Cowboys starting RDE?

cowboyec

Reaction score
K'Lavon Chaisson,Lsu
Julian Okwara,Notre Dame
Curtis Weaver,Boise St
Alton Robinson,Syracuse
it'll be one of them....or Randy Gregory.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I'd rather we waited until the fourth to draft a DE. Jason Stowbridge comes to mind.

1) CB
2) SS
3) OL
4) DE
5) WR
5) TE
7) DT

Kingofholland

Reaction score
1. Randy Gregory...... drug addiction, started one game in four years
2. Alton Smith............alcoholic, hasn't played since 2015
3. Tyrone Crawford....coming off surgery, IRed 2019, better DT?????
4. Dorance Armstrong.....2.5 sacks in two years
5. Joe Jackson...........?????

Still lots of questions and what-ifs

**Crawford is listed as the current starter until......
**Remember Gregory, Smith, and Crawford will be free agents after this year
**Gregory has started only 1 game in five years
**Alton Smith is one drink from???
**How much $$$$ are we willing to invest in a quality tier 2 free agent considering DLaw $20M per year at LDE? What if tier 2 players ( Clowney and/or Griffen ) are looking for multi-year deals?
**What if we draft DE at 17 and Smith and/or Gregory have career years. Long-term offers or let them walk?

My point, this position is far from being settled. I'm guessing we will still add one quality player via free agent or draft.

Side note: IMO this is why they haven't asked Crawford to take a pay-cut, his experience, and stability. Not to mention, we're not locked into his salary until after the first regular-season game. My guess is they will wait until they've settled on a starter sometime before the season starts to make a final decision on his pay-cut.

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/DAL

Crawford probably starts week 1, but will heavily rotate with Gregory and Smith. By week 3 he gives up the starting role to Gregory or Smith.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I disagree. I have seen Jaylon be great in coverage since college. This includes with the Cowboys. He can do it all. That may be in question by the casual fan which again is a failure of coaching

It's possible the former coaching of the C'boys under JG was partly to blame for his problems. I hope the new staff serves him well.

Kaiser

Reaction score
My point, this position is far from being settled. I'm guessing we will still add one quality player via free agent or draft.

I do think they add a RDE in the draft and it they don't get a high pick at the position, they look at signing a FA then. Right now they need to wait and see how the draft falls.

But I have the opposite reaction, they have three shots at a starter in Smith, Gregory and Armstrong. It would be foolish to depend on any one of those three, but with the three together the odds add up to a good shot at having a good starter at that position.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We will know by week one who should be starting. But too much emphasis is being placed on who the starter is. The rotation that will take place truly means whoever is starts the game means little. Right now (which means nothing) the Cowboys probably have Crawford penciled in as starter.

tenor.gif

Reaction score
It's a bit unclear but I think the NFL voided the extension because he was ineligible due to being suspended at the time.

Ahh, maybe so. At least it appears he’s a restricted free agent in 2021, so we can likely keep him for a reasonable cost if he performs this year

817Gill

Reaction score
Guys Chaisson is a top 15 pick due solely to athletic traits and flash plays. He had ok production in school and was injured multiple times missing large chunks of his career at LSU.

This kid is a boom or bust prospect, not a day 1 starter. He’s going to start his career as a situational/rotational pass rusher, we have 2 of those coming back if reinstated. Selecting him will be to hope he can be the RDE of the future, he is by no means a lock to start as his draft spot would indicate.

This is a weak pass rusher class. There are guys like Zach Baun and Terrell Lewis who are really intriguing but the list isn’t long. I would be fine with rolling with who we have on the roster now, and waiting until next years class to go RDE high if needed.

CB, WR, S is what I think will be addressed in the first 3 rounds.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guys Chaisson is a top 15 pick due solely to athletic traits and flash plays. He had ok production in school and was injured multiple times missing large chunks of his career at LSU.

This kid is a boom or bust prospect, not a day 1 starter. He’s going to start his career as a situational/rotational pass rusher, we have 2 of those coming back if reinstated. Selecting him will be to hope he can be the RDE of the future, he is by no means a lock to start as his draft spot would indicate.

This is a weak pass rusher class. There are guys like Zach Baun and Terrell Lewis who are really intriguing but the list isn’t long. I would be fine with rolling with who we have on the roster now, and waiting until next years class to go RDE high if needed.

CB, WR, S is what I think will be addressed in the first 3 rounds.

