Cowboys second-round draft pick Jaylon Smith working out

Little Jr

Reaction score
I can also feel my foot. There are parts of the top of my foot that have numbness and tingles but I can feel it. Never lost feeling it. Just the ability to lift up and down and any control over my toes. 3 of them are hammered toe. Which is a whole other discussion.

Last edited:

Kaiser

Reaction score
The concepts in question are not difficult. I also noted that someone gave the 40% prognosis stating their understanding and you didn't come at them with this same take.

I have dozens of friends that are MDs or tenured faculty in technical disciplines. To amplify on the point that you can learn by reading - I was told five years ago that I have a liver growth and that it was 50/50 of being benign or being cancer. It turned out to be a rare growth called a Hepatic Adenoma that is benign but has a small chance of becoming a Carcinoma. The GI told me immediately to have open surgery to remove it.

I called a friend at Caltech who pulled every technical article on Hepatic Adenomas and read a four inch stack of technical publications. (My undergrad and MBA are basically software degrees). The problem with these growths is that if they get big enough they can rupture, but the chances of it becoming cancerous are measured entirely by size. All the articles said there had never been a rupture from one smaller than 7 cm and mine was 4.5 cm.

The GI strongly recommended open surgery because that was the book answer. The Surgeon told me it was up to me and I said I was going to observe it and never do the surgery unless it got to be 7 cm or bigger.

That was five years ago, about a year ago they changed the medical guidance from doing open surgery immediately to just monitoring it to see if it grows abnormally. In other words, my common sense decision from reading the same technical publications is now the standard medical practice.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Just finished reading an article on Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier. Dang he's a stud, ran 4.38 40 at his pro day. Anyways, is Jaylon Smith projected to be a Mike, will, or Sam linebacker?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Mine was severed. Its gone. My leg was hanging on by skin. It was just 3 weeks ago that they actually said It was saved. No more worried about that now. Lol so mine was worst than his but my Dr and multiple others have told me that the nerve damage I had which was the same nerve as Smith is very hard to over come. 50/50 chance in general. Its been 8 months and he still has no feeling and can't lift his foot. That's not good. I'm not saying it can't happen just the odds are going down not up. And him being elite athelete is why he has a better chance than me is laughable. You don't work Your nerves out in the weight room. Lol

So a type 4 then. Smiths wasn't crushed or severed but instead stretched. You had to have the nerve surgically repaired right?

Regardless, I am glad to hear that you have had some recovery. From what I understand type 4s are extremely difficult to come back from. You have ongoing improvement or no?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Just finished reading an article on Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier. Dang he's a stud, ran 4.38 40 at his pro day. Anyways, is Jaylon Smith projected to be a Mike, will, or Sam linebacker?

MIKE. He can play WILL too but we already have one.

Little Jr

Reaction score
So a type 4 then. Smiths wasn't crushed or severed but instead stretched. You had to have the nerve surgically repaired right?

Regardless, I am glad to hear that you have had some recovery. From what I understand type 4s are extremely difficult to come back from. You have ongoing improvement or no?
They haven't done anything to mine. They've been trying just to save my leg. The chances of it being save are very very slim. To the point where they're talking about fusing my foot to my ankle. Mine was worst than Smith's but he still isn't gurantee to recover. After 8 months and still cant feel it or move it up or down isn't a good thing. As bad as mine was and is I never lost feeling in my foot.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
They haven't done anything to mine. They've been trying just to save my leg. The chances of it being save are very very slim. To the point where they're talking about fusing my foot to my ankle. Mine was worst than Smith's but he still isn't gurantee to recover. After 8 months and still cant feel it or move it up or down isn't a good thing. As bad as mine was and is I never lost feeling in my foot.

