Cowboys schedule is brutal

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see this year's schedule like all the previous years’ schedules. They’re all winnable and they’re all lose-able. The difference between a top 5 and bottom 5 NFL team is not very big.

IMO, Looking at our favorite team’s schedule in July and judging which teams are tough is a fool’s errand- every year! They’re all going to be tough.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
They win about 6 games this year. It is what it is. Shout out to the front office for letting the skill positions atrophy to this point with their stellar foresight and vision.

I have them winning between 7-9 games this year.

zerofill

Reaction score
It's the worst QB/WR/TE group since the days of Dave Campo. Easily.

The offensive line isn't a skill position.

I said before, I have high hopes for the defense, because that is where we will need to get our big wins from, against the tough teams.

zerofill

Reaction score
No crap the offensive line isn’t a skill position. I was referring to overall offensive talent.

The skill positions are also not the worst since Campo either. But that’s a useless debate to get into.

Yeah I don't believe it is the worst since Campo... I just believe we are going to need some serious showing from our D.

Techsass

Reaction score
Leading up to the bye week, I think the Jags are probably the best team we'll face. I don't know which version of Bortles will be there that week, so we might still be OK. Norv Turner may or may not have the Panthers ready on offense, so we'll just have to see. The rest, while not exactly gimme games are all winnable.

I think the offense will probably struggle to start out the season, especially against some of the defenses they'll be up against.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yeah I don't believe it is the worst since Campo... I just believe we are going to need some serious showing from our D.

I don’t disagree there. I don’t think we can expect the offense to put up 30+ points consistently like it has in recent years.

But I also think the offense is built to be the top rushing offense in the league and play ball control. If the defense can do it’s part, then the team will be competitive.

I agree with you though. The truth is we HAVE needed some serious showing from the defense for years now. Hopefully all the recent draft picks to the defense start to show dividends.

Techsass

Reaction score
It's hard to have any real opinion on what to expect because I have absolutely no idea what our passing game is going to look like. If it's better than just OK it should be a fun season.

I can't remember ever counting on the defense to be our strength going into a season. It feels a bit weird, but I'm looking at them getting us the close wins right now.

HungryLion

Reaction score

Actually zero, one of the reasons our offensive skill positions have degraded over the past few years is because the front office has been pouring key draft picks into the defense instead. They easily could have added more receivers and tight ends instead of Taco, Chido, Jourdan Lewis, LVE, Maliek Collins, Jaylon smith, etc etc.

The truth is, I will trade some weaker offensive skill position, if it means building a better defense. Which is something the front office has clearly been trying to do. The key is, all that young defensive talent needs to develop and live up to their potential. If they do, I think the team will be better for it in the long run.

CODE_BLUE56

Reaction score
Actually zero, one of the reasons our offensive skill positions have degraded over the past few years is because the front office has been pouring key draft picks into the defense instead. They easily could have added more receivers and tight ends instead of Taco, Chido, Jourdan Lewis, LVE, Maliek Collins, Jaylon smith, etc etc.

The truth is, I will trade some weaker offensive skill position, if it means building a better defense. Which is something the front office has clearly been trying to do. The key is, all that young defensive talent needs to develop and live up to their potential. If they do, I think the team will be better for it in the long run.
This. Lack of a good defense is more difficult to overcome than having a weaker passing game.

The turnover in the passing game was going to happen sooner or later. Dez is clearly declining which is tougher to reconcile because he isn't a very technically sound receiver, Witten was on his last legs, Romo hurt leaving but he had a few years left when you consider his age and injury history.

We have a good O line and RB, an improving young defense. If you get those to work and Dak makes good decisions, this team will be a SB contender.

The receiving corps could be better, but Hurns and Gallup are good additions.

HungryLion

Reaction score
This. Lack of a good defense is more difficult to overcome than having a weaker passing game.

The turnover in the passing game was going to happen sooner or later. Dez is clearly declining which is tougher to reconcile because he isn't a very technically sound receiver, Witten was on his last legs, Romo hurt leaving but he had a few years left when you consider his age and injury history.

We have a good O line and RB, an improving young defense. If you get those to work and Dak makes good decisions, this team will be a SB contender.

The receiving corps could be better, but Hurns and Gallup are good additions.

The strategy is clearly going to be to run the ball, play ball control and try to force turnovers.

The only way the offense will be throwing more than 25 passes a game, is if something with the running game or defense is going wrong. The strategy going into a game is never going to be to air it out.

The problem will lie, in situations where the team is forced to get into a shootout, either because of committing too many turnovers or because the defense is struggling. Then they will be in some trouble.

Otherwise is going to be Zeke and a cloud of dust. Which can definitely win a lot of games. The truth is, if the OL stays healthy, our offense should be able to be as efficient as it was in 2016. Hopefully the defense can be better than 2016’s.

BigD5

Reaction score
Looks really tough to me. @ Car & @Sea with NY, Det and Jags at home .I could see a 2-4 start thinking 3-3 would be good.

And gets even tougher after Wash vs Tenn, at Phil and @ Atl all playoff teams. With NO and Phil following Wash again. That could easily be 4 or 5 more losses with 5 games in 7 weeks against playoff teams.

Fortunately ending with Indy, Tampa and NY looks more promising if we’re not already out of it.
I actually think the opposite. I think the schedule is pretty easy.

Tenn
Carolina
Detroit
Seattle
Tampa
Indy

I think most of these teams will be awful (less than .500 record by years end)

Jax and Houston will be tough games

New Orleans and Atlanta should slide back to the pack this season

And the NFC East is the NFC East.

CODE_BLUE56

Reaction score
The strategy is clearly going to be to run the ball, play ball control and try to force turnovers.

The only way the offense will be throwing more than 25 passes a game, is if something with the running game or defense is going wrong. The strategy going into a game is never going to be to air it out.

The problem will lie, in situations where the team is forced to get into a shootout, either because of committing too many turnovers or because the defense is struggling. Then they will be in some trouble.

Otherwise is going to be Zeke and a cloud of dust. Which can definitely win a lot of games. The truth is, if the OL stays healthy, our offense should be able to be as efficient as it was in 2016. Hopefully the defense can be better than 2016’s.
Yea, not sure our D will be good enough to avoid those situations on occasion. Especially against an elite level QB like Rodgers or Brady.

We have to get the front 7 to chase Zeke, tire them out, and add good protection which will help Dak out so he can shoulder more of the load when necessary.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No crap the offensive line isn’t a skill position. I was referring to overall offensive talent.

The skill positions are also not the worst since Campo either. But that’s a useless debate to get into.

Oh I thought when you responded to my comment about the skill positions being bad nd said that the OL was great that you were actually replying to what I was saying. Instead you play by your own rules.

The skill positions are really bad.

"The defense is much improved. It's not as bad as you're saying."

You win that one.

I doubt you're even old enough to know if it's the worst since Campo. It is. It's not even debatable. They have a QB who can't throw, a bunch of #3 receivers and TEs that belong in NFL Europe.