Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign S Darian Thompson

kskboys

Reaction score
I feel like this is a guy they're hoping to develop for the future, not expecting him to make an impact this season.

It's not like he's killing the cap.
If they think they can develop a guy lacking the physical traits to start, they're even dumber than I thought.

ksadler1

Reaction score
When you have a good coach, he can turn JAGs to HOFs. Kris is capable of that with that back group. Let's wait and see.

Hope I'm right

:cool:

Why not? I mean it's worked so well over the past 23 years. . .

eromeopolk

Reaction score

After declining to offer the restricted free agent tender, the Cowboys have signed safety Darian Thompson to a one-year deal worth $720,000. Thompson, a former third-round pick of the New York Giants in 2016, was signed off the Arizona Cardinals’ practice squad last October and saw most of his action on special teams. The Cowboys like Thompson’s athleticism and believe a full year in their offseason program will give him a chance to contribute more on defense.

Another Boise St. Player (Why don't we just don't hire Chris Petersen as Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys). His pro day results was much better than his combine. Great size at 6-2-210. Can tackle, willing to tackle, and makes tackles. Will be the best tackler in the secondary than any starter at safety with the Cowboys. However, he is not agile and flexible like the top safeties in the league. But with 19 interceptions at Bosie St., he has the ability to make turnovers (unlike most in the Cowboys secondary). He is a SS/WLB in a 4/3 Defense. He would be great as the in box S on passing downs.

jnday

Reaction score
Stephen Jones special.
Learn to like it because this is the type of FA signing that Stephen likes. Why pursue Earl Thomas when Stephen has signed this guy? The coming season could be the best chance for winning a Super Bowl in years and this is how Stephen chooses to address the positions of need in this offseason. Jerry was known for going after the big free agents and he signed the ones he really wanted even if he had to overpay to sign them. Players was lining up to come to Dallas. Since Stephen has took over, Dallas is no longer a top landing spot for FA signings. I have little hope that Stephen will make a competitive offer for Earl Thomas or any other top FA. This is what you can expect for this offseason and the future offseasons.

morat1959

Reaction score
Great... keep bringing in those under performning whatevers.... I'm sure it'll pay off ohh in the next 30+ years or so...just what we NEEDED ANOTHER ST player... good grief.

But our coaching staff will bring out in him what no other staff can! They’ve done it for 23 years. No worries here. We’ve always got Heath to fall back on. Yawn!!!!

morat1959

Reaction score
I know a lot of fans are pessimistic about Dallas' free agent goals, but I don't think this signing reflects anything more than the need to have bottom-of-the-roster players who contribute on special teams. If Darian Thompson is playing a big role on defense when the season rolls around, it will be a surprise. He's just a cheap fourth or fifth safety. Teams always want to sign players they feel have the potential to be more than that, but it doesn't mean they are going to just rely on them for more than that.
The only problem is every safety on the roster is a 4th-5th safety.

LittleD

Reaction score
Death
Taxes
The Jones’ refusing to upgrade the safety spot

Safety in the NFL is not now nor ever a "money5" position. You never spend big money on outside the money5 positions.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
At 6-2 and 211 lbs., he has the length, size and athleticism that Coach Kris Richard admires.

Admittedly, he hasn't been remotely productive for the last 3 years but he'll play cheaply! :rolleyes:

Last edited: