Cowboys should start Cooper Rush in week 17

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
I can see logical reason for starting Rush now that the season is over. But to do so because it is time to move on from Dak, in hopes that the Rush era can start, is not one of them. We got a like button, and I'm not suggesting a dislike button, but sometimes a :facepalm: button would be useful ;) where people could add to the facepalm value.

if you would have read the post you would have seen where it says “see if he can be the backup next year”

by no means do I want cooper rush or dak Prescott to be the starting QB of the cowboys next year

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
You would have to be BOTH a Dak hater and an absolute moron to go through with the OP's plan. Even if you think that Dak can't play in the NFL; you HAVE to understand that he is still a valuable asset in trade and that some team will compensate you for him. Ideally, even if both conditions are true (hater and moron); you want to SHOWCASE Dak in order to enhance the possibility of getting up to TWO first round picks for him.

Personally, I like Dak and I think that he has progressed a lot since he came into the League. I wouldn't be upset at all if we resigned him. But having said that, if I could get TWO 1st round picks for him, I would take it. That is true for any player on the team.

lol if you think a team gives up 2 1st round picks for dak Prescott, plus give him a pay raise. Fantasy land????

morat1959

Reaction score
Yeah me too. Romo is heralded for 2 wild card wins, Dak keeps getting better, threw for over 4500 yds this season, has won a wild card game (matching 50% of Romo's post season "glory"), and has done it with the two biggest dumb ***** in Pokes history as HC and Off coordinator.
if you would have read the post you would have seen where it says “see if he can be the backup next year”

by no means do I want cooper rush or dak Prescott to be the starting QB of the cowboys next year
He picked out the part that helped him defend Dak. We’ll hear about this 4500 yard season forever.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Lmao. The entire defense and special teams are much bigger issues. Coaching. GM/owner. Also, Dak is operating from the 2007 Tony Romo offensive playbook Garrett installed. It literally has not changed one bit. How about creating an offense that caters to your QB? Nope. Not our franchise.

I can absolutely see why you might say this but I don't know. I am not a Dak hater but it's time for us to finally figure out what we have with him. We gotta know where we stand. The time is now to move forward or move past him. More to the point, we need to know what the hell the actual injury is and how serious it might be.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
They should start Cooper Rush. The slappys would rather have Dak lose another game though.

TBH, I think that one of the biggest reasons the pro Dak crowd goes ballistic at what is being suggested here is because they fear what could happen.

TO BE CLEAR--I'm not part of the pro Dak crowd. I don't think he's the right guy to carry the banner for this franchise at the QB position for the next 7-10 years. TO BE CLEAR--I also don't want any part of Cooper Rush being the Cowboys quarterback of the future. Rush isn't that guy. I think we probably all agree on that.

However--I do think the drop off from Dak to Rush is not nearly as dramatic as the pro Dak crown is trying to convince us it is. And I think deep down, many of them know this and are terrified of having Rush on the field as a result.

Honest question--how many on this forum think we could have scored 9 points last week with Rush on the field? I do.
How many think we could have scored at least 10 points vs NO with Rush on the field? I do.

End of the day, I'd like to see someone else beside either of these guys under center for the opener next season. But I wouldn't mind seeing Rush on the field for a game or two. I have a hunch that the offense might not look that much worse than it has in recent weeks.
Candidly, I'm not sure it could look much worse no matter who's under center. We could get what we've been getting the last 8 weeks for a helluva lot less than $40 million a year.

kskboys

Reaction score
TBH, I think that one of the biggest reasons the pro Dak crowd goes ballistic at what is being suggested here is because they fear what could happen.

TO BE CLEAR--I'm not part of the pro Dak crowd. I don't think he's the right guy to carry the banner for this franchise at the QB position for the next 7-10 years. TO BE CLEAR--I also don't want any part of Cooper Rush being the Cowboys quarterback of the future. Rush isn't that guy. I think we probably all agree on that.

