Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign OL Dan Skipper

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
David Irving still has more reach than Skipper due to his incredible arm length.

Skipper 6'9-1/2", Arm 33"

Irving 6'7", Arm 38"

33" arms are outlandishly short for one with Skipper's height. Not so good for pass protection vs. DEs.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nice Game of Thrones reference......if that's what you meant.

He is a Mountain of a man, only problem I have with him is his feet. He always has had a problem with his feet against a speed rusher on the outside, probably why they are trying him out at guard. He's not a guard, he's most likely a RT, which is where they are trying him out right now.

He didn't get drafted cause of the tape. I would like to see him on the practice squad and let him work out some of his obvious issues.

He played well against Myles Garrett.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
33" arms are outlandishly short for one with Skipper's height. Not too good for pass protection vs. DEs.

They say height offsets lack of arm length. I can't explain the physics of it, but Joe Thomas 6-7, 32-1/2" was the best LT in the league for many years. Some people say if he was 6-4 it would have been harder for him to excel with the short arms.

I think it will be hard for him not to get called for holding. The temptation would be to put his hands on top the the pass rushers shoulder pads and press down. Some refs will likely call that holding while other might not.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I'm glad to see folks are at least using Skipper and Irving's actual heights and not artificially inflating their heights ala Rico Gathers supposedly being 6'-8".

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
They say height offsets lack of arm length. I can't explain the physics of it, but Joe Thomas 6-7, 32-1/2" was the best LT in the league for many years. Some people say if he was 6-4 it would have been harder for him to excel with the short arms.

I think it will be hard for him not to get called for holding. The temptation would be to put his hands on top the the pass rushers shoulder pads and press down. Some refs will likely call that holding while other might not.

Pass protection was reportedly the area he needs to work on the most upon his introduction to the pro level. They'll probably be working on his tendency to stand up too straight at times and teach him to bend at the knees more. Hopefully, he'll get into that habit and find success for us.

Last edited:

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
His official height as measured by the NFL is 6062. That's 6'6-2/8" (6'6-1/4").

So people vary what the official height is. In Baylor he was 6-8. In the NFL he is 6-6. Depends on who's tape measure one believes.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Guard or tackle, 6-10 is tall. We'll see. Should have long arms. Let's see the feet and bend.

conner01

Reaction score
Watched him a lot in college. He plays too straight up. If he can master proper technique he has a shot but his height allows speed guys to literally get under him. It can be overcome but he will have to really put in the work to learn how to play with the height disadvantage
Hopefully he can because I'd love to see him and irving beside each other on fg's. He is very good at blocking kicks