Twitter: Cowboys talking numbers with Peters

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleD

Reaction score
Stephen always appears to be having to prove something to Daddy...'look, Daddy, I got him to sign for aless than last year, look at how well I did'.
We go from Jerry with his inferiority complex with Jimmy to second generation, Stephen, with Daddy issues.
Surely Jerry's fathered someone with a football brain?

Stephen is the next King in Dallas and he has put a quash on Jerry's big spending ways.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
You simply don't know that Tyler Smith won't prove to be a good replacement for Tyron Smith, and if I was named Jones, then I would ALSO want to know sooner than later if my recent 1st round pick can handle the job now. So, I don't think the Cowboys are half-assing it. What they ARE doing by talking to Peters is setting up a contingency plan just in case Tyler Smith is not yet ready. Signing a veteran backup before Tyron Smith was injured would just take playing and development time away from their recent draft picks. Signing one about two weeks after Tyron Smith went down, and before game 1 is a good plan.

Listen, the Cowboys gave Josh Ball a very long look at Left Tackle this preseason. That is ultimately a good thing for the Cowboys. Ball fell short, but the reality is he was injured all of last season, and this has really been his first chance to get in the huddle and develop. Personally, I think Ball did some good things this summer - even if he ultimately showed he's not ready. Waletzko also looked like a good pickup in the limited time he got due to being injured a large portion of time in training camp. But he is obviously not ready yet either.

Peters, if he gets signed, becomes the backup plan to Tyler Smith at Left Tackle. Zach Martin is the backup plan at right tackle. Ball and Walesko both get a year of practice to develop and hone their skills against what is looking to be a very stout defensive front being fielded by the Cowboys revamped defense. Hopefully, by mid-way through the year, both Ball and Walesko can make more strides to develop more, and the weekly competition in practice against a good defense will help them get ready for future roles - a future that may come as soon as later this season.

Teams NEED to develop players that are drafted in later rounds. Bringing in a veteran this past summer would have slowed that development. Bringing in a veteran now that Tyron Smith is out is a good plan, but it wouldn't have been a good plan this past summer if the goal is truly to develop your draft picks. Calm down and let things play out. We'll find out on September 11th where Tyler Smith is at in his development. More importantly, we'll find out how quickly he learns from his mistakes on September 18th against the Bengals. Young and inexperienced does not always equate to bad players or bad play.

It makes for a more interesting fan experience to watch how the young guys develop. And it is much more important that the Cowboys be hitting on all cylinders in December and January than in September. By that time, if the Cowboys let the youngsters play, they will no longer be inexperienced, which will accrue to the benefit of the Cowboys - even if they drop a couple of games to 2 of the last 4 Super Bowl teams during September.
If we had ANY confidence in Tyler having the ability of playing LT in the NFL when we drafted him....he would of taken 2nd team pre-season reps at LT.

LittleD

Reaction score
He's going to quash Jerry's spending way due to his incompetency and inability to charm or negotiate with players....nobody'll play for us.

That may be but, it's his kingdom and he can do as he wishes to keep the big bucks rolling in. The Cowboys are a legacy business for the Jones clan. Get used to it or move on to another team like the Commancheros.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Good take but IMO, dude doesn't make the trip across the state, spend two full days at the facility and doesn't go through getting a physical if he's not 100% committed to signing. Now, if all of this is being done via a video conference(s), your Tom Brady example/concern carries a lot more weight. Just my opinion, as mentioned earlier.

I'm halfway through spending two years getting a graduate degree in my mid-50's because my boss wants me to be prepared to be promoted to Vice President at a University. I'm not even convinced I want to be a Vice President, since I'm already paid more than many college professors in my current position. I was already an executive at two different companies in my 30's and 40's. But I'm taking the classes, and spending the money so that I have the OPTION in the future. And it's not because I covet the VP job. It's because the increase in pay would double my pension after I retire - which is important since my divorce cost me $250K. But I'm still not sure it would be worth the headache of becoming a executive for the 3rd time in my career.

Spending a couple days driving in from east Texas to investigate the opportunity is not a big price to pay for Peters - especially if it gives the wifey a chance to get some shopping done while you're in town for a long holiday weekend. Getting a physical is no big deal for an athlete who is used to going through it every year since he played in high school. Heck, worst case scenario is it might just be a way to get reimbursed for the cost of a mini-vacation getaway to DFW. I'm sure the Cowboys are covering his travel costs.

