Cowboys second-round draft pick Jaylon Smith working out

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Lol nerves don't have anything to do with being an elite athelete. Plus like I said it's not a complete comparison because Mine was worst. Again I talked to drs about the injury in general and its at best a 50/50 chance the nerve will fire.

Yeah. You are right. No difference between a normal recovering from surgery and an elite athlete.

Physiogically the same. Except for everything

RS12

Reaction score
Cooper agreed Smith probably will take a “redshirt” year in 2016, noting that once a nerve injury is discovered, it usually takes around nine to 15 months to fully recover. He also said he knows of high school and college football players who have played with a foot-drop, “and it’s even possible that Jaylon’s good enough to play in the NFL if he doesn’t get his nerve function back.

Plan B doesnt sound particularly appealing. Kinda like first prize is an El Dorado, second prize a set of steak knives.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Yeah. You are right. No difference between a normal recovering from surgery and an elite athlete.

Not nerves. They have nothing to do with if you're a fat *** or elite athlete.

Little Jr

Reaction score
no, he is not playing this year. from his doctor's mouth:

Cooper agreed Smith probably will take a “redshirt” year in 2016, noting that once a nerve injury is discovered, it usually takes around nine to 15 months to fully recover. He also said he knows of high school and college football players who have played with a foot-drop, “and it’s even possible that Jaylon’s good enough to play in the NFL if he doesn’t get his nerve function back.

“Worst-case scenario, there are surgeries, there are tendon transfers you can do to hold the foot up,” Cooper said. “Best-case scenario is he gets all his strength back. And then in between would be that he gets a lot of it back or some of it back.”
Tendon transfer is an option. Its one of my options as of now.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Extensive internet research? Yeah, I'll buy that
Much better than spending years in med school and internship.

People need to stop pretending they know a damn thing from being on the internet. You wanna offer a medical opinion? Got to med school and do an orthopaedic specialization. Otherwise shut up.

You're coming out against people having partially educated opinions on a sports message forum? If anybody took you seriously, this place would cease to exist.

This forum is built on half-assed research and half baked opinions. If you're not willing to bake yours even half-way, that's fine. But then you don't really have the room to criticize anybody else. Either refute him, or just understand he was serious when he said he's not a doctor and is offering a medical opinion that's not properly informed, and be done with it.

Fuzzy makes no bones about being a smart dude. Some of us really appreciate that now and then. I'd hate to think he'd consider stopping a discussion just because the threshold for having an educated and thoughtful opinion was too high for the people he'd normally be debating with.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tendon transfer is an option. Its one of my options as of now.

Btw, your personal experience with this is really interesting. Sorry to hear your going through what sounds like a physical nightmare.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You're coming out against people having partially educated opinions on a sports message forum? If anybody took you seriously, this place would cease to exist.

This forum is built on half-assed research and half baked opinions. If you're not willing to bake yours even half-way, that's fine. But then you don't really have the room to criticize anybody else. Either refute him, or just understand he was serious when he said he's not a doctor and is offering a medical opinion that's not properly informed, and be done with it.

Fuzzy makes no bones about being a smart dude. Some of us really appreciate that now and then. I'd hate to think he'd consider stopping a discussion just because the threshold for having an educated and thoughtful opinion was too high for the people he'd normally be debating with.

Rest easy Idgit, there is zero chance of Fuzzy backing away :laugh:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Extensive internet research? Yeah, I'll buy that
Much better than spending years in med school and internship.

People need to stop pretending they know a damn thing from being on the internet. You wanna offer a medical opinion? Got to med school and do an orthopaedic specialization. Otherwise shut up.

I could take this as a legitimate criticism if it weren't for the fact that you are ignoring everyone else that has described the injury and recovery but me.

Something is either true or not. You don't at any point dispute a point of fact. Instead you claim that only a doctor is qualified to speak on the subject. I have had jobber, my GP, and a neurologist corroborate what I am saying. Further all of what I stated can be verified using simple search terms like "types of nerve injuries" into google and looking yourself.

What do you do? Make some asinine appeal to authority when you have none to begin with. Frankly these are not difficult concepts, like dead tissue leaving scarring or a nerve dieing from the injury to the extremity. Its not like I am talking biochemistry or surgical repair techniques. If you cannot fathom what's been presented on your own then it speaks to you and only you.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

And here you are making comments about the potential for recovery of athletes as opposed to the layman. Shouldn't you be taking your own medicine and leaving this to a physiologist, surgeon, or the like?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I could take this as a legitimate criticism if it weren't for the fact that you are ignoring everyone else that has described the injury and recovery but me.

Something is either true or not. You don't at any point dispute a point of fact. Instead you claim that only a doctor is qualified to speak on the subject. I have had jobber, my GP, and a neurologist corroborate what I am saying. Further all of what I stated can be verified using simple search terms like "types of nerve injuries" into google and looking yourself.

What do you do? Make some asinine appeal to authority when you have none to begin with. Frankly these are not difficult concepts, like dead tissue leaving scarring or a nerve dieing from the injury to the extremity. Its not like I am talking biochemistry or surgical repair techniques. If you cannot fathom what's been presented on your own then it speaks to you and only you.

You are absolutely correct that something is either true or not true.

However, you've fooled yourself into the belief that you are qualified to make that judgement.

I see this nonsense over and over. People with Ph.D.s from Google University think they are qualified to make medical evaluations. A sad byproduct of the information era.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
And here you are making comments about the potential for recovery of athletes as opposed to the layman. Shouldn't you be taking your own medicine and leaving this to a physiologist, surgeon, or the like?

How long does a normal person take to come back from an ACL? Forever.

How long does it take an athlete? Six months or so in most cases.

Clear, obvious differences observed over and over.

Sydla

Reaction score
Based on a story months ago from a ND site, a doctor they interviewed said that nerve regeneration isn't anything like a knee reconstruction or torn muscle, where a well conditioned athlete could see healing at a faster rate. Nerves are tricky and unpredictable in terms of time it takes, etc.

Common Sense

Reaction score

But how would you know that if you didn't go to med school? Did you read it somewhere?

Little Jr

Reaction score

NOT NERVES. Lol I don't see why you have a hard time understanding this.

btcutter

Reaction score

The difference is in the rehab. Athletes puts in 8 hrs a day of rehab where a normal Joe does rehab maybe 1-2 per week. Not to mention professional athletes have tons of professional support staff to help him.

Section446

Reaction score
Professional football player working out, stop the press! How's the nerve? That's all that matters.

CWR

Reaction score

Come on man hes only asking that we go to med school and become residents and so on before sharing our medical opinions or experiences. Im looking into it now. Ill be back in about 12 years to make my comment.

CWR

Reaction score
So if the nerve does not heel properly he can play with an orthopedic device on?

Would his issue than be not having enough feeling in that area to know when he has cut too hard or injured himself initially?