Cowboys Should Consider Trading for Rosen

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMO415

Reaction score
Rosen didn't just have a rough time because he was a rookie on a bad team. He LITERALLY had the lowest passer rating of any QB with significant snaps. #33 of 33.

His scouting report is really ugly in terms of just not having the mental make-up for an NFL QB. It can't just be taken as a given that he'll be an upgrade over Dak.

Weaknesses:
  • Durability
  • Has had at least one concussion
  • Has had shoulder, hand injuries
  • Poor intangibles
  • Questionable leadership traits
  • Quality of teammate
  • Different personality; could clash with teammates and coaches
  • Could have problems with the media
Dak is a superior athlete to Rosen. Not sure Rosen is more accurate than Dak......

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree, plus I don't think there is any evidence Rosen would be an upgrade over Dak anyway. Even looking at him as a prospect, his college passing stats and QB rating weren't as good as Dak's, he doesn't have any better arm strength, and he isn't remotely as mobile.

He is much more accurate and efficient in his drops, set ups and footwork. He throws into windows better and he has much better touch. Each has their advantages, they are almost exact opposites of one another.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is kinda off the subject but without wasting everyone's time, I will try and be brief in my thoughts here.

I think Kliff Kingsbury looks at Rosen and sees a QB who doesn't fit his system. I think that since he was not the HC who drafted him, he has no allegiance to him and is probably more interested in getting the QB who can make his system work. Since that person would probably be a rookie and Rosen is only a 2nd year QB, what you would be looking at is a young QB on his roster who probably never gets developed and never really helps the team. This has nothing to do with talent, it has to do with the time it takes to develop a Rookie QB. It's just too hard to try and develop two at the same time. I think Rosen is a dead end for Kingsbury and vice versa. Kingsbury is really probably doing Rosen a favor by trading him. When Az brought in Kingsbury, management basically wasted that 1st round pick and it had nothing to do with any decision Kingsbury made. Rosen doesn't fit that type of Offense. It's not a lack of talent thing IMO. Az new that going in so it is what it is.

Kyler Murray's style of play isn't really any more of a fit for Kingsbury's system than Rosen's. As a college coach Kingsbury has a history of success coaching smallish pocket passers (Keenum), dual threat QBs (Manziel), and big strong armed pocket passers (Mahomes). He really isn't married to one style, and obviously he can fit any style into his plans. As a player, Rosen is much more like Kingsbury was than Murray, Manziel or Mahomes. Accordingly it seems that if Kingsbury trades Rosen and drafts Murray it actually will be about talent.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Arizona is in a full blown YOLO movement with their team.

They just hired a coach that runs a wide open spread college offense to be their head coach after failing in the big 12.

After having just fired Steve Wilks, the first year HC who was the DC from Cleveland before coming to Az.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think we'll get to see how good Rosen is when he replaces Eli.

Actually, I don't think we will. To me, the Giants are not a great fit for him. They have nobody to throw to in that Offense and they have a weak OL. I think Rosen would get killed in NY.

kskboys

Reaction score
Actually, I don't think we will. To me, the Giants are not a great fit for him. They have nobody to throw to in that Offense and they have a weak OL. I think Rosen would get killed in NY.
They do have an extra first now.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Kyler Murray's style of play isn't really any more of a fit for Kingsbury's system than Rosen's. As a college coach Kingsbury has a history of success coaching smallish pocket passers (Keenum), dual threat QBs (Manziel), and big strong armed pocket passers (Mahomes). He really isn't married to one style, and obviously he can fit any style into his plans. As a player, Rosen is much more like Kingsbury was than Murray, Manziel or Mahomes. Accordingly it seems that if Kingsbury trades Rosen and drafts Murray it actually will be about talent.

I don't agree, In no offensive scheme that I have ever watched Kingsbury coach, have I seen a pro-style pocket passer.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Hmm.

No.

I think Prescott is the better QB both now and in the future.
Rosen if he was a good QB the cardinals wouldnt be trying trading him. What was a problem for him in college still is there now. He isnt a leader and not very coachable. He refuses to take what a defense gives him and tries too hard to make every play even when its not there.

These arent coachable things, the player has to be willing to do it. And hes proven he's not willing to be that guy. He's the next joey harrington

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't agree, In no offensive scheme that I have ever watched Kingsbury coach, have I seen a pro-style pocket passer.

Keenum and Mahomes weren't "pro-style" only in the sense that the offense wasn't exactly "pro-style", but that was more about schemes than individual style of play. Both Keenum and Mahomes were pocket passers.

csirl

Reaction score
I'd trade for Rosen - I'd even give up a #2 for him. We know what we have with Dak - and it isnt good enough. Rosen isnt without his risks, but there's a lot more upside with him than with Dak. He's also still on a rookie deal.

Plumfool

Reaction score
From Aikman to Romo the Cowboys have had better throwers of the football than Dak. And Rosen might be a better thrower as well but he’s not a better QB than Dak. Rosen can’t even handle the Dallas media. He doesn’t have the mental fortitude.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Keenum and Mahomes weren't "pro-style" only in the sense that the offense wasn't exactly "pro-style", but that was more about schemes than individual style of play. Both Keenum and Mahomes were pocket passers.
I'm not sure how you get to pocket passer with Mahomes. He can do it, but there was a whole lot of off the cuff movement and making things happen. Rosen fits a JG offense like a glove.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No. If Rosen was ROY, that would mean that Az had a lot fewer injuries, a lot better record and Kingbury would have never been hired because Wilks would have never been fired. So there never would have been a chance in the Offense and it's likely that Rosen is still in the future plans for Az. None of that happened so as a result, Rosen is no longer a fit.
No it doesn't mean they would have a lot better record. Cardinals had more problems than just the quarterback position. If he had a season like Baker Mayfield did his team still would've sucked but he would've been in the running for ROY. They aren't trading him if he has that type of year lat year.

And Rosen fits EXACTLY what Kingsbury should want. He's big, mobile and accurate. There is more there than he just wants Murray.

jnday

Reaction score
I'm going to be called blind/crazy/etc but watch Dak Prescott make us think we got a deal if we sign him $25-$30 million a season.

After his rookie season we all were in the opinion that this organization found lightening in a bottle. Injury and disaster aside we are going to be very happy having Dak Prescott after this season.
With Dak making about 30 million a year and being the 18 th rated QB on NFL.com, I will never be happy. Rosen or any other QB that has the ability to make all the throws would st least give me hope of having a traditional accurate passer in the mold of the Cowboy greats from the past.

jnday

Reaction score
Rosen can be a very good NFL QB provided he has the right team and coaching. It wouldn't be surprising 5 years in the future to find he is better than Dak.
It would not surprise me, I expect Rosen to have a much better career if he gets some talent around him.

Status
Not open for further replies.