However--I do think the drop off from Dak to Rush is not nearly as dramatic as the pro Dak crown is trying to convince us it is. And I think deep down, many of them know this and are terrified of having Rush on the field as a result.

Honest question--how many on this forum think we could have scored 9 points last week with Rush on the field? I do.
How many think we could have scored at least 10 points vs NO with Rush on the field? I do.

End of the day, I'd like to see someone else beside either of these guys under center for the opener next season. But I wouldn't mind seeing Rush on the field for a game or two. I have a hunch that the offense might not look that much worse than it has in recent weeks.
Candidly, I'm not sure it could look much worse no matter who's under center. We could get what we've been getting the last 8 weeks for a helluva lot less than $40 million a year.
Yeah, it would seriously behoove us to play Rush just to see if he can move the ball as a backup.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score

We certainly could

romonumberone

Reaction score
If the Cowboys went with Rush who is at 100% and practicing all week vs. Dak at 50% and not throwing all week the Cowboys would probably have a better chance of winning. Either way I think they destroy the Commanders this week. But if they went with Cooper and they win than at least it helps in lowering the price tag on Dak. If Cooper plays and throws 4 TD's and the Cowboys blow out the Commanders than why pay Dak $40,000,000 a year. Instead spend that money on some run stuffing DT's & some DB's who can catch a football.

The Cowboys can still re-sign Dak. But it would give them a lot more leverage in the contract negotiations..... maybe they only have to pay him $35,000,000 a year instead.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Yeah, it would seriously behoove us to play Rush just to see if he can move the ball as a backup.

Obviously sarcasm and that's fine.

You don't think it would be enlightening if the drop off wasn't dramatic?

Proof

Reaction score
Time to move on from Dak. Jerry needs to jump out ahead of all the off season drama of the “to pay Dak or not Pay Dak BS.”

Move on. Let’s make it about football around here and not who gives good interviews. We will not get a good coach to come here if the worse player on our offense is the highest paid player on the team. The new coach is going to want to draft his guy or bring the free agent of his choice at about $9-10 million.

So why not go ahead and end the Dak offseason Saga and let Cooper Rush get a chance. Hell, might even find out he is capable enough to make the easy throws Dak gets praised for. Might find out if he is good enough to keep around to be the backup next year.

get a brain moran

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Time to move on from Dak. Jerry needs to jump out ahead of all the off season drama of the “to pay Dak or not Pay Dak BS.”

Move on. Let’s make it about football around here and not who gives good interviews. We will not get a good coach to come here if the worse player on our offense is the highest paid player on the team. The new coach is going to want to draft his guy or bring the free agent of his choice at about $9-10 million.

So why not go ahead and end the Dak offseason Saga and let Cooper Rush get a chance. Hell, might even find out he is capable enough to make the easy throws Dak gets praised for. Might find out if he is good enough to keep around to be the backup next year.
is this guy serious?

Proof

Reaction score
Oh man, this is priceless, unless you know you are misspelling moron.
No, I bet you don't.

morans.jpg

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
If the Cowboys went with Rush who is at 100% and practicing all week vs. Dak at 50% and not throwing all week the Cowboys would probably have a better chance of winning. Either way I think they destroy the Commanders this week. But if they went with Cooper and they win than at least it helps in lowering the price tag on Dak. If Cooper plays and throws 4 TD's and the Cowboys blow out the Commanders than why pay Dak $40,000,000 a year. Instead spend that money on some run stuffing DT's & some DB's who can catch a football.

The Cowboys can still re-sign Dak. But it would give them a lot more leverage in the contract negotiations..... maybe they only have to pay him $35,000,000 a year instead.

if dak gets any kind of pay raise from the cowboys, their team will slowly fall apart. Just like this website and anything or anybody else that makes money off the cowboys. How in the world can anybody expect Dak Prescott getting a pay raise equals the team getting better?