News: Cowboys' Rod Smith: Inefficient in contract year

blueblood70

Reaction score
Coaching staff does not know how to utilize offensive players. If the Cowboys had Kareem Hunt, Tyreek Hill, and Travis Kelce added to the team, it would probably not make too much of a difference. Cannot run with the horses, if you cannot walk with footmen.
sorry but that so ridiculous, if we had those players we would definitely know how to utilize them but add Mahomes to it, not hard to develop and offense with superstars at all the skill positions..you dont need all that see Brady and his role players, they moved the ball just fine with timely throwing but the dink in dunk is in full swing 2 Ints yet they are in the SB every year it seems..the best coaches like BB can do what reid does with half the players..I like Reid but its not hard to run college offense with QB who ran the same offense in college when you have all those skill players to run it..I agree our coaches leave something to be desired playing basic football most games but somehow we made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs and came within score to move on? they made it one game further with that roster, really, that awesome huh? genius..;") iM ready for just afew subtle changes and really a lot of it was used down the stretch to get us back into the layoffs but SL who is gladly gone now seems to go away from that too much..he was inconsistent in creativity but not like he didnt have that in this offense, a better playcaller in game staretgist can take this same offense , same players, and get to a SB..you give us those 3 guys you mentioned and they will get them the ball..

Let me know when they figure out how to play defense.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
sorry but that so ridiculous, if we had those players we would definitely know how to utilize them but add Mahomes to it, not hard to develop and offense with superstars at all the skill positions..you dont need all that see Brady and his role players, they moved the ball just fine with timely throwing but the dink in dunk is in full swing 2 Ints yet they are in the SB every year it seems..the best coaches like BB can do what reid does with half the players..I like Reid but its not hard to run college offense with QB who ran the same offense in college when you have all those skill players to run it..I agree our coaches leave something to be desired playing basic football most games but somehow we made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs and came within score to move on? they made it one game further with that roster, really, that awesome huh? genius..;") iM ready for just afew subtle changes and really a lot of it was used down the stretch to get us back into the layoffs but SL who is gladly gone now seems to go away from that too much..he was inconsistent in creativity but not like he didnt have that in this offense, a better playcaller in game staretgist can take this same offense , same players, and get to a SB..you give us those 3 guys you mentioned and they will get them the ball..

Let me know when they figure out how to play defense.

Next time before you state a post is ridiculous; do not add more negative statements to it, and stick out your chest like you schooled someone. You added, Mahomes, a new OC, and better playcalling to bolster your petty argument; while I only mentioned three additions. Making the second round of the playoffs is good, but the goal each year is to win the Super Bowl. From reading your post, I deter that you are no closer to being a genius than anyone else on the board. Learn how to answer a post without wielding your ignorance of decorum.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Next time before you state a post is ridiculous; do not add more negative statements to it, and stick out your chest like you schooled someone. You added, Mahomes, a new OC, and better playcalling to bolster your petty argument; while I only mentioned three additions. Making the second round of the playoffs is good, but the goal each year is to win the Super Bowl. From reading your post, I deter that you are no closer to being a genius than anyone else on the board. Learn how to answer a post without wielding your ignorance of decorum.
because FACT, they had Alex smith and the same cast and didnt go as far, adding Mahomes made Reid look more like genius, not the 3 you mentioned about., I guarantee you add at ;least even Kelce to this mix and he would be utilized..so yes your statement is ridiculous as the one most made that Amari wouldn't do anything in this offense and was a reach, that was proven wrong, you add weapons they will flourish even here..

did the Chiefs make the SB??maybe I past out and missed it..odd thing all that talent on offense not good enough defense and they made it ONE MORE GAME then by CZ standards the most horrible GM, Coach, and QB In the NFL are the Cowboys and we came within 8points of another game on the road against better team Maybe Kelce, Hill, and hunt on our team, well puts us over the Rams, im pretty sure it would have.

CCBoy

Reaction score
...After watching that game and seeing how well the Rams offense executed with their best player, not at 100%, it raises an interesting question if the Cowboys could improve their offense by paring their All-Pro runner Elliott with a more capable backup of his own.

