Twitter: Cowboys Signing Aldon Smith to 1-yr/$4M Deal (must be reinstated first)

TheHerd

Reaction score
That's 4 mill if he meets his bonuses.

Heck, we don't even know if he's got any guaranteed money.

This is very much likely a "4 mill if you make the team and play well" deal. Ask yourself this ... if a guy who was once a dominant DE comes in and earns enough playing time to rack up eight sacks in the season, is that player worth 4 mill? He sure would be.

Only crazy thing is that people over and over fail to understand the non-guaranteed nature of most NFL contracts.
I understand and have zero problem with it. We have a ton of cap space despite the narrative and this is a perfect use. Try me deal.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Former Pro-Bowl DE selected 7th overall out of Missouri by the Niners back in 2011. Served multiple suspensions for smoking weed before entering rehab. Was eventually suspended for the entire 2016 & 2017 seasons. Now 30 years old, he hasn’t played in the league since 2015.
in other words, don't get your hopes up....lets see what he can do in camp...I remember. he was very good way back when...

TheHerd

Reaction score
Because you can use that space other ways. If not this year than next.

The "you have cap space so just use it frivolously" take doesn't make sense.
4 M potentially, if he hits everything, isn't really frivolous. He was a stud at one point, albeit long ago.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
It simply means they likely look elsewhere for help (CB, WR, LB). They aren’t going to cut the guys they have now. That’s why I said if an elite talent does slide, we take them. If not, we likely use picks 1 and 2 elsewhere. Before I saw DE or DT going one or two.

It simply doesn't mean that.

Their mind set is the exact same as before signing Aldon to a $0 guaranteed contract.

And prioritizing LB over DE....? What? LB might be their very last priority. Maybe you meant SAF?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
All of a sudden, Mike McCarthy is making our team from one of the youngest to one of the oldest. o_O:confused::facepalm:

I've got no problems with older veteran free agents, particularly if they're not starters. They're often good value. This case in particular, as he doesn't cost a comp pick coming in.

Dix, McCoy, and Poe have been tanks for their careers. Poe did miss some time last year. Torn quad. That's not much to worry about from 3 guys.