Twitter: Cowboys restructure Wittens contract

coult44

Reaction score
We need to free up money for a few more 4th tier guys like Swaim, Wilcox, and Heath

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People wanted to downplay it but the sideline incident slapping the clipboard out of the coach's hand didn't play well in other league offices.
Disrupting a game as he did, on top of his other problem, surely didn't enhance his chances of catching on with another team. I don't think he realizes how losing it on the sideline reinforced some thinking that he could act out in anger and frustration in other situations.

I think if the Cowboys were interested, he would already be on the team. If they waited until now after knowing what they did about the other DE's, that's wacky unless it was a money issue? Maybe Hardy figures some money is better than no money? If he doesn't play somewhere, he's just torched his own career. I predicted all along that he'd be back but it's not looking like it now.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Do you know how much accelerated signing bonus that would add? Romo cannot and will not be cut.

It's actually not that much because of his large salaries that would come off the books. It's something like a $5-6 million additional cap hit to cut him this year. Next year, they can actually save cap dollars by cutting him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe it's so they have the option to cut Romo should Dak show well and Romo get reinjured. If Dak proves to ready to go now, you have to get Romo's contract off the books as soon as possible so you can start rebuilding the defense.
Romo's salary for 2016 is now guaranteed.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I do not think the Cowboys are allowed by league rules to restructure till after 4th year completed.
You are close....they can't offer an extension until after the 3rd season for a drafted player and after 2 seasons for an UDFA like Collins......DAL also has the 5th year option for Martin for so he is already under contract thru 2018.....there is no rush for an extension

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Why would they push his money back?
They do it with almost everyone because it is smart football......they are now at 10m under the cap going into the season and have flexibility to make trades, sign players or cope with injuries......if they don't spend it they can just roll it over to next year

JPostSam

Reaction score
Maybe it's so they have the option to cut Romo should Dak show well and Romo get reinjured. If Dak proves to ready to go now, you have to get Romo's contract off the books as soon as possible so you can start rebuilding the defense.

yeah, romo's best friend restructured his deal so they could cut romo.