Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign Nolan Carroll

gmoney112

Reaction score
Meh, not huge on it but I am going to try to put trust in the FO. Maybe he is a good fit. I know everybody wants/loves those splash signings but the truth is those can fail as well, and, they are more costly.
i.e. Nnamdi Asomugha to the Eagles

I like what the Patriots do, be relatively thrifty, then every so often just go splurge on the top CB in FA. A proven asset.

They hit on McCourty, paid him. Signed Revis previously, just got Gilmore for 5 years.

The Patriots love DB's. "everyone" says you can hit on DB's late, and you can, but they're always using resources on them. They just signed Gilmore while still having Butler under contract.

I was bored so I looked at their secondary and their picks

Chung = 34
McCourty = 27
Harmon = 91
Richards = 64
Jones = 60

From other teams
Rowe = 47

That's a 1st, 3 seconds, and a third.

With Malcom, they have 26 million in contracts this year with Gilmore too.

I am in full support of double dipping in the draft this year now. I might go 2 DB's in the top 3 rounds.

Verdict

Reaction score
I'm guessing it will be Claiborne.

Claiborne
Brown
Scandrick
Carroll

Add a draft pick in the first 4 rounds to that and there's your depth chart.

Mo is an above average corner of he stays healthy. He could eventually be elite if we can get a pass rush.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Maybe we should just carry about 25 players on the roster so we don't touch those precious comp picks

Dak was a 4th round comp pick bro.............but maybe we should have just canceled it out by signing a trash FA.:thumbup:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Thornton was supposed to be a starter. He just sucked and rode the pine and became a rotational player. The details aren't out, but this looks like a 1 year 4 million type of deal, because he'll never see the end of the contract. I don't really mind the signing, but I think they expect more than for him to be a gunner.

He lost the competition to McClain. That is not the same thing as sucked.

McClain is not a dissimilar player to Thornton who also came over from a 3-4 and had to adjust. He started off in CAR before spending 2 years at 3-4s in NE and HOU.

He really didn't start using his hands to disengage until this past year nor have the footwork to redirect. Before that he played paddy-cake and ran in straight lines when he got penetration. Once he started to use his technique this past year he was able to use his strength and athleticism.

Thornton already played better in the 3-4 than McClain and he was better in his first season in the 4-3 than McClain was a few years ago.

I know a lot of people are down on Marinelli but the man's defensive linemen learn how to play with their hands and feet. Thornton was getting the hang of it. The coaches now have a full year of film to train him with this season. I'm guessing he will continue to play better.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
I like what the Patriots do, be relatively thrifty, then every so often just go splurge on the top CB in FA. A proven asset.

They hit on McCourty, paid him. Signed Revis previously, just got Gilmore for 5 years.

The Patriots love DB's. "everyone" says you can hit on DB's late, and you can, but they're always using resources on them. They just signed Gilmore while still having Butler under contract.

Chung = 34
McCourty = 27
Harmon = 91
Richards = 64
Jones = 60

From other teams
Rowe = 47

I am in full support of double dipping in the draft this year now. I might go 2 DB's in the top 3 rounds.
Not a bad idea to copy the Patriots model. They've definitely invested a lot into their secondary.

But they get guys who fit. They don't pay a premium for man corners and then stick them in a cover 2 scheme.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
$4 million this year to be a gunner:huh:

It's $3.3m AAV and waving your hands at signing bonus is irrational bias.

I realized I spelled starting wrong, but his starting experience is just as important as his ability to play teams.

I am not going to tell you he was an above average starter, but we are not paying him to be a starter.

Is $3.3m unreasonable for CB4? Do you expect him to start at the nickel? I don't see what the issue is.

gmoney112

Reaction score

I realized I spelled starting wrong, but his starting experience is just as important as his ability to play teams.

I am not going to tell you he was an above average starter, but we are not paying him to be a starter.

Is $3.3m unreasonable for CB4? Do you expect him to start at the nickel? I don't see what the issue is.

You know this is that time of year where the natives get restless.

Carroll is a bandaid going into the draft. That's all.

This is a rebuild year anyway for our defense since we just found our franchise QB. Overpaying anyone but a young blue chip talent that will be around 5 years from now would be stupid.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Not a bad idea to copy the Patriots model. They've definitely invested a lot into their secondary.

But they get guys who fit. They don't pay a premium for man corners and then stick them in a cover 2 scheme.

Well to be fair, that was when Rob "lardass" Ryan was still here. That was a debacle that set this franchise back years.

We'll probably see a movement in this draft considering how deep it is. Hopefully.

blumayne38

Reaction score
After what dez did to this man last year, I expect things in camp to get pretty heated

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Chung = 34
McCourty = 27
Harmon = 91
Richards = 64
Jones = 60

From other teams
Rowe = 47

The Pats value corners.

Just another reason why they've dominated the NFL.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

No, I don't see him as a starter either.

I do question what changed for him last season, because he was solid in '14 & '15. Did the new defensive "braintrust" in Philly change their style of pass defense? Did he play a different spot than in '14 & '15?

One thing I have noticed is that corners for some reason seem to vary in their performance from year to year more so than other positions.

Gaede

Reaction score
This is good depth.

I expect a starting CB in the first. The draft is deep.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You mean to tell me we couldn't get Carr or Claiborne for that contract? I'd rather have either than Carroll. He sucks.

I think this was the Claiborne contract at least. He didn't take it, but this guy did.

It's not a good signing by any stretch, and they didn't pay that money for a "4th or 5th corner". Right now, you're looking at this guy as one of your starters outside (spare me any "yeah, but Scandrick B.S., he is what he is, and maybe not even that anymore).

I don't know what the team continues to see in him, doesn't show up on the field.

conner01

Reaction score
Dak was a 4th round comp pick bro.............but maybe we should have just canceled it out by signing a trash FA.:thumbup:
If you let players walk you have to replace them. How many draft picks do you think we have or is your plan to fill every spot with UDFA
Those are the only options, Bro

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think this was the Claiborne contract at least. He didn't take it, but this guy did.

It's not a good signing by any stretch, and they didn't pay that money for a "4th or 5th corner". Right now, you're looking at this guy as one of your starters outside (spare me any "yeah, but Scandrick B.S., he is what he is, and maybe not even that anymore).

I don't know what the team continues to see in him, doesn't show up on the field.

Based on 2016... That's true.

Based on 2014 & 2015... He put together a couple solid seasons.