Cowboys starting RDE?

817Gill

Reaction score
And your fixation on that WR3 is every bit as much of "how you might see it personally." I hope you realize that too.
Nah not really lol, just look at the moves it’s not hard to see they have 3 RDE’s in their plans. They also tried to upgrade the slot position unsuccessfully, showing they obviously want to add someone there to upgrade. All of their FA signings except Blake Bell have been on defense.

You know how this FO operates in the offseason. Sign your own, bargain FA deals for stop gap starters and 1 year prove it guys, and fill in the depth and future through the draft. They tried to sign slot WR’s but were unsuccessful. They did sign a S, DT’s, a RDE, and expect another one back from suspension; all while basically granting Crawford a starting spot. The only two starting positions the team failed to upgrade was CB1 and WR, meaning they will probably be amongst the top targets in the draft. How’s that arguable?

I could care less about a WR, I’m a fan of the team and want to have a good idea of who we pick. By just taking a look at what moves we made and what the FO thinks about their guys, it seems pretty obvious that WR is going to be a top target. I have no personal stake in it whatsoever lol, you on the other hand hate Crawford and are probably reasonably doubtful about the availability of Smith and Gregory. So in your eyes, RDE becomes a huge need. The FO loves Crawford, and they feel Randy and Aldon are coming back. They don’t see the need as immediate as you do.

There are also draft rumors suggesting the team is targeting CB1 and WR in the draft. There’s a 10 page thread discussing it.

Last edited:

Kaiser

Reaction score
Epenesa is super solid to me but I think he’s a high floor low ceiling kinda guy. Perfect New England Patriot lol hard worker, technically sound, good size and potential to be versatile across the line. Basically what Crawford was billed to be lol.

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THATS HOLY DO NOT LET @stasheroo HEAR THAT!!!!!

I agree, we don't need the solid type if DLaw is at LDE. Id rather take an edge guy that could be special down the line than solid, good not great guy if we are spending a mid first on it. We already have a lottery ticket for that edge rusher in Gregory and if you really want that solid type they will still be available after the draft.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nah not really lol,

That's just ignorance. To think that your opinion is somehow more accurate that someone else's on what the Cowboys will do in the draft. None of us truly knows. It's all guesswork.

just look at the moves it’s not hard to see they have 3 RDE’s in their plans. They also tried to upgrade the slot position unsuccessfully, showing they obviously want to add someone there to upgrade. All of their FA signings except Blake Bell have been on defense.

And? This is definitive proof of anything they'll do in the draft.

You know how this FO operates in the offseason. Sign your own, bargain FA deals for stop gap starters and 1 year prove it guys, and fill in the depth and future through the draft. They tried to sign slot WR’s but were unsuccessful.

Because we heard a few rumors about supposed interest? Is that undeniable proof of anything?

They did sign a S, DT’s, a RDE, and except another one back from suspension; all while basically granting Crawford a starting spot. The only two starting positions the team failed to upgrade was CB1 and WR, meaning they will probably be amongst the top targets in the draft. How’s that arguable?

Because none of the RDE's you listed can be considered reliable. That's how.

There are also draft rumors suggesting the team is targeting CB1 and WR in the draft. There’s a 10 page thread discussing it.

Key word "rumors", you seem to be misconstruing that with facts.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THATS HOLY DO NOT LET @stasheroo HEAR THAT!!!!!

I agree, we don't need the solid type if DLaw is at LDE. Id rather take an edge guy that could be special down the line than solid, good not great guy if we are spending a mid first on it. We already have a lottery ticket for that edge rusher in Gregory and if you really want that solid type they will still be available after the draft.

It's funny, I actually think that Epenesa reminds me of Crawford too!

:laugh:

And why I personally want no part of him.

817Gill

Reaction score
That's just ignorance. To think that your opinion is somehow more accurate that someone else's on what the Cowboys will do in the draft. None of us truly knows. It's all guesswork.

And? This is definitive proof of anything they'll do in the draft.

Because we heard a few rumors about supposed interest? Is that undeniable proof of anything?

Because none of the RDE's you listed can be considered reliable. That's how.

Key word "rumors", you seem to be misconstruing that with facts.
Dude at the end of the day, you see Crawford as not a starter and (with obvious reason) are doubtful about the availability and ability of Randy and Aldon. The FO sees Crawford as a starter and his price tag proves it and they obviously believe Gregory and Aldon come back and can play. So to them, RDE most likely isn’t the same level of need as you see it.

I’m not saying it’s the right way to see it man I have no
personal stake in this lol. But if you feel like the FO doesn’t think Crawford is a starter or doesn’t think Aldon and Gregory will play, that’s not supported by much.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dude at the end of the day, you see Crawford as not a starter and (with obvious reason) are doubtful about the availability and ability of Randy and Aldon. The FO sees Crawford as a starter and his price tag proves it and they obviously believe Gregory and Aldon come back and can play. So to them, RDE most likely isn’t the same level of need as you see it.

