Cowboys send 5 to Pro Bowl *Merge*

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
wow im surprised that Ratliff made it but its a pleasant surprise i expected him to be overlooked! Congrats Ratliff very well deserved! Well all 5 guys but i gotta admit im extra happy for Jay!

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Jay Ratliff -> The first of many Pro Bowls (considering the Pro Bowl is still around in a few years)

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
bbgun;2500418 said:
The competition at center must really suck this year.

That's the first thing that jumped out at me too. Gurode? Hmmm...

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
How great is it that we have Bigg locked up for awhile? I can remember the controversy over him coming here.

That Bigg dude has been money in the bank.

Ken

Reaction score
It is a minor travesty that Romo is not in the pro bowl.

To me, it is a disgrace.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Congrats to them all.

http://img75.*************/img75/1462/prozl5.jpg

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
How the hell does the Romo not make the probowl, he is the second highest rated passer in the entire freaking NFL!!!

WOW.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
James should have made it....Willis has alot of tackles five and ten yards behind the line of scrimmage....to me he is a good player on a bad defense and until that changes his numbers should be overwhelmingly good to be sent to Hawaii and this year that just ain't the case.

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
Fan voting for Pro Bowl ends up having a distinct Commanders slant

Associated Press

ASHBURN, Va. -- The Washington Commanders won the fan Pro Bowl voting in nine of 19 positions for the NFC, the result of an aggressive marketing campaign that paid dividends even for the lowest rated kicker in the league.
Tallies released by the league Thursday show the Commanders on top where serious Pro Bowl consideration is deserved (middle linebacker London Fletcher) and where it's not (kicker Shaun Suisham, who leads the NFL in missed field goals).
New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees received the most votes overall, followed by New York Jets quarterback Brett Favre and New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning. But two Commanders were in the top 10: running back Clinton Portis (fourth) and tight end Chris Cooley (10th).
Cooley didn't win his position, though, finishing behind Jason Witten of the Dallas Cowboys.
Other Commanders who finished first at their position include fullback Mike Sellers, tackle Chris Samuels, defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin, strong safety Chris Horton, free safety LaRon Landry and special teams player Khary Campbell.
Washington's "Vote the Commanders Ticket" campaign was so successful that the league sent an e-mail to the 31 other teams last month pointing out that Washington players were leading in 16 of 19 positions and that it would be a good time to "promote Pro Bowl voting to your fans."
The publicity over an impending Commanders landslide appeared to create enough of a backlash for seven players to lose their leads, but the final results are still dominated by a team that is 7-6 and has lost four of five. The Giants, who have the best record in the conference, won the voting in only four positions.
Fan balloting, which ended Tuesday, counts for one-third of the total Pro Bowl voting. Coaches and players, who have yet to be polled, each count for one-third.
The Pro Bowl teams are announced Dec. 16.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
Perfect example on why the Pro Bowl isn't held in high regard anymore!!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
In my opinion I would rather coaches and players choose the pro bowl team. I think it means more to be picked by your peers than it does by fans who stuff the ballot box.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2501437 said:
In my opinion I would rather coaches and players choose the pro bowl team. I think it means more to be picked by your peers than it does by fans who stuff the ballot box.

You would think so, but it doesn't. The coaches and players do vote on the pro-bowl and they don't always choose the most deserving players. I have read stories about how many of the guys don't take the voting seriously. They vote based on name recognition and not on current performance.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
joseephuss;2501495 said:
You would think so, but it doesn't. The coaches and players do vote on the pro-bowl and they don't always choose the most deserving players. I have read stories about how many of the guys don't take the voting seriously. They vote based on name recognition and not on current performance.

I agree it is not perfect but I still like players and coaches making the choice over fans because position like O-line many fans do not even know these players in the league at least your opponet knows you because he has faced off with you. Fans also get into stuffing the box which I'm sure you do not get from players and coaches.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
joseephuss;2501495 said:

I would weigh the votes of division players of other players in their division higher than say people from another conference. It makes sense to figure a Commander vote for an Eagle player (and visa versa) should count more than say someone from the Colts voting for a team they play once every four years.

Basically, I think there should be different weights to the votes, favoring teams and divisions that have played each other. I know there would have to be more to it than that, but just an idea.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
nyc;2500138 said:
In only 10 games in 2006, he was 15th in yards (2903) 5th in QB rating (95.1), 11th in TD (19), 1st in YPA (8.61), 2nd in completion % (65.3%), and 2nd in TD% (5.3%)

They didn't just give it to him that year.
Of course he earned it that year. I was saying he was snubbed this year--that missing 3 games shouldn't have hurt him. There are many examples of QB's who missed 3-5 games and went to Pro Bowls.

Numbers aren't the issue. His numbers are Pro Bowl worthy for every season he's played.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
joseephuss;2500182 said:
Brees has played 6 games where his QB rating was less than 70, which is less than mediocre.
I'd be willing to bet that 6 sub-70 games are a first for a Pro Bowler. Brees' other accomplishments include 5 games when he threw more picks than TD's, and a 1-6 road record.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but those all have to be new lows for Pro Bowl QB's, even alternates.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
percyhoward;2501650 said:
I'd be willing to bet that 6 sub-70 games are a first for a Pro Bowler. Brees' other accomplishments include 5 games when he threw more picks than TD's, and a 1-6 road record.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but those all have to be new lows for Pro Bowl QB's, even alternates.

I don't get the Brees hype this year, either. Put any good quarterback on that team this year, have him throw a ridiculous amount of times every game, and he'll probably put up numbers as good or better.

Not to mention that an extremely high percentage of Brees' passes are screens thrown behind the line of scrimmage.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
TheCount;2500299 said:
IF that's your argument D'Qwell Jackson of the infamous Cleveland Browns has 136 tackles, 2 sacks and 3 ints and he isn't going to the Pro Bowl in the AFC. Is Jackson better than both Bradie and Beason then?

The voters obviously let the records of the Cowboys vs Panthers influence them.

In the AFC, Ray Lewis is the starter and he has 104 tackles, 1 forced fumble and 3 ints... but clearly the Ravens have a better team than the Browns and Ray Lewis has a rep, so he gets the nod.

I believe the problem here is that you are under the conception that this is an arguement. There is no arguement. The selections have been made. Bradie James did not get in.

I can't speak for why Jackson didn't get in. He probably should have but I guess he didn't. I stand by my original statement. So long as Beason and Willis are in the NFC, it's going to be hard for James to ever make the Pro Bowl.