Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign K Greg Zeurlein

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I actually hope Zeurlien is better than Forbath this next year because I am pretty sure with the contract he signed and our new Special Teams coach he will be our kicker, but over the course of their careers Forbath has been the more consistent kicker at putting the ball between the uprights, which is the most important thing a kicker does.

If Forbath is clearly better, I just can't buy into Dallas keeping Zeurlein over him. (If it's pretty much even, then yes.)

While some are looking at his guaranteed money, they need to understand that it's only $2.5 million of $7.5 million . That means it's still a savings of $5 million overall to cut him. The $2.5 million is just what it took to get a kicker of his caliber to come here and allow the team to see if he meets its expectations. It's really sunken cost if we had to cut him since we wouldn't have to turn around and spend another $2.5 million to bring in another kicker because we already have Forbath.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Only on a Cowboys forum would fans actually be acting upset that the Cowboys signed Zeurlien. And somehow try to prove that Forbath can hold a candle to Zeurlien.
I gave you actual facts why Forbath has been better than Zuerlien at kicking FG’s and you come up with this nonsense.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I actually hope Zeurlien is better than Forbath this next year because I am pretty sure with the contract he signed and our new Special Teams coach he will be our kicker, but over the course of their careers Forbath has been the more consistent kicker at putting the ball between the uprights, which is the most important thing a kicker does.

Are you joking? Forbath has played in 7 games total over the last 3 years. Half his years he has played its only been a handful of games.

Zeuerline as been tearing up the NFL the last few years and is both accurate and accurate from long range. He has made clutch kicks in the playoffs from deep, and unbelievable point totals for a kicker.

Zuerline IS arguably the best kicker over the last 3 years.

Unless he is somehow now on the downside of his career or he has an injury he will never fully recover from, this is a boon for the Cowboys.

But its not like we havent seen kickers fall off the shelf after a few good years. So for me, having a kicker competition is the best of both worlds. Even though we all know who is going to win.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If Forbath is clearly better, I just can't buy into Dallas keeping Zeurlein over him. (If it's pretty much even, then yes.)

While some are looking at his guaranteed money, they need to understand that it's only $2.5 million of $7.5 million . That means it's still a savings of $5 million overall to cut him. The $2.5 million is just what it took to get a kicker of his caliber to come here and allow the team to see if he meets its expectations. It's really sunken cost if we had to cut him since we wouldn't have to turn around and spend another $2.5 million to bring in another kicker because we already have Forbath.

Where have you been the last 3 years? Zuerline is the much better kicker.

Forbath has kicked in 7 total games the last 3 years while Zuerline has been tearing up the NFL as a kicker.

Forbath is basically a retired guy that has come in when someone was desperate for a kicker and done well.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What is your point?

You are the classic case of a guy using a singular stat to try and take the opposite argument just for the heck of it. And using that stat out of context to try and grasp some kind of angle.

Forbath is a part time scrub at the end of his career.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Where have you been the last 3 years? Zuerline is the much better kicker.

Forbath has kicked in 7 total games the last 3 years while Zuerline has been tearing up the NFL as a kicker.

Forbath is basically a retired guy that has come in when someone was desperate for a kicker and done well.

Forbath was 11 for 11 last year. Zeurlein made 73 percent (24-33). I don't think you can just totally discount that.

I expect Zeurlein to return to form and win the job and I think the Cowboys do, too, which is why they paid what it takes to bring him in. However, players fall off the cliff all the time and there is that possibility to consider. Zeurlein has attempted 245 FGs and 270 extra points and kicked off 594 times in his career. The wear and tear of it, especially for a big-legged kicker, may be getting to him.

Of course, I think it's just a case of him not being fully healthy last year, but we'll see. Both players have had bouts of inconsistency, but Zeurlein had three good years in a row before his bad year while Forbath has never put together back-to-back good years. Zeurlein should be expected to win, but I don't think it should be considered an absolute.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
Because Zeurlein has three times as many attempts. There is a big difference between a kicker that will get 2 chances a season (like Forbath) to kick a 51 yarder and a guy like Zeurlein that gets a 55 yard attempt every other game.

I don't follow your logic. It seems you're presuming that the rate of failure inevitably goes up with more opportunities, which is perplexing to say the least. :huh:

If Apple sets an acceptable failure rate of three defective iPhones out of 100, it doesn't matter if the factory produced 100 phones in a given day or 1,000. If they remain within tolerance, their defect rate would not exceed 3%. It's not like anybody would reasonably expect or accept that margin to rise simply because they manufactured more phones on Thursday than they did on Wednesday.