Maybe, maybe not. That's speculation until something does or does not happen one way or the other. If they are placing their total faith in that group, what's your opinion on that:

Two choices. Smart move or dumb move?

I’m not saying it’s the right way to see it man I have no
personal stake in this lol. But if you feel like the FO doesn’t think Crawford is a starter or doesn’t think Aldon and Gregory will play, that’s not supported by much.

That's kind of what I'm getting at, you have your opinion of receiver being a higher need, I have mine of other positions. At the end of the day, neither of us knows what this team will or won't do, right?

CowboyJ70

Reaction score
I just don't see keeping Crawford is a benefit overall to the Cowboys. Sure he can play both DE and DT, but this is not a team that just needs versatile players, they need more top performers, and at his current salary Dallas can get a couple of more narrowly defined positional players that will benefit the team....
This^

817Gill

Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not. That's speculation until something does or does not happen one way or the other. If they are placing their total faith in that group, what's your opinion on that:

Two choices. Smart move or dumb move?

That's kind of what I'm getting at, you have your opinion of receiver being a higher need, I have mine of other positions. At the end of the day, neither of us knows what this team will or won't do, right?
I just don’t see anything that supports your opinion lol.

-Until something changes, Crawford is getting 9M to start.

-The team didn’t sign Aldon Smith because they didn’t think he’d be back, they also did their research on the signing and reports alluded to Glazer’s endorsement of Smith’s athletic prowess. They obviously feel like he’s gonna be back and contributing at DE.

-The FO has given Randy chance after chance and doubled down with an extension a few years ago. He’s applied for reinstatement into an NFL that if they let him in, won’t ever have grounds to kick him out again. I think it’s safe to say the FO believes he will be back and contributing next year.

-The FO tried and failed to upgrade the slot WR position in FA. Slot WR’s are basically starters. The only people on the roster currently who play that position are ones you can’t count on. Meaning there is a clear need to upgrade a quasi-starting position.

There is ample evidence to suggest the FO sees a more significant need next season at slot WR, solely based on the resources they’ve dedicated to the positions. No you can’t know what the FO is exactly thinking we aren’t them, but we can step back and look at the bigger picture and read between the lines. What evidence do you have that this team is targeting DE? The fact that they talked to Chaisson at the draft lol?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just don’t see anything that supports your opinion lol.

-Until something changes, Crawford is getting 9M to start.

-The team didn’t sign Aldon Smith because they didn’t think he’d be back, they also did their research on the signing and reports alluded to Glazer’s endorsement of Smith’s athletic prowess. They obviously feel like he’s gonna be back and contributing at DE.

He's also been guaranteed nothing. Does that sound like a deal made with confidence?

-The FO has given Randy chance after chance and doubled down with an extension a few years ago. He’s applied for reinstatement into an NFL that if they let him in, won’t ever have grounds to kick him out again. I think it’s safe to say the FO believes he will be back and contributing next year.

How's that worked out for 'em? What's the definition of insanity again?

-The FO tried and failed to upgrade the slot WR position in FA. Slot WR’s are basically starters. The only people on the roster currently who play that position are ones you can’t count on. Meaning there is a clear need to upgrade a quasi-starting position.

Did they? Who did they visit with? Who visited the facilities and went elsewhere? Those were rumors, rumors that you're treating as facts.

There is ample evidence to suggest the FO sees a more significant need next season at slot WR, solely based on the resources they’ve dedicated to the positions. No you can’t know what the FO is exactly thinking we aren’t them, but we can step back and look at the bigger picture and read between the lines. What evidence do you have that this team is targeting DE? The fact that they talked to Chaisson at the draft lol?

Do the "lol's" help you to feel better about things?

I guess about the same "evidence" that you have that they're "targeting" receivers - none.

But the rules are apparently different when it's your opinion vs someone else's.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It seems that if Gregory is reinstated, then it will be far less likely that he would get suspended again under the new CBA.

True but I guess the next question is can Gregory control himself. This doesn't change the fact he's an addict and certainly not a pass to show up game day baked?

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/sports/nfl-cba-marijuana-suspensions
playoffs, the league will be making a big change in how it institutes its drug policy. As reported by ESPN’s Dan Graziano, the league will cease to suspend players for any marijuana violations.

The end of suspensions for marijuana also comes with raising the threshold for a negative drug test, from 35 nanograms of THC to 150. The NFL will also not test after the first two weeks of training camp. Graziano reports that this is part of a shift on how the league tackles its drug policy:

The idea is to focus the drug program on clinical care as opposed to punishment. Basically, if you test positive, your test gets reviewed by a board of jointly appointed medical professionals to determine whether you need any kind of treatment.