Rod Smith really struggled as Elliott’s backup this season, gaining only 127 yards on 44 carries, a 2.9 yards per attempt average. When Elliott came out of the game, Dallas really was not able to do anything in the running game, but with a better backup running back this could be a very different story next season. With the current situation, the Cowboys are in cap wise, while they do have a lot of money to spend, with big-name impending free agents in the next few seasons they likely will not be in the market to spend money on a backup running back in free agency. Although this will likely be the case, the draft would be an outstanding place to find a talented runner to pair with Elliott in the backfield next season.

Taking a talented runner like Devin Singletary from FAU or Elijah Holyfield from Georgia in the third or fourth round would be an excellent move, as paired with Elliott the duo would be a backfield that could consistently give opposing defenses fits. If when Elliott came out of the game Dallas could still continue to consistently run the ball for solid gains, it would only help Dallas’s star runner when he came back into the game facing an even more demoralized and gassed defense.

Another benefit of adding a talented backup runner would be the less toll that has to be taken by Elliott. This season the former Ohio State Buckeye led the NFL in rushes at 304 and also led the NFL in total touches at 381. If Dallas is keen on extending Elliott to a new deal after his contract is up, they would be smart to add some talent behind him so they do not run him into the ground after five years. Having an All-Pro runner is an outstanding thing, but as the Los Angeles Rams showed paring him with a very capable backup can take you to the next level. Don’t be surprised if the Cowboys follow this mold and go out and get a talented runner to backup Ezekiel Elliott next season...

https://thelandryhat.com/2019/01/23/dallas-cowboys-running-back-depth/

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
Elliot can create his own space but Rod needs good offensive blocking and we didnt always have good offensive blocking. Biut also it takes time to get in the rhythm and coming off the bench cold doesnt help Rod get into the rhythm. If Rod goes to another team that has a good offensive line, he may be quite a pleasant surprise.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
because FACT, they had Alex smith and the same cast and didnt go as far, adding Mahomes made Reid look more like genius, not the 3 you mentioned about., I guarantee you add at ;least even Kelce to this mix and he would be utilized..so yes your statement is ridiculous as the one most made that Amari wouldn't do anything in this offense and was a reach, that was proven wrong, you add weapons they will flourish even here..

did the Chiefs make the SB??maybe I past out and missed it..odd thing all that talent on offense not good enough defense and they made it ONE MORE GAME then by CZ standards the most horrible GM, Coach, and QB In the NFL are the Cowboys and we came within 8points of another game on the road against better team Maybe Kelce, Hill, and hunt on our team, well puts us over the Rams, im pretty sure it would have.

Blue, they had, I am talking about what we have. Amari made a difference, but we are not discussing him. I said with Dak, Elliott, Hill, Hunt and Kelce, this coaching staff would find a way to make them mediocre and I stand by what I said. The players that we now have are talented enough to win the NFC championship and go to the Super Bowl, but they were not ready. My point is, and I am sorry for being snarky, our coaching staff failed to properly game plan for the Rams. I was not able to see the game, due to a family emergency, but the game summary and a few videos proved they were not ready.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Blue, they had, I am talking about what we have. Amari made a difference, but we are not discussing him. I said with Dak, Elliott, Hill, Hunt and Kelce, this coaching staff would find a way to make them mediocre and I stand by what I said. The players that we now have are talented enough to win the NFC championship and go to the Super Bowl, but they were not ready. My point is, and I am sorry for being snarky, our coaching staff failed to properly game plan for the Rams. I was not able to see the game, due to a family emergency, but the game summary and a few videos proved they were not ready.
agree they weren't prepared enough for the reversal of game plans Rams threw out at us BUT and ill repeat IF they and all those extra stars they would have at least matched the rams a bit more with bigger plays. we lost by score , 8 points if you dont think even Kelce alone wouldn't have made that difference, well your hate runs so deep its effecting your opinion..

agree to disagree and moving on..