Zeurlein and Forbath both have a large enough body of work to provide us with a sufficient sample size to assess their accuracy. It's not like Forbath is a second year player and we're asserting he's more consistently accurate on the basis of a 25 kick rookie season. Both players have kicked well over a 100 times in 80+ games. It's a reasonable sample size to draw a conclusion from.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He's probably the first kicker off the board because you're drafting him too high :lmao:

IF you can get a kicker like Zuerline that averages 11 points a week, that is a huge advantage. And if you draft well you can easily overcome a 10th round pick on a guy like that.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
Both players have had bouts of inconsistency, but Zeurlein had three good years in a row before his bad year while Forbath has never put together back-to-back good years. Zeurlein should be expected to win, but I don't think it should be considered an absolute.

:huh:

The only year in Forbath's entire career where he failed to convert at least 80% of his attempts was 2015. The year before that he made 89% of his FGs in a full season with the Commanders, and the year after his one down year he went 15 for 15 for a 100% conversion rate with the Vikings.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
IF you can get a kicker like Zuerline that averages 11 points a week, that is a huge advantage. And if you draft well you can easily overcome a 10th round pick on a guy like that.

I kid...I kid. I would have guessed Justin Tucker would be the first kicker off the board in most leagues, but I realize different leagues structure their scoring systems differently.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I don't follow your logic. It seems you're presuming that the rate of failure inevitably goes up with more opportunities, which is perplexing to say the least. :huh:

How is it perplexing? Do NFL coaches send kickers out for 70 yard attempts?

No, they don't. Because they know none of them can do it. Do they send Forbath (or Nick Folk) out for long distance kicks like they would for Zeurlein? No, because he can't do it.

Do you send Beasley on as many deep routes as Amari Cooper? No, because he can't do it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I kid...I kid. I would have guessed Justin Tucker would be the first kicker off the board in most leagues, but I realize different leagues structure their scoring systems differently.

No, you are not wrong. Those two guys are the best. I wanted Zuerline last year, but someone snagged him ahead of me so I took Tucker. And he actually had the better year.

And of course it all depends on how the draft is unfolding.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Forbath was 11 for 11 last year. Zeurlein made 73 percent (24-33). I don't think you can just totally discount that.

I expect Zeurlein to return to form and win the job and I think the Cowboys do, too, which is why they paid what it takes to bring him in. However, players fall off the cliff all the time and there is that possibility to consider. Zeurlein has attempted 245 FGs and 270 extra points and kicked off 594 times in his career. The wear and tear of it, especially for a big-legged kicker, may be getting to him.

Of course, I think it's just a case of him not being fully healthy last year, but we'll see. Both players have had bouts of inconsistency, but Zeurlein had three good years in a row before his bad year while Forbath has never put together back-to-back good years. Zeurlein should be expected to win, but I don't think it should be considered an absolute.

Forbath played in 3 games last year. Played in 4 games the previous two years combined. You still taking Forbath?

Proof

Reaction score

Not drafting a kicker is the first thing you learn in fantasy. Rule number 1

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not drafting a kicker is the first thing you learn in fantasy. Rule number 1

You have to draft a kicker so whoever wrote that rule doesn't even understand the draft rules of fantasy. I have won leagues with both taking the first kicker and picking one up in FA along the way.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
How is it perplexing? Do NFL coaches send kickers out for 70 yard attempts?

No, they don't. Because they know none of them can do it. Do they send Forbath (or Nick Folk) out for long distance kicks like they would for Zeurlein? No, because he can't do it.

Do you send Beasley on as many deep routes as Amari Cooper? No, because he can't do it.

It's perplexing because that's not how the law of averages work. It would be one thing if you were saying it's reasonable for Zuerlein to have more raw misses on the basis of more attempts. You'd get no disagreement from me there, but more opportunities shouldn't result in a percentage variance.

13% of Forbath's career attempts have been beyond 50 yards, so obviously not all of his coaches have felt that he can't do it.

Kaiser

Reaction score
It's perplexing because that's not how the law of averages work. It would be one thing if you were saying it's reasonable for Zuerlein to have more raw misses on the basis of more attempts. You'd get no disagreement from me there, but more opportunities shouldn't result in a percentage variance.

It does because the coach will consistently send Zeurlein out in bad weather, grass fields, longer attempts, etc.

If you only give Forbath attempts from 52 yards in, on turf, in perfect weather, you have a much different data set.

Proof

Reaction score
You have to draft a kicker so whoever wrote that rule doesn't even understand the draft rules of fantasy. I have won leagues with both taking the first kicker and picking one up in FA along the way.

lol no you don’t. You can (and should ) draft sleepers and long shots with your final spots and just grab someone off the wire before the season starts

Kickers are the most negligible position in fantasy.