Additionally, the NFLPA’s memo about the deal says that “violations of law for marijuana possession generally will not result in suspension.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I believe taking or trading up for Javon Kinlaw gives us the most impact for next season and for the future, more so then any other player in this draft outside of Chase Young. I'm confident Randy Gregory is here to finally stay, his issues have never been about getting in trouble with the law, he just is addicted to smoking weed in which the NFL will not suspend in the future. Alcohol, Steroids, Domestic disputes, are still punishable. I believe Gregory could effectively become a every down player. Kinlaw can play anywhere you need him and would be a match-up nightmare that would help the entire line/front 7.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
1. Randy Gregory...... drug addiction, started one game in four years
2. Alton Smith............alcoholic, hasn't played since 2015
3. Tyrone Crawford....coming off surgery, IRed 2019, better DT?????
4. Dorance Armstrong.....2.5 sacks in two years
5. Joe Jackson...........?????

Still lots of questions and what-ifs

**Crawford is listed as the current starter until......
**Remember Gregory, Smith, and Crawford will be free agents after this year
**Gregory has started only 1 game in five years
**Alton Smith is one drink from???
**How much $$$$ are we willing to invest in a quality tier 2 free agent considering DLaw $20M per year at LDE? What if tier 2 players ( Clowney and/or Griffen ) are looking for multi-year deals?
**What if we draft DE at 17 and Smith and/or Gregory have career years. Long-term offers or let them walk?

My point, this position is far from being settled. I'm guessing we will still add one quality player via free agent or draft.

Side note: IMO this is why they haven't asked Crawford to take a pay-cut, his experience, and stability. Not to mention, we're not locked into his salary until after the first regular-season game. My guess is they will wait until they've settled on a starter sometime before the season starts to make a final decision on his pay-cut.

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/DAL

Your view point is clearly from a biased, angry guy over exaggerating to prove some kind of irrational point.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Your view point is clearly from a biased, angry guy over exaggerating to prove some kind of irrational point.

Roy, what in the world are you talking about. Angry??????? where that come from......?? The point I'm trying to make the position still has a lot of questions before we can settle on who will be 2020 starter or if he's even on roster yet. I personally would love nothing better than to see both Smith and Gregory have an all-pro year but they but have personal challenges. But to think I'm angry over this is off base.......good lord, way off base.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I believe taking or trading up for Javon Kinlaw gives us the most impact for next season and for the future, more so then any other player in this draft outside of Chase Young. I'm confident Randy Gregory is here to finally stay, his issues have never been about getting in trouble with the law, he just is addicted to smoking weed in which the NFL will not suspend in the future. Alcohol, Steroids, Domestic disputes, are still punishable. I believe Gregory could effectively become a every down player. Kinlaw can play anywhere you need him and would be a match-up nightmare that would help the entire line/front 7.

My only question with him ....... the knee. Minor or ?????s

Mr_437

Reaction score
True but I guess the next question is can Gregory control himself. This doesn't change the fact he's an addict and certainly not a pass to show up game day baked?

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/sports/nfl-cba-marijuana-suspensions
playoffs, the league will be making a big change in how it institutes its drug policy. As reported by ESPN’s Dan Graziano, the league will cease to suspend players for any marijuana violations.

The end of suspensions for marijuana also comes with raising the threshold for a negative drug test, from 35 nanograms of THC to 150. The NFL will also not test after the first two weeks of training camp. Graziano reports that this is part of a shift on how the league tackles its drug policy:

The idea is to focus the drug program on clinical care as opposed to punishment. Basically, if you test positive, your test gets reviewed by a board of jointly appointed medical professionals to determine whether you need any kind of treatment.

Additionally, the NFLPA’s memo about the deal says that “violations of law for marijuana possession generally will not result in suspension.
Played with many of guys in HS and college who played higher than a mofo and balled out, heck, most of them played better high. Also, played with guys who took shots before games. It's all apart of football.

817Gill

Reaction score
He's also been guaranteed nothing. Does that sound like a deal made with confidence?

How's that worked out for 'em? What's the definition of insanity again?

Did they? Who did they visit with? Who visited the facilities and went elsewhere? Those were rumors, rumors that you're treating as facts.

Do the "lol's" help you to feel better about things?

I guess about the same "evidence" that you have that they're "targeting" receivers - none.

But the rules are apparently different when it's your opinion vs someone else's.
You're reaching bud :huh:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Played with many of guys in HS and college who played higher than a mofo and balled out, heck, most of them played better high. Also, played with guys who took shots before games. It's all apart of football.

LOL....I'll take your word

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Roy, what in the world are you talking about. Angry??????? where that come from......?? The point I'm trying to make the position still has a lot of questions before we can settle on who will be 2020 starter or if he's even on roster yet. I personally would love nothing better than to see both Smith and Gregory have an all-pro year but they but have personal challenges. But to think I'm angry over this is off base.......good lord, way off base.

LOL...…...sorry I was responding to someone else. Wrong person. :grin: