big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
th

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017...-rumor-safety-robert-blanton-for-a-visit-2017

Blanton played strong safety in Buffalo last year and started a couple of games while providing solid help on special teams. His year ended on IR after an injury in late November.

Blanton originally entered the league as a fifth-round draft choice of the Minnesota Vikings. He played there for four years and in 2014 led the team in tackles with 106. He is 27 years old.

The Cowboys are looking for players to compete with Jeff Heath who is currently the starting safety opposite Byron Jones but will surely have competition from free agents and draft picks. Kavon Frazier, a draft pick from last year, would also be in the mix.

Looks like he has some spunk

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bills-safety-robert-blanton-gives-his-side-of-the-scuffle/

“We were out there doing our normal game routine warming up as DBs and a couple of Patriots guys ran through our DB drill and I told them, ‘Hey, don’t run through our DB drill on the sideline," said Blanton to WEEI. "It’s disrespectful and you can get somebody hurt because the DB’s were back pedaling and stuff.'”

“I just went over there and told them to run on their side and don’t run through out DB drill.”

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wonder if this has any bearing on going SS in the first. Esp with what the BtB article eludes to above with the "competition with Heath" bit.

I wouldn't think so. After all, he first visited several weeks ago, and likely signed after not receiving much else in the way of offers. The Cowboys obviously had a set price point and stuck to it, so that tells me that he's a depth signing and not anything that would influence the draft.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
This just means they no longer feel they need to reach for a safety. They can grab one that falls to the 4th or 5th and attack more important positions of need or take a player they never expected to have a shot at in the top 3 rounds. This may allow them to snag another offensive weapon in the 2nd or 3rd.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I wouldn't think so. After all, he first visited several weeks ago, and likely signed after not receiving much else in the way of offers. The Cowboys obviously had a set price point and stuck to it, so that tells me that he's a depth signing and not anything that would influence the draft.
Blanton made minimum plus a $80K signing bonus last season. I would expect similar.

He rated highly @ the run in 2014

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I just love how this team continues to replace trash with more trash. :rolleyes:

Regardless...mark it down....We will be drafting a safety in the 1st. Nice smokescreen Jerry:laugh:

Obi Melifonwu SS/CB Connecticut...come on down:oldcouple: