You don't have this type of failure without mitigating circumstances. Dak's new deal is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. It was structured for 6 years for a reason. Let's see what Dallas does over the next two years.
Levels of bad doesnt matter, its is good for the overall team that i know. theres no way paying one player that much of the cap can help when you saw the other side of the ball the last 2 seasons..

Flamma

Reaction score
Levels of bad doesnt matter, its is good for the overall team that i know. theres no way paying one player that much of the cap can help when you saw the other side of the ball the last 2 seasons..

If the defense plays this way, no quarterback can help this team. We've seen it with Romo for how many years? Do you think Brady thought of the Cowboys even once? No. He wants to win. He puts himself in the best position to do so.

I see a silver lining for 2022. We had a good 2020 draft. Get another good 2021 draft and restructure Dak's 2022 cap hit and 2022 we can make a run. It's right there. I can see what they're trying to do just by how they structured Dak's contract. Will it work? I don't know. But I'm an optimist and I'm hoping for the best.