Signed by Cowboys Cowboys signing S Jeron Johnson

Carson

Reaction score
The Cowboys need players to make it through PRE-SEASON.

Earl Thomas if signed knows this defense better than anyone here other than Richard so wouldn't have taken a pre-season snap anyway.

George Iloka was released because his team wouldn't pay him 5M to back up Jessie Bates, by same token Dallas isn't paying him 5M to come here and back up Jeff Heath and be our 3rd Safety.

Iloka just isn’t going to happen.

They signed Sanders and now Johnson.

They go into the year with Heath, Woods, Frazier and now Johnson/Sanders.

Iloka has other suitors with the Raiders and possibly Chargers.

I don’t mind these signings. Just pray, neither one is asked to do much other than ST against Carolina.

Take this positive spin.

Woods' hamstring isn't as bad as people think, they are confident it won't be a nagging thing and he'll be ready by Week 1.

If it was worse, they'd be more desperate for a safety that can play. Because Jeron Jonson is barely a backup.

This.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It might not preclude them from still keeping in contact with Seattle over Thomas, but I think this pretty much closes the book on Iloka.

My belief is that if this closes the book on Iloka then the book was probably never really open. Right or wrong, I suspect the Cowboys don't think Iloka is a notable enough upgrade over our current starters to warrant signing him.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
26th in rating.

26th in TD passes allowed.

In other words, last year's pass D wasn't that good.

It wasn't from the safeties getting beat on deep passes. The Cowboys were top ten in preventing deep passes.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If it's a scrub for a scrub move, have you actually "upgraded"?

I just don't understand this assumption that because we signed a guy, we're supposed to have "upgraded"?
:huh:

At most Johnson was signed to compete for a bottom of the depth chart/ST role. It's possible he may have only been signed as a body to fill in so we don't have to risk the health of other safeties.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At most Johnson was signed to compete for a bottom of the depth chart/ST role. It's possible he may have only been signed as a body to fill in so we don't have to risk the health of other safeties.

So not an "upgrade" then? That's what I was questioning, this assumption that because a guy is signed this team is instantly "upgraded".

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So not an "upgrade" then? That's what I was questioning, this assumption that because a guy is signed this team is instantly "upgraded".

I was agreeing with you. Sorry if it didn't come across that way.

Sydla

Reaction score
It wasn't from the safeties getting beat on deep passes. The Cowboys were top ten in preventing deep passes.

Oh so because we played a lot of deep zones that means our safeties were pretty good?

Come on. Being 26th in TD passes allowed and opposing QB rating speaks to the entire secondary.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Come on. Being 26th in TD passes allowed and opposing QB rating speaks to the entire secondary.

We also revamped the entire secondary without a transition plan. I suspect that the play was a lot better towards the end of the season than the beginning, but I can't find stat splits.

DiResta

Reaction score
it's fine as long as you don't think about the receiving threats including tight ends in the division
but, if you were to consider it would be a really tough assignment for a very good secondary to control receiving threats of Houston, New Orleans & Atlanta well, it's a bit worrisome even with Xavier 100%
those are the teams you need to beat if you have plans to keep playing post-season

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
If this is an upgrade why has he not played in 2 years? Guess due to injury or did he come out of retirement. Why not just get Woody back from DSPN.

He played in 2016 (4 games). Spent 2017 on Jacksonville's IR (got injury settlement, released).

Not sure "upgrade" is the word I'd use - more like an addition.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh so because we played a lot of deep zones that means our safeties were pretty good?

The entire secondary? It seemed like you have only been talking about the safeties. In any case, my point was the safeties are largely responsible for help over the top, and opposing teams didn't gain a lot of ground or scoring a lot of TDs on the Cowboys throwing over the top.

Sydla

Reaction score
We also revamped the entire secondary without a transition plan. I suspect that the play was a lot better towards the end of the season than the beginning, but I can't find stat splits.

The play at the end of the year was also a bit skewed because we faced some terrible offenses like the Giants and then an Eagles team that benched their starters.

This was, at best, a mediocre secondary last year. They provided some hope with Richard coming in, Jones moving to CB and the belief Awuzie would develop. They took a risk at S bringing in no one in and thinking they could survive with Heath, Frazier and Woods, three guys who, frankly, are probably limited safeties.

And in the face of their starting FS going down with an injury that can linger long beyond what is the recovery time, they pass up a safety, who while not ideal, still is probably a lateral move that is insurance against a long problem with Woods.

Instead, they pull a guy who hasn't played football in a year, I guess, because he played with Richard in Seattle.

I am not sure how people can look at this situation and say, you know what, the Cowboys really handled this thing well.