I don't have any personal insight into what the motivations of Peters are. But at his age and with his experience, I can guarantee that the money won't be the most important factor in his decision. It is a factor, and of course he won't accept a lowball offer. But if the Cowboys make a reasonable offer (and Jerry has never been shy about spending money), then it won't be the most important issue for Peters.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Personally, I can easily adjust to whatever happens with this potential contract. I have my doubts that Peters will turn out to be the ideal solution to our current problem at LT. Whether Tyler is able to handle his starting spot a LT is yet to be attempted and proven. Much the same applies to Jason Peters.

The current situation with regards to the Cowboys solution at LT will apparently be unsettled for a while yet. Peters will need to get his conditioning squared away first, which is likely to require about a few weeks to be completed. That's assuming he actually agrees to a contract. There'll surely be no guarantees, where that's concerned. Here's hoping for the best.

Let's also hope Tyson Smith can do well enough to play somewhat satisfactorily, in the meantime. Admittedly, this is far from an ideal way to start the season. Hopefully, come what may, we'll be treated to some good football to kick off the season. I'm planning on being delightfully entertained, just like I actually have the good sense to make the best of it. ;)

Last edited:

Reid1boys

Reaction score
If we had ANY confidence in Tyler having the ability of playing LT in the NFL when we drafted him....he would of taken 2nd team pre-season reps at LT.
why? If you were banking on Tyron holding down that spot all year, why would you possibly move a rookie around trying to get 2 positions down?

Jumbo075

Reaction score

I don't have confidence that Tyler Smith is ready now to be the starting LT. But with Tyron going down, I'd sure want to find out if I was the GM. After all, the Cowboys were VERY CLEAR when they drafted Tyler Smith that they look at him as the LT of the future.

The future just arrived more quickly than expected. Even if the Cowboys sign Peters, he'll need 2-3 weeks to get into game shape, and those 2-3 weeks will give the Cowboys a whole lot of information they wouldn't otherwise get about Tyler Smith and his readiness to start in the NFL. The Cowboys were far from the only team that considered Smith a good solid pick late in the 1st round.

As someone who lived through the crying of the fans in 2013 when Fredbeard was drafted at the end of the first round, I'm willing to wait and see about Tyler Smith. Even if he craps all over himself against the Bucs, I want to see how much he improves from game to game early in the year. The Cowboys should game plan to help him out at LT until he proves he can hold down the job, or proves that he needs to be replaced. Personally, I have been very surprised out how well undrafted Terence Steele has played in his first two seasons with the Cowboys - and he was undrafted, not a 1st round pick. We could all be pleasantly surprised - which would be a good thing.

As for Josh Ball and Matt Walesko, remember that the Packers Left Tackle, David Bakhtiari was a 4th round pick. He's started all 16 games his rookie year protecting Aaron Rodgers, and in his 4th year made the Pro Bowl, and was All-Pro in his 5th year. He now has 4 Pro Bowl berths and 2 All-Pro seasons in his careeer.

Giving young players a chance to start is the fastest way to develop them. Jimmy Johnson believed that, when he fielded the youngest team in the NFL in 1992, and they shocked everyone by winning the Super Bowl on 3 years after going 1-15. All I'm saying is give the young guys a chance. The Cowboys have the 3rd youngest team in the NFL this year. They could surprise a lot of people.

Last edited:

Reid1boys

Reaction score
That may be but, it's his kingdom and he can do as he wishes to keep the big bucks rolling in. The Cowboys are a legacy business for the Jones clan. Get used to it or move on to another team like the Commancheros.

I chuckle every time I read these comments about what they need to do to keep making money. You do realize that owning the Cowboys is like owning a printing press. The Cowboys have the largest fanbase of any NFL team and it isnt close. Fans are born...... families have kids that are raised to support the team their family supports. My Rams fan friend has two sons that he has been buying Rams jerseys for since they were babies. They are now 9 and 5 years old and watch Rams games with dad. You think those boys are going to all of the sudden start rooting for the Raiders? I have grown daughters.... they are all Cowboys fans. Thats not a coincidence. The Jones family could do NOTHING and the team is goin gto rake in money. BUt they do plenty. They have the finest facilities in the NFL sending about a billion on the Star.... yet you guys seems to think they are money pinchers trying to save money so they can pad their pockets.

terra

Reaction score
You simply don't know that Tyler Smith won't prove to be a good replacement for Tyron Smith, and if I was named Jones, then I would ALSO want to know sooner than later if my recent 1st round pick can handle the job now. So, I don't think the Cowboys are half-assing it. What they ARE doing by talking to Peters is setting up a contingency plan just in case Tyler Smith is not yet ready. Signing a veteran backup before Tyron Smith was injured would just take playing and development time away from their recent draft picks. Signing one about two weeks after Tyron Smith went down, and before game 1 is a good plan.

