Cowboys Rumors: 'More Progress' Made for Dak Prescott Contract Than Amari Cooper

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I didn’t see anyway possible he was getting less than 25 million per. He’s second in wins since coming into the league. He has made some dumb *** throws but I do think he could take us to the ship.....hopefully :confused:

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
Pay the men. I'd be happy with anything under 35mm a year for Dak and somewhere between 15 and 20 million for Cooper. Throw in another 12 to 15 for Ezekiel and we are good. We might have a problem with quality of depth but you can't have everything.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Pay the men. I'd be happy with anything under 35mm a year for Dak and somewhere between 15 and 20 million for Cooper. Throw in another 12 to 15 for Ezekiel and we are good. We might have a problem with quality of depth but you can't have everything.

12 to 15 on zeke? No way. let him walk, and draft a RB.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Guy gets a lotta grief despite having saved the franchise the last few seasons.
Pay the man! He has certainly earned his spurs for a relatively smaller salary than some of the guys hauling in tons of cash.
Exactly....I'm getting a kick out of reading some of these posts.........for those that downplay "stats", which is exactly where these high numbers originate from...if stats didn't support these high numbers there would be nothing to debate.............I guess we could really be lucky and have Cooper Rush as our starting QB.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly....I'm getting a kick out of reading some of these posts.........for those that downplay "stats", which is exactly where these high numbers originate from...if stats didn't support these high numbers there would be nothing to debate.............I guess we could really be lucky and have Cooper Rush as our starting QB.
Dak may not be elite, but he has us in the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years. Guy pulls rabbits out of his hat.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
200.gif

Proof

Reaction score
I think this is because the pay scale for where Dak should fall has been established, much like it was for Lawrence. Wilson's contract set the tone for negotiations.

With Cooper, where does he fall? He's definitely the No. 1 and valued for us, but how does he compare with other No. 1 receivers. He and his agent are most likely trying to sell him as worth Odell Beckham ($18 million) or Antonio Brown ($16.8 million) money. Dallas probably wants him to take less than Sammy Watkins got last year ($16 million per year). So Dallas is probably in the range of $14 million or $15 million per year and Cooper's agents around $17 million to $18 million. It may be hard to get them to come off the Brown range, but Dallas should be ultimately looking at paying him around $16.5 million per year.

Beckham got $65 million guaranteed (five-year deal), but Brown and Watkins only got $30 million guaranteed on three-year deals, so it wouldn't surprise me if Cooper is looking for a higher guarantee, either, maybe more in the $40 million range, but if he's going to get that, we need at least a four-year deal and to bring his average down some (to around $16 million — which would be better than Watkins because of the higher guarantee).

What makes you say the scale has been set for Dak but then unsure about Coop? If anything it appears the opposite given Brown and Odell and Thielen just signed deals that should be looked at. Russ and Ben don’t do anything other then set a value that there’s no realistic argument for Dak reaching.

Proof

Reaction score
I know in football terms that is cheap. I'm just saying football players are not really worth what they get paid. I'm not saying they shouldn't get what they are getting paid because they are a product of the market. You just can't ever convince me that they are worth every penny of it. There are much more valuable jobs that are worth more, but won't receive it because the public doesn't value them the same as entertainment. Same with movie stars. They make millions because of the money we spend on entertainment.

... And now I'm off that soapbox.

You’re talking societal value, and of course not. But actual value compared to the revenue their product brings in? And that’s before even getting to figurative value to the success of the team

Kaiser

Reaction score
Dak isn’t signing some incentive heavy contract. You can keep dreaming while the rest of us with common sense continue freaking out.

So you think he gets 30 Million per year guaranteed? What would your prediction be on his contract?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yes. I don't see him getting over $17 million, but I can see him wanting more than $30 million in total guarantees. Pay-out, if typical for Dallas, will be a little lower his first year (I'm thinking $8-$10 million) and then increase from there with the possibility of restructures. If he's wanting a three-year deal with $40 million in guarantees, I could see Dallas being reluctant to do that. I'm not saying that's what he's seeking, but based on the other contracts, I could see that being the issue.

Not sure $40M would cut-it. I could be wrong but I think Dez got $40M guaranteed what 4-5 years ago. I'm thinking a min $50M......

Cowboys22

Reaction score
So you think he gets 30 Million per year guaranteed? What would your prediction be on his contract?

No, no one does. He will get between $28 and $29.5 million average annual base without a bunch of incentives. There may be some but they will be on top of the above mentioned base salary. He will likely get between $80 and $90 million guaranteed in the first three years. Way too much if you ask me. I’d make him play out his deal and franchise him hoping someone would give me a 1st and 3rd for him.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
What makes you say the scale has been set for Dak but then unsure about Coop? If anything it appears the opposite given Brown and Odell and Thielen just signed deals that should be looked at. Russ and Ben don’t do anything other then set a value that there’s no realistic argument for Dak reaching.

I think the Wilson deal sets an upper limit to what a franchise starting QB can expect. Naturally, there's going to be some disagreement between the two sides on where Dak should fall. I don't think there's any way he gets as much as Wilson, and I think he knows that based on Wilson's accomplishments. But the argument for getting close to that number will be that Prescott is younger and on the rise.

With Cooper, how is he perceived as a No. 1? Oakland traded him away, so does that bring down his value. His side will probably be looking at Antonio Brown's contract from that standpoint. However, he doesn't have the skins on the wall that Brown has. Mike Evans is next at $16.5 million, then DeAndre Hopkins and Brandin Cooks at $16.2 million. Following them is Sammy Watkins. Where does Cooper belong on that scale? That's more what it is about IMO than particular deals.

Cooper's side is going to argue that he deserves to get paid like Brown. While Dallas is probably going to look to pay him a little more than Watkins, especially since there are some other receivers better than Watkins get paid less.

So I guess I'm not really saying that there isn't a scale for Cooper. I just think it's harder to say what the bar should be for him. Beckham's deal is definitely above the bar. I think Brown's is too, but I don't think his side will.