He apparently has some motion and sensation but they are very coy about it. He started getting sensation back in March.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
I have dozens of friends that are MDs or tenured faculty in technical disciplines. To amplify on the point that you can learn by reading - I was told five years ago that I have a liver growth and that it was 50/50 of being benign or being cancer. It turned out to be a rare growth called a Hepatic Adenoma that is benign but has a small chance of becoming a Carcinoma. The GI told me immediately to have open surgery to remove it.

I called a friend at Caltech who pulled every technical article on Hepatic Adenomas and read a four inch stack of technical publications. (My undergrad and MBA are basically software degrees). The problem with these growths is that if they get big enough they can rupture, but the chances of it becoming cancerous are measured entirely by size. All the articles said there had never been a rupture from one smaller than 7 cm and mine was 4.5 cm.

The GI strongly recommended open surgery because that was the book answer. The Surgeon told me it was up to me and I said I was going to observe it and never do the surgery unless it got to be 7 cm or bigger.

That was five years ago, about a year ago they changed the medical guidance from doing open surgery immediately to just monitoring it to see if it grows abnormally. In other words, my common sense decision from reading the same technical publications is now the standard medical practice.
Reading really is fundamental. It's a great way to eradicate ignorance. I wish more people partook. The ones that don't really stand out in this thread.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
So internet Dr.

Are you qualified to evaluate evidence from a medical journal?

Reading don't mean anything

Really dude, Fuzzy is giving us an opinion/analysis based upon extensive research. He also states he's not a doctor and you're busting his chops. I appreciate the research he has done.

We could all say the same about any football analysis you do. Are you a professional football coach? Are you a professional football player? If not you're just a ordinary person giving football analysis when you're an admitted layman. Your football analysis about anything means nothing.

Lay off unless you do equal research and form your own analysis.

Falco78

Reaction score
This thread has been very informative, thanks to all who added something of value!

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I remember in the discussions after the draft, the timeline put the nerve growth to reach the muscle in mid August if it grew at the expected rate. Well, we are here so am I remembering correctly? I seem to recall thinking that I would start to get worried if it got into September and the nerve was not firing or nothing was happening.

dcboy

Reaction score
that is exactly what i was thinking. i know that it is not that cut and dry and august is a date that could happen, not anything set in stone. while nerves can't be 'worked out' like muscles, i would expect that a high level athlete would heal and recover faster/better just because their body is healthier and stronger with faster metabolism.

Sydla

Reaction score
There were no reports that it was torn that I saw. The doctor that did the surgery said it was elongated, not stretched, and the exterior of the nerve was intact.

There were early reports that the nerve was torn. But as you said, later updates suggested that was not the case. Maybe the poster was just going off old info.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
at this point of the process, without having heard anything real positive as of late, I can't see anyway Smith plays this year.

dcboy

Reaction score
no, he is not playing this year. from his doctor's mouth:

Cooper agreed Smith probably will take a “redshirt” year in 2016, noting that once a nerve injury is discovered, it usually takes around nine to 15 months to fully recover. He also said he knows of high school and college football players who have played with a foot-drop, “and it’s even possible that Jaylon’s good enough to play in the NFL if he doesn’t get his nerve function back.

“Worst-case scenario, there are surgeries, there are tendon transfers you can do to hold the foot up,” Cooper said. “Best-case scenario is he gets all his strength back. And then in between would be that he gets a lot of it back or some of it back.”

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Really dude, Fuzzy is giving us an opinion/analysis based upon extensive research. He also states he's not a doctor and you're busting his chops. I appreciate the research he has done.

We could all say the same about any football analysis you do. Are you a professional football coach? Are you a professional football player? If not you're just a ordinary person giving football analysis when you're an admitted layman. Your football analysis about anything means nothing.

Lay off unless you do equal research and form your own analysis.

Extensive internet research? Yeah, I'll buy that
Much better than spending years in med school and internship.

People need to stop pretending they know a damn thing from being on the internet. You wanna offer a medical opinion? Got to med school and do an orthopaedic specialization. Otherwise shut up.