Cowboys select WR Danny Coale VaTech

cdewsxzaq

Reaction score
VACowboy;4537290 said:
Uhm, Coale played for VPI.

Dude, I completely read your post wrong... My brain read something like "I don't know how anybody that has seen Coale play can like this pick."

Funny how missing one word completely changes the meaning.

bear34

Reaction score
TheCount;4537335 said:
He doesn't look like a 4.3 guy to me eyeballs, that's for sure. If he ran it then he ran it, I don't really care aut his 40 time but he's getting caught from behind by linebackers and safeties in some of those clips. I havent seen enough of him to say much of anything really, but Wylie's ran a 4.3 and looked it to my eyes. Maybe he was tired from busting people up all game.

The most important thing is getting open, getting separation, and Coale has very good agility as his 3-cone shows. Also has very good hands.

jswalker1981

Fact > Your Opinion
Reaction score
SDogo;4537038 said:
Also Punted at VT which I thought was interesting.

Had the top 3 cone and 60 shuttle among WR's. Real possession receiver

I was watching the draft one ESPN at the bar and they had closed captioning on. Instead of punt, it came out "punch". Pretty funny trying to figure out why he could punch in a pinch.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
You might be the only one! Congrats!:lmao2:

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
bear34;4537352 said:
The most important thing is getting open, getting separation, and Coale has very good agility as his 3-cone shows. Also has very good hands.

I just hope we don't cut him. I don't expect him to blow the doors off right out of the gate, so we may need to take a leap of faith.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Dude can move.

Height: 6002
Weight: 201
40 Yrd Dash: 4.37
20 Yrd Dash: 2.59
10 Yrd Dash: 1.53
Vertical Jump: 37
Broad Jump: 10'03"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.09
3-Cone Drill: 6.64

He was moderately productive in college too. Excellent 5th round pick.

VACowboy

Reaction score
cdewsxzaq;4537348 said:
Dude, I completely read your post wrong... My brain read something like "I don't know how anybody that has seen Coale play can like this pick."

Funny how missing one word completely changes the meaning.

Yeah. I took no offense.

I may hate Tech, but if Beamer's boys can play, I wanna see them in Dallas.

(FOUR weeks ago...) :D

He was actually one of two players that never changed in my mocks.

Eskimo

Reaction score
I like the pick.

He has what you really want in a slot WR - good hands, quickness, toughness and intelligence. He has them all in spades.

The scouts get an A for this pick because I think Romo is going to love having a reliable slot guy again. I said two years ago it was a mistake to release Crayton and keep RW11 after drafting Dez and sure enough we were fine withour RW11 but have been missing the contributions from a steady slot guy the last 2 years. Miles tried but he is really better when lined up out wide. He drops a lot of balls when you put him too close to the QB.

VThokie7

Reaction score
Love this pick. Danny has been a great player for VT. Always finds a way to get open and make big catches.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Man, Drew Boylhart loves this guy. He actually gave him a 1st round grade, and he gave him that grade before his workout.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
VThokie7;4537477 said:
Love this pick. Danny has been a great player for VT. Always finds a way to get open and make big catches.
Glad to hear it. I thought I read he plays the slot too? Is that true?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4537520 said:
Man, Drew Boylhart loves this guy. He actually gave him a 1st round grade.
Raves about him:

STRENGTHS
Danny is one of the smartest receivers in this draft. He has excellent athletic talent and shows the toughness that a #1 wide receiver needs to be successful. He shows leadership skills through his play on the field and his work ethic. Danny has good speed and shows the ability to get deep and catch the ball in traffic. He will go over the middle to make the difficult catch, but his greatest strengths are his abilities to run routes and read defenses like a QB. He understands how to help his QB out when adversity is about to strike, which is what makes Danny a true potential #1 wide receiver for the team that drafts him. Danny's ability to get open when everyone in the whole stadium knows the ball is coming to him is unique and very Wes Welker-like. He just has the understanding and knack to know when to cut off a route or extend a route so that the pass to him will make a difference. He is quick to catch the ball and put it away for needed yardage after the catch. Danny has excellent football intelligence and a feel for the game that cannot be taught. He has the speed to get deep and those Velcro like hands to catch the ball at any point when it is in the air. I call him Danny (Lighthouse) Coale because he will guide your passing game all the way down the field until it hits the end zone.

CONCERNS
Danny just needs to be paired up with a quarterback who is as smart as he is and do a mind meld so they are both on the same page. He is not as fluid looking as some others in the draft and is not able to adjust to the ball in the air as well as other receivers in this draft. Of course if that's the reason team's don't draft Danny I think that's just poor reasoning.

BOTTOM LINE
Danny has been paired up with a very talented, but young quarterback and a group of very talented wide receivers. It's hard to focus in on anyone of them because they all very talented but, if you watch the game long enough you will see that every one of those receivers and that young quarterback look for Danny when things seem to go wrong on the field. Danny is always ready and never lets them down. Danny is one of those types of players that is not flashy. He blends in with his teammates and never upstages anyone on the field. He looks like an excellent teammate and his leadership skills are noticeable on film. Like I said before, he has the ability on just about any route to get open no matter what the situations calls for. He can play inside or outside and is tough to tackle. Danny is under the radar right now, but as soon as his pro days are held, Danny should be talked about. Wide receivers like Danny are usually selected in the 3rd or 4th rounds. Most of the time the reason for this is because they may not be as fluid as others. All I can tell you is that Danny will be better and I consider him a first round talent with the potential to be the receiver you can build your passing game around.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I'll be honest I was opposed to this pick when it was first made as I was a Wylie guy, but it's grown on me after doing a little research.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
TheCount;4537288 said:
lol, watching people scramble to find other white receivers to compare him to is pretty funny.

There is no way in hades Coale ran a legit 4.3 btw.

Tech's track has always been known as an unusually fast one... when I see 40 times for Tech prospects from their pro day, I add .05 seconds to their times...