Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign S Robert Blanton

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I don't think it affects the draft at all.

Of course it effects the draft. That's precisely why they signed a veteran safety. It certainly doesn't mean they won't draft a safety. I definitely think they will. It simply means they now don't have to reach for one early at the expense of a better player at another position because they have another veteran that can play in certain packages and start if need be. I'd call that effecting the draft.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Me either,I believe our starting safety will come from next weekend IMO. I'm not totally trusting Jeff H. just yet.
I think it will be Heath on day 1, but a high draft pick would get snaps in sub packages immediately. If the pick progressed, then he would ease into the starting role as the season progressed.

Shuff

Reaction score
Robert Blanton
Height: 6006
Weight: 208
40 Yrd Dash: 4.52
20 Yrd Dash: 2.53
10 Yrd Dash: 1.55
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 12
Vertical Jump: 34
Broad Jump: 09'08"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 3.97
3-Cone Drill: 6.71

College CB that is really good against the run as a Safety in the NFL.

11/21/16 - SS Robert Blanton suffered a foot injury late in the first quarter and was on crutches in the postgame locker room.
11/02/16 - S Robert Blanton, who started on defense in place of Aaron Williams last week, is tied for the NFL lead with eight solo special teams tackles.
10/31/16 - SS Robert Blanton had his best game as a Bill as he started in place of injured Aaron Williams. He was in on 10 tackles, though he did commit a defensive holding penalty.
08/22/16 - SS Robert Blanton was in on two tackles and made an interception Saturday against the New York Giants.
03/19/16 - S Robert Blanton, who became an unrestricted free agent with the Vikings March 9, was signed by the Bills Friday (March 18).
He is very tall, 6006 inches or feet? :)

ksadler1

Reaction score
So who is he replacing and how does he compare to that person?

Who left that was a good ST player? This guy will probably be used more on ST's than anything else. He will also be good depth at S or CB as a fill-in.....

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, when we have no money and can't manage our cap ... all we can do is go shopping in the Marshalls clearance bin.
They could create 30 million in cap space tomorrow and will get another 14 million (relative to current overthecap numbers) on June 1st when Romo's "designated" June 1st cut kicks in.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Of course it effects the draft. That's precisely why they signed a veteran safety. It certainly doesn't mean they won't draft a safety. I definitely think they will. It simply means they now don't have to reach for one early at the expense of a better player at another position because they have another veteran that can play in certain packages and start if need be. I'd call that effecting the draft.

This won't affect the draft anymore than us signing Moore or Carroll affects is drafting a DE or CB.

None of Moore, Carroll, or Blanton are good enough to not be cut in camp

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I like this signing, Blanton adds position depth and special teams experience and now going into the draft gives the Cowboys the ability to take the best player available regardless of position...and not reach for need, which bodes well for their draft..

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I don't think this really changes anything. We only had 3 safeties on the roster. I still expect us to draft one.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Typical Cowboys VFA signing. If this sort of move surprises you, you haven't been paying attention. Fill holes with value FAs in free agency, add and develop talent through the draft.

I am glad to see we're bringing in an extra DB, though. Was feeling a bit exposed there heading into the draft.

willia451

Reaction score
64ff0daf92ac91dfde1b1a35f0562fa8.gif

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Typical Cowboys VFA signing. If this sort of move surprises you, you haven't been paying attention. Fill holes with value FAs in free agency, add and develop talent through the draft.

I am glad to see we're bringing in an extra DB, though. Was feeling a bit exposed there heading into the draft.
:muttley::lmao2:

speedkilz88

Reaction score

It's not like they don't tell us every year, that free agency is for filling holes so they don't need to reach on draft night. Blanton isn't going to have much bonus money so he won't be guaranteed a spot. Even though his STs ability should keep him on the roster.