Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign S Robert Blanton

speedkilz88

Reaction score
No they don't. They like to say they do all the time but their draft board has been leaked numerous times and there is almost always higher ranked players on the board that they pass on. Last year, Prescott wasn't even the highest ranked QB on the board but they still picked him. I bet they pick the true highest rated player on their board less than 40% of the time. My point is that they now do not have to go into the draft thinking they need a safety by round 3 which might have resulted in them over ranking a few so they know they will have options on draft day.
Scouts make up the board. Coaches get their say when they are on the clock. Which is why they drafted Dak and Tapper over others.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Scouts make up the board. Coaches get their say when they are on the clock. Which is why they drafted Dak and Tapper over others.

True but irrelevant to the point. They don't stick to their board for a variety of reasons so going into the draft without the additional veteran safety could have resulted in passing over more talented players to get a safety out of need. That temptation should no longer exist which is a positive thing. We know CB and DE are high priorities and it should be easy to get one of each within the top 3 rounds while sticking fairly close to their board. Now, they should be able to go in any direction with that other pick in the top three rounds and wait for good value on a safety.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't have a problem with this. He's a ST and depth guy. It won't stop us from drafting a safety if the right guy falls to us.

That's really the long & short of it.

He could start and not embarrass himself. And it doesn't stop the team from drafting another safety.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
True but irrelevant to the point. They don't stick to their board for a variety of reasons so going into the draft without the additional veteran safety could have resulted in passing over more talented players to get a safety out of need. That temptation should no longer exist which is a positive thing. We know CB and DE are high priorities and it should be easy to get one of each within the top 3 rounds while sticking fairly close to their board. Now, they should be able to go in any direction with that other pick in the top three rounds and wait for good value on a safety.
There are tiers that players are put on grade wise. I doubt any team drafts straight from their scouts boards. They draft within the tiers. They also probably have more leeway the lower the round. But it would be insane not to let the coaches have some input on the players they are expected to coach.

Sydla

Reaction score
That's really the long & short of it.

He could start and not embarrass himself. And it doesn't stop the team from drafting another safety.

He's likely not worse than Church. Sure, I hope we upgrade the one safety spot in the draft but at least at this point, I don't think safety is any worse than it was in 2016. And note, some people around here thought we really needed to bring Church back.

We just did.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's likely not worse than Church. Sure, I hope we upgrade the one safety spot in the draft but at least at this point, I don't think safety is any worse than it was in 2016. And note, some people around here thought we really needed to bring Church back.

We just did.

Valid point.

They brought back "Church" and saved a heck of a lot of cap space in doing so.