WR?
:huh:

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score

**How much $$$$ are we willing to invest in a quality tier 2 free agent considering DLaw $20M per year at LDE? What if tier 2 players ( Clowney and/or Griffen ) are looking for multi-year deals?
**What if we draft DE at 17 and Smith and/or Gregory have career years. Long-term offers or let them walk?

Side note: IMO this is why they haven't asked Crawford to take a pay-cut, his experience, and stability. Not to mention, we're not locked into his salary until after the first regular-season game. My guess is they will wait until they've settled on a starter sometime before the season starts to make a final decision on his pay-cut.

Alton Smith ?
tenor.gif

817Gill

Reaction score
Yeah we have an offensive head coach and all our FA signings went to defense. Had we signed Emmanuel Sanders/Philip Dorsett, we wouldn’t see WR until the 4-5+. Not only is there no starter at WR3, but after Coop and Gallup we have JAGs and projects. Unless there’s an unpassable BPA guy, expect to see WR in the first three rounds.

There are only 2 positions that need starters next season not on the roster CB1 and Slot WR.

Kaiser

Reaction score

Agree on Chaisson but he has rare skills. What do you think Epenesa? He is slotted right around 17 at this point.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah we have an offensive head coach and all our FA signings went to defense. Had we signed Emmanuel Sanders/Philip Dorsett, we wouldn’t see WR until the 4-5+. Not only is there no starter at WR3, but after Coop and Gallup we have JAGs and projects. Unless there’s an unpassable BPA guy, expect to see WR in the first three rounds.

There are only 2 positions that need starters next season not on the roster CB1 and Slot WR.

RDE1 is right there too. We just lost our leading sacker by a huge margin.

I'll rank RDE1 and CB1 over WR3 by a large margin.

I can pick up Taylor Gabriel for cheap today to be my slot receiver, I can't find a RDE1 or CB1 for anywhere close, if at all.

817Gill

Reaction score
Agree on Chaisson but he has rare skills. What do you think Epenesa? He is slotted right around 17 at this point.
Yeah Chaisson is a guy who in year 2 could blossom, but there are folks who are penciling him in as a day 1 difference maker starting at RDE.

Epenesa is super solid to me but I think he’s a high floor low ceiling kinda guy. Perfect New England Patriot lol hard worker, technically sound, good size and potential to be versatile across the line. Basically what Crawford was billed to be lol. 7-9 sacks, QB pressures, good run defender, high character leader/teammate.

If we were using the same defensive end metrics as last regime, I think you see us a lot more on his trail. He’s a guy (if we were under Marinelli) I would trade back into the 20’s to take happily with an extra 3rd in my pocket. I think Nolan likes the more athletic standup/hand in the ground versatile DE’s like Gregory/Smith. Chaisson makes a bit more sense in that regard. Smh had we made this switch a few years back we’d have Watt.

817Gill

Reaction score
RDE1 is right there too. We just lost our leading sacker by a huge margin.

I'll rank RDE1 and CB1 over WR3 by a large margin.

I can pick up Taylor Gabriel for cheap today to be my slot receiver, I can't find a RDE1 or CB1 for anywhere close, if at all.
Nah man that’s how you might see it personally, but the FO obviously not only likes Tyrone Crawford but they also feel like Randy and Aldon are coming back. Looking at it from their lense, they are well stocked at RDE for next season. Any pick made there is for a future starter. Other than Chase Young, no DE starts for us day 1. Chaisson is most effective a rotational guy his rookie year, he’s a bit raw and reliant on athleticism.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Crawford has been the starting RDE some full seasons and parts of others.

Gregory averaged well over 50% of the snaps at RDE in 2018 starting with game 7. Obviously over 50% means he played more snaps there than the "starter". Crawford played at RDE primarily on base downs then often played DT on passing downs.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It seems that if Gregory is reinstated, then it will be far less likely that he would get suspended again under the new CBA.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nah man that’s how you might see it personally, but the FO obviously not only likes Tyrone Crawford but they also feel like Randy and Aldon are coming back. Looking at it from their lense, they are well stocked at RDE for next season. Any pick made there is for a future starter. Other than Chase Young, no DE starts for us day 1. Chaisson is most effective a rotational guy his rookie year, he’s a bit raw and reliant on athleticism.

And your fixation on that WR3 is every bit as much of "how you might see it personally." I hope you realize that too.