Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign S Robert Blanton

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
During his Combine interview, Blanton talked about having three Defensive Coordinators in four years, and playing in two different schemes. His first two years were spent in a blitz-happy, almost exclusive man-to-man coverage, which is where I think Blanton excelled. He has good size (6'0", 208), but struggled tackling in those first two seasons. Enter the new coaching staff, which taught the defense how to tackle, and Blanton became more of a complete player. Problem was they played mostly a Cover-2 scheme, which isn't really a good fit for him. Blanton is good staying with receivers, so the presumed new scheme for the Colts should be a better fit than his final two years at ND.

That sounds awfully familiar to what he has endured with the Vikings, wouldn't you agree? During the 2012 and 2013 seasons (his first two with the Vikings) Blanton was relegated to a backup role. He played behind the likes of Jamarca Sanford and Mistral Raymond in Frazier's zone scheme. But when Mike Zimmer took over the team last year, they switched to more of a man-to-man defensive scheme, one where Blanton does much better and lo and behold, the team parted ways with Raymond and Sanford and moved Blanton into a starting role.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/www....870319/taking-a-look-at-safety-robert-blanton

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We better have the best pass rush in football history to cover for the mess on the back end of this defense.

GVPVODQTCUCGWWZ.20150811181400.jpg

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
During his Combine interview, Blanton talked about having three Defensive Coordinators in four years, and playing in two different schemes. His first two years were spent in a blitz-happy, almost exclusive man-to-man coverage, which is where I think Blanton excelled. He has good size (6'0", 208), but struggled tackling in those first two seasons. Enter the new coaching staff, which taught the defense how to tackle, and Blanton became more of a complete player. Problem was they played mostly a Cover-2 scheme, which isn't really a good fit for him. Blanton is good staying with receivers, so the presumed new scheme for the Colts should be a better fit than his final two years at ND.

That sounds awfully familiar to what he has endured with the Vikings, wouldn't you agree? During the 2012 and 2013 seasons (his first two with the Vikings) Blanton was relegated to a backup role. He played behind the likes of Jamarca Sanford and Mistral Raymond in Frazier's zone scheme. But when Mike Zimmer took over the team last year, they switched to more of a man-to-man defensive scheme, one where Blanton does much better and lo and behold, the team parted ways with Raymond and Sanford and moved Blanton into a starting role.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/www....870319/taking-a-look-at-safety-robert-blanton

Makes you wonder then why would we waste what little cap space we have to sign a piece of toast that doesn't fit the scheme? Don't like this one bit.:rolleyes:

I swear it seems like the front office is already paving the way back to a 3-4 man vs man defense in 2018...while leaving the coaching staff to hang out to dry in 2017. This franchise needs to get everyone on the same page. :mad:

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Cowboys scheme is pretty similar to Vikings isn't it? Cowboys do play man a lot. Zimmer copied the Bucs defense.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looks like he has some spunk

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bills-safety-robert-blanton-gives-his-side-of-the-scuffle/

“We were out there doing our normal game routine warming up as DBs and a couple of Patriots guys ran through our DB drill and I told them, ‘Hey, don’t run through our DB drill on the sideline," said Blanton to WEEI. "It’s disrespectful and you can get somebody hurt because the DB’s were back pedaling and stuff.'”

“I just went over there and told them to run on their side and don’t run through out DB drill.”

lol!

Yeah, I was watching that game... He earned some respect with Bills fans that day.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
It keeps the team from having to reach in the draft but not taking someone they want

Its an approach they've employed for several years now. They go out and sign jags to fill the holes in their roster so they can feel good about whoever they take in the draft.

I've wondered if its a way to minimize Jerry's meddling on draft day by being able to tell him, "we already have a (insert position here), we signed one in the off-season."

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I like him. I liked him coming out. He is not the most athletic player but he understands the game and he is a willing and able tackler.

I personally think this is a STs signing, more then anything but who knows?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like him. I liked him coming out. He is not the most athletic player but he understands the game and he is a willing and able tackler.

I personally think this is a STs signing, more then anything but who knows?
You are far to positive for this board. LOL

John813

Reaction score
Has the making of last year, where we played musical chairs at SS. Think unless someone falls in the draft the FO feels comfortable with Heath,Frazier and Blanton.

bodi

Reaction score
I just love how this team continues to replace trash with more trash. :rolleyes:

Regardless...mark it down....We will be drafting a safety in the 1st. Nice smokescreen Jerry:laugh:

Obi Melifonwu SS/CB Connecticut...come on down:oldcouple:

god not him and I will mark it dine

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Robert Blanton
Height: 6006
Weight: 208
40 Yrd Dash: 4.52
20 Yrd Dash: 2.53
10 Yrd Dash: 1.55
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 12
Vertical Jump: 34
Broad Jump: 09'08"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 3.97
3-Cone Drill: 6.71

College CB that is really good against the run as a Safety in the NFL.

11/21/16 - SS Robert Blanton suffered a foot injury late in the first quarter and was on crutches in the postgame locker room.
11/02/16 - S Robert Blanton, who started on defense in place of Aaron Williams last week, is tied for the NFL lead with eight solo special teams tackles.
10/31/16 - SS Robert Blanton had his best game as a Bill as he started in place of injured Aaron Williams. He was in on 10 tackles, though he did commit a defensive holding penalty.
08/22/16 - SS Robert Blanton was in on two tackles and made an interception Saturday against the New York Giants.
03/19/16 - S Robert Blanton, who became an unrestricted free agent with the Vikings March 9, was signed by the Bills Friday (March 18).

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wonder if this has any bearing on going SS in the first. Esp with what the BtB article eludes to above with the "competition with Heath" bit.
This just means they no longer feel they need to reach for a safety. They can grab one that falls to the 4th or 5th and attack more important positions of need or take a player they never expected to have a shot at in the top 3 rounds. This may allow them to snag another offensive weapon in the 2nd or 3rd.
I don't think it affects the draft at all.