Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign Nolan Carroll

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
That things garbage jalen mills had a nice rookie year.

I like pff's line stats and will pay attention to their ratings.

I ignore their DB stats and ratings. Their method for selecting which DB was targeted is oversimplified and they cannot see the entire field on too many plays to be comprehensive.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Teams take players all the time who didn't play great for one team because they think he's a good fit for their scheme. If we've been high on Nolan Carroll, it's probably because we think he's a good match for our scheme, just as we've had players in the past who were not good fits, but who played better after leaving.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Teams take players all the time who didn't play great for one team because they think he's a good fit for their scheme. If we've been high on Nolan Carroll, it's probably because we think he's a good match for our scheme, just as we've had players in the past who were not good fits, but who played better after leaving.

I really like what our DB coaches were able to accomplish last year. The safeties all had their best years as pros, Claiborne had his best year and Brown is already one of the better 6th round picks we have had in the last 20 years.

Wolf2k5

Reaction score
tenor.gif

DandyDon52

Reaction score
marinelli must have wanted him, it isnt like jerry is gonna pick new def FA's.
so blame marinelli, or wait and see how he does with big M.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
They would have done their homework on the guy including finding out what the WRs think. Having said that I still don't know much more other than they wanted him enough to sign him.....FWIW.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
marinelli must have wanted him, it isnt like jerry is gonna pick new def FA's.
so blame marinelli, or wait and see how he does with big M.

Marinelli probably put in an order for Bouye and Jerry said, "I did you one better. I got you Carroll."

They never give Rod nice toys to play with.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Not really. We paid Thornton more. Then you compare his deal which is half or less than the actual starting CBs signed.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/cornerback/

Munnerlyn who is a nickel makes 40% more. Top guys are making 3 times or more. Amukamara twice as much.

Scandrick Brown Draft Carroll add another FA like Carr/Claiborne and were gtg. We can also go long at the position because Carroll is good at special teams. You're looking at a small average salary at the position even if the UFA gets $6m. Scandrick doesn't make much more than that.

This is just the high end of the short FA deal that Steve-o likes to sign depth free agents to every year.

Thornton was supposed to be a starter. He just sucked and rode the pine and became a rotational player. The details aren't fully out yet, but this looks like a 1 year 4 million type of deal, because he'll never see the end of the contract. I don't really mind the signing, but I think they expect more than for him to be a gunner.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Meh, not huge on it but I am going to try to put trust in the FO. Maybe he is a good fit. I know everybody wants/loves those splash signings but the truth is those can fail as well, and, they are more costly.
i.e. Nnamdi Asomugha to the Eagles

Questfor6

Reaction score
Then why are there so many 2014 references to Carroll getting burned by Dez?
Too lazy to look it up I guess, Carroll has given Dez fits in years past from what I can remember. I don't mind the signing because I'm sure they'll be a CB or 2 drafted come April.