Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign S Darian Thompson

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Running a 4.69 forty doesn't seem like the kind of speed to do well in pass coverage. Looks like Darian is mostly a ST signing. Perhaps that's OK if he's good enough at it and can contribute decently enough to relieve Heath, if need be. Seems like the FO is considering trying him out on the field to compete with him. We'll see.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In fairness, it’s not like this hasn’t happened before. We’ve signed JAGs like this before, you guys run to claim this is just a camp body type signing and then months go by and guess what? This was the guy they signed on the cheap hoping to get lucky with.

We needed a S last year. They signed Robert Blanton. People said be patient, he’s just a body. But he wasn’t. He was the only S they signed. Benson Mayowa was another guy like this. We signed him, people tried to assure other fans he was just a depth signing and yet, in an offseason where we needed DEs, he was actually signed for a bigger role.

So let’s not act like it’s impossible that three months from now, this guy won’t be the only S added.
Every team has signed guys like this before. That’s the point.

As for Mayowa, he was a depth signing. He was never anything more than a rotational player.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know......I know that the FO knows more than the fans, but sometimes I think they dont.
He was on the practice squad in 2018 and maybe the 53 for a game or two.

The declined to pay him 2M on the tender and instead signed him for the minimum.

How is that something to complain about.

Sydla

Reaction score

As for Mayowa, he was a depth signing. He was never anything more than a rotational player.

In a year where we had two guys facing suspension and Hardy was sent packing, they needed more help at DE.

And they delivered..... Benson Mayowa.

Hopefully you are right and Thompson is just a camp body signing. But don’t be surprised if we get to June and he’s the only S we added via free agency.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
We can only sign our own at this point. Free Agency starts next week I think ? The "legal tampering" starts sunday. This is an OK move.
I've gone a full 180 on safety, Earl and Collins are too expensive. Think we will draft a safety and count on Woods, maybe pick up a cheaper safety later. But doubt my dream of Earl is happening.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In a year where we had two guys facing suspension and Hardy was sent packing, they needed more help at DE.

And they delivered..... Benson Mayowa.

Hopefully you are right and Thompson is just a camp body signing. But don’t be surprised if we get to June and he’s the only S we added via free agency.
I don’t disagree that they needed more help, but D-Law was coming off a solid year and had the promise of further upside, and they thought Gregory would be back, so they thought the starters would be set, and they just needed to flesh out the depth. Basically they screwed up by counting on things to go right with players who hadn’t yet proven reliable.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
He was on the practice squad in 2018 and maybe the 53 for a game or two.

The declined to pay him 2M on the tender and instead signed him for the minimum.

How is that something to complain about.
We just signed LB March-Lillard too

Burn down the house!!!!!!!!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

Mayowa was a mined talent. Restricted FAs are not often targeted. Yet the Great One kinda whiffed.

Ddisco22

Reaction score
Stephen and McClay working their FA magic now have enough safeties for the season and can concentrate on the DL
which now has 2 or 3 holes to fill. Bargain bin shopping paying big dividends.
Enough safeties and TE's now, neither of which provide any great value to winning games

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mayowa was a mined talent. Restricted FAs are not often targeted. Yet the Great One kinda whiffed.
In 2016 the Cowboys got from Mayowa about what they got from Randy Gregory. They have a long standing tradition of whiffing at DE