Cowboys select WR Danny Coale VaTech

FiveTime

Reaction score
SDogo;4537065 said:
Coale, a four-year starter, is served well by his thickness and balance when working out of the slot. He is savvy and can use his explosiveness in short areas to get open in zones. He thrives on making one player miss and getting upfield. He has the skillset to succeed at the next level and stands to be a fifth-round pick. He is a mature player who can step in right away, and will be attractive to teams looking for receiver depth.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Coale understands how to be a possession receiver and work across the field to gain separation when working against man or zone coverage. He is quick with his feet, both off the line of scrimmage and in his routes, and can gain a step to get open. He also understands how to throttle his routes down when working against zone coverage. He is heady enough to make an immediate impact in the NFL. While he will be productive underneath, he has the speed to stretch the field and the physicality and fearlessness to go across the middle.

WEAKNESSES Coale can struggle against bigger corners if he doesn't separate immediately off the line. He also is limited with the ball in his hands after the catch, and generally just tries to do what he can. He isn't a reliable blocker outside and struggles to sustain and stay in front of his man when working in the run game. He will be serviceable, but likely won't be very explosive at the next level.

I love that description for a slot receiver!

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
sportsillustrated.cnn

Biography: Four-year starter and 2011 recipient of the ACC Jim Tatum Award, symbolic of the conference's top student-athlete on the football field. Senior totals included 60 receptions/904 yards/3 TDs after he posted 39/732/3 as a junior. Also used to return punts at Virginia Tech.

Positives: Reliable, productive receiver with a terrific head for the game. Smart football player who comes back into the clearing to make himself an available target and consistently catches the ball with his hands. Fluid, displays terrific focus and frequently makes tough catches. Lays out or extends to grab the ball, makes over-the-shoulder catches downfield and uses his frame to shield away defenders. Plays with terrific balance and body control. Competes hard and always battles to come away with the ball. Solid route runner who stays low exiting breaks and positions himself to make the catch on exit. Displays a terrific sense of timing and wins out in battles.

Negatives: Not a true downfield threat despite his 40 time. Possesses solid size but is not a big-bodied receiver.

Analysis: Coale was a terrific college wide out and possesses enough skill to line up as a slot receiver in the NFL. One of the more underrated receivers in this draft, Cole should produce as a rookie then have a long NFL career as a third receiver on the depth chart.

Projection: 5th

RamziD

Reaction score
I feel more calm after this pick. Slot guy with speed..."thrives on making one guy miss and getting upfield"...I bet that's what they said about Wes Welker :)

VACowboy

Reaction score
I don't know how anyone who has actually seen Coale play can not love this pick.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
i like this pick, he looks like he has a lot of promise. not going to lie, i'm still a little confused about our previous pick but I'm behind it.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
VACowboy;4537137 said:
I don't know how anyone who has actually seen Coale play can not love this pick.

on this board people don't need to see people play. they just know. :banghead:

fifaguy

Reaction score
Remember that crazy catch in the SUGAR BOWL vs. Michigan?! That was him. True slot receiver. Really like this pick!

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-FhXQDefOE
[youtube]I-FhXQDefOE[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG7Gt6C9rFM
[youtube]LG7Gt6C9rFM[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0ljxAzbFUk
[youtube]h0ljxAzbFUk[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtbsXjg1Ifs
[youtube]LtbsXjg1Ifs[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohUhrmX2ywQ
ok here fake punt, which shows you danny coale has punted some
[youtube]ohUhrmX2ywQ[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcGxqXg8p8Y
Here you see coale understands zone coverages, finds area or how to be open
[youtube]JcGxqXg8p8Y[/youtube]

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
VACowboy;4537137 said:

TRUTH:starspin

TheGoat73

Reaction score
Watched every VT game last year. Clutch play guy. Seemed to come up big in tough situations. Can return punts, but not especially gifted at it. Nice YPC.

He was forced into punting and did a heck of a lot better than I expected. Beamer threatened to make him the REAL punter at one point though. A guy named Danny who punts....it was in the stars....

cdewsxzaq

Reaction score
I actually really like this pick. I think he can compete for fourth WR this year, possibly third WR. I think that his production could have been much better had VT actually had a good QB while he was there. Also, Ogletree will be cut in Training Camp.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
JeffInDC;4537085 said:
Goodbye Ogletree. I "TRUE" Slot WR. Tough as nails. A bigger, BETTER Amendola (since some on this board seem to miss what Amendola turned out to be). Living in the DMV area, I obviously get to see VT play quite a bit. Has ALWAYS been there most consistent WR during his time there.

I never got all the Amendola haters either.

Meh...

dirt

Reaction score
As a michigan fan i still have chills remembering his catch in overtime that was eventually ruled out of bonds
I thought that showed incredible body control, heart and desire

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
dgr81;4537177 said:
good pick. has a little jordy nelson in him.

Real nice comparison. Nelson may have a little more football speed

aikemirv

Reaction score
SDogo;4537152 said:
TRUTH:starspin

Romo will love this guy. I bet he is receiving substantial playing time by the end of the first year.