Listen, the Cowboys gave Josh Ball a very long look at Left Tackle this preseason. That is ultimately a good thing for the Cowboys. Ball fell short, but the reality is he was injured all of last season, and this has really been his first chance to get in the huddle and develop. Personally, I think Ball did some good things this summer - even if he ultimately showed he's not ready. Waletzko also looked like a good pickup in the limited time he got due to being injured a large portion of time in training camp. But he is obviously not ready yet either.

Peters, if he gets signed, becomes the backup plan to Tyler Smith at Left Tackle. Zach Martin is the backup plan at right tackle. Ball and Walesko both get a year of practice to develop and hone their skills against what is looking to be a very stout defensive front being fielded by the Cowboys revamped defense. Hopefully, by mid-way through the year, both Ball and Walesko can make more strides to develop more, and the weekly competition in practice against a good defense will help them get ready for future roles - a future that may come as soon as later this season.

Teams NEED to develop players that are drafted in later rounds. Bringing in a veteran this past summer would have slowed that development. Bringing in a veteran now that Tyron Smith is out is a good plan, but it wouldn't have been a good plan this past summer if the goal is truly to develop your draft picks. Calm down and let things play out. We'll find out on September 11th where Tyler Smith is at in his development. More importantly, we'll find out how quickly he learns from his mistakes on September 18th against the Bengals. Young and inexperienced does not always equate to bad players or bad play.

It makes for a more interesting fan experience to watch how the young guys develop. And it is much more important that the Cowboys be hitting on all cylinders in December and January than in September. By that time, if the Cowboys let the youngsters play, they will no longer be inexperienced, which will accrue to the benefit of the Cowboys - even if they drop a couple of games to 2 of the last 4 Super Bowl teams during September.
all that just to defend Jerry.
Sad.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
All I'm saying is give the young guys a chance. .

With no pre-season for him at LT, the potential of having McGovern inside him and a league wide book regarding his hand placement, putting him out wide against the elite DE's of the NFL could potentially kill his career before it starts.
The plan was to ease him in at LG, with an All-Pro at LT....stick to the plan....for 2022.

terra

Reaction score
Dude, you must know how Stephen operates by now. He loathes paying age to play for the Boys.
sure, stupidly following a rule that should have exceptions is just another example of his incompetence coupled with Jerry's incompetence and narcissism is why we have never sniffed another SB

terra

Reaction score
I piss on anyone saying that we have to accept the jones crap.
I say no one should be told to stop being a fan because of that.
UNLIKE YOU.

terra

Reaction score
With no pre-season for him at LT, the potential of having McGovern inside him and a league wide book regarding his hand placement, putting him out wide against the elite DE's of the NFL could potentially kill his career before it starts.
The plan was to ease him in at LG, with an All-Pro at LT....stick to the plan....for 2022.
It is a panic move a shot from the hip whatever you call it is typical of Jethro. Instead of sitting down with everyone and hashing out a plan he just shoots his mouth off

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I've no problem with the Jones' owning the franchise, just don't have them making football decisions.
The problem isn't the Cowboys spending the CAP, it's that they spend it on ridiculous 2nd contracts to players they like.
Stephen won't last as hands on OwnerGM......the Gregory fiasco proved that ...and the media will crucify him (without Daddy's protection).

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
It is a panic move a shot from the hip whatever you call it is typical of Jethro. Instead of sitting down with everyone and hashing out a plan he just shoots his mouth off
I'm not disagreeing, however, I think the plan (and I know the Jones' aren't really a family that plan the Cowboys strategy) was to keep Tyler at Guard, Tyron to at least make it to close to the trading deadline and either Ball/Waletzko would have shown enough to take over, or £f we were still in play-off contention we'd make a trade on a rental

Status
Not open for further replies.