Cowboys starting RDE?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I can easily see your point and have felt that way, myself, for some time now. We have been woefully weak in recent times at the DE spot, so getting a DE like K'Lavon Chaisson would likely be seen by many as a very fortunate acquisition at pick #17. The DE supply is limited. Of course, everyone has their idea as to who they might prefer, so there's that to consider, too. Knowing how the Dallas FO works, let's face it, anything can happen, though. :rolleyes:

I am concerned that Dallas feels Smith and Gregory will be just fine at DE, hopefully they aren't counting on them, just hoping they will be available/good, and will draft a good DE. IF the draft goes as some predict, will be a lot of WRs drafted early in the first, leaving some good, if not great, DEs available even at 51,

Though I'd try to trade their third rounder and a player or two to move up in the second round. Not likely, but Dallas has too many needs, imho, to think they can fill them with picks 82, etc...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its not that Jaylon cant drop back in coverage its the coaches putting our LBs in impossible positions to succeed in coverage. Kris Richard should never call plays in the NFL again.

Coverage is not a strength of Smith's game. He's better going forward than in reverse. I hope they play to his strengths.

king987

Reaction score
RDE is definitely my biggest worry right now. I think its safe to say that they didn't expect Quinn to get swooped away like he did.

I'm pretty confident they'll make a move, draft or free agent. It would be pretty ludicrous if they went into the season depending on Gregory, Smith, & potentially Crawford.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
If I’m Dismissing character, injuries, etc

if they’re all healthy and playing to their potential Aldon has to be the starter

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I am concerned that Dallas feels Smith and Gregory will be just fine at DE, hopefully they aren't counting on them, just hoping they will be available/good, and will draft a good DE. IF the draft goes as some predict, will be a lot of WRs drafted early in the first, leaving some good, if not great, DEs available even at 51,

Though I'd try to trade their third rounder and a player or two to move up in the second round. Not likely, but Dallas has too many needs, imho, to think they can fill them with picks 82, etc...

It's difficult to predict the quality of a DE if we pass one up early and decide to wait until later. That'd be a tough call, for sure! :omg:

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
For me personally, D Line is the one position group (WR to some extent too) where you can get by with rotation/reps.

Crawford is a donut at RDE but his team is hell bent on justifying his contract.

Gregory and Smith are question marks off the field, but pretty darn good players on the field.

I don't even want to entertain the thought of Crawford being the Cowboys best option at RDE. We have the draft and possibly Smith or Gregory. But like you said, rotation can be a good thing over there. Less likely they'll take plays off.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I agree....but at 17?????? I'm not sure..

I would sign Everson yesterday, but it appears that won't meet his price tag, the same for all the other quality DE's still available. We heard a few weeks ago, that they would rather sign E. Sanders then Griffen, which suggests they are more comfortable at the position then we realize.

Crawford certainly can be the base starter at the position, add a rookie like Chassion/Davidson/Weaver, they certainly can make an impact within the rotation.

The front office also believes the likes of Gregory/Smith are both going to be reinstated. Gregory's issue was smoking weed, that is no longer punishable via suspension, you would think they are comfortable having him for the entire season.

The combine interview list had a ton of day 3 edge rushers, you would think they are going to double up at the position. Looks like the way they are going to address the need is throw numbers at it, allow competition to decide the roles.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It's hard to say what the quality of the DEs will be if we pass up what's a DE early and decide to wait 'til later. It's a tough call, for sure.

Yes, I tend to go with Walterfootball for draft ratings, there's not but a couple of top notch DEs, everybody else either is a bit slow, has injury concerns or other problems.

I still have hopes for Armstrong, had good size and speed coming into the league, bit weak, but he's been on the team 2 years, if he doesn't shine this year (assuming there is a year) he'll be added to the long list of Cowboys draft failures...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I just don't see keeping Crawford is a benefit overall to the Cowboys. Sure he can play both DE and DT, but this is not a team that just needs versatile players, they need more top performers, and at his current salary Dallas can get a couple of more narrowly defined positional players that will benefit the team....

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I just don't see keeping Crawford is a benefit overall to the Cowboys. Sure he can play both DE and DT, but this is not a team that just needs versatile players, they need more top performers, and at his current salary Dallas can get a couple of more narrowly defined positional players that will benefit the team....

Nolan is going to run a hybrid defensive scheme, Crawford's best position maybe at 3-4 DE. Also, I think the team is more comfortable having Crawford as the backup 3 then T. Hill at the moment.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Yes, I tend to go with Walterfootball for draft ratings, there's not but a couple of top notch DEs, everybody else either is a bit slow, has injury concerns or other problems.

I still have hopes for Armstrong, had good size and speed coming into the league, bit weak, but he's been on the team 2 years, if he doesn't shine this year (assuming there is a year) he'll be added to the long list of Cowboys draft failures...

I can surely see that. We have a large supply of iffy DEs but lack several who are very likely to succeed. I'd respect a talented DE pick at #17.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I can surely see that -- we have a large supply of iffy DEs but lack several that are very likely to succeed. I'd respect a DE pick at #17.

DE, CB, S all are a need on this team.

Can we trade Crawford for two first rounders?

:grin:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
DE, CB, S all are a need on this team.

Can we trade Crawford for two first rounders?

:grin:

To be honest, I doubt any capable GM would give up that much for a "tweener."

Only an incompetent one would even consider it, imo. I know you're kidding! ;)

Last edited:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Nolan is going to run a hybrid defensive scheme, Crawford's best position maybe at 3-4 DE. Also, I think the team is more comfortable having Crawford as the backup 3 then T. Hill at the moment.

They probably are, but comfort doesn't win SBs. Crawford will suck up $9 million of cap space, that's just way too much for a "versatile" player that's not that good at either DT or DE. With the signing of McCoy and Poe, and still having Hill, Ross and some guy named Hamilton, DT isn't as big a need as it was before McCoy and Poe came to the team...

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Coverage is not a strength of Smith's game. He's better going forward than in reverse. I hope they play to his strengths.
I disagree. I have seen Jaylon be great in coverage since college. This includes with the Cowboys. He can do it all. That may be in question by the casual fan which again is a failure of coaching

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree. I have seen Jaylon be great in coverage since college. This includes with the Cowboys. He can do it all. That may be in question by the casual fan which again is a failure of coaching

Ok, we'll agree to disagree

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. Randy Gregory
2. Alton Smith
3. Tyrone Crawford
4. Dorance Armstrong
5. Joe Jackson
We will know by week one who should be starting. But too much emphasis is being placed on who the starter is. The rotation that will take place truly means whoever is starts the game means little. Right now (which means nothing) the Cowboys probably have Crawford penciled in as starter.