Cowboys talking to former Seahawks DC Kris Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

His first interview question: "You have Earl Thomas' cell phone number, right?"

Richard or Ray Horton as Secondary Coach would be a huge upgrade. If Richard brings Earl Thomas with him, all the better.

Second interview question: “Do you have any problem with the team owner’s grandson sitting in on team meetings and practices to give you advice? He’s a really good kid we think has coaching potential.”

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn't Jerry just say on Friday that both Linehan and Marinelli are both staying, yet we're interviewing a DC?........Jerry Jones AKA JR Ewing......truth never crosses his lips.

The report the OP didn't say they were interviewing for a DC, it said they were interviewing him for a coaching position.

Kaiser

Reaction score
If Richards wanted DC I'd probably give it to him. If Horton wanted DC I'd break out the $$ to have him coach the secondary. Pay him like a DC, I don't care.

Definitely, Dallas is known for paying the highest salaries to coaches and for guys like Biasca, not holding them if they want to move on for a promotion. That is one of the reasons that posters here say no one wants to work for Garrett and Jerry but we have all these former Defensive Coordinators coming in to interview for position coaching spots.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Second interview question: “Do you have any problem with the team owner’s grandson sitting in on team meetings and practices to give you advice? He’s a really good kid we think has coaching potential.”
He's already better than Garrett

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Marinelli must be retiring. Richards, Pagano, and Norton are all defensive coordinators—anywhere in the league. Can’t see any of them being a mere position coach
You could be right about Marinelli retiring. You are absolutely right about the interviewees being DC considerations throughout the league. Would not be the least bit surprised that Marinelli hangs 'em up in the very near future.

Kaiser

Reaction score
That is one of the reasons that posters here say no one wants to work for Garrett and Jerry but we have all these former Defensive Coordinators coming in to interview for position coaching spots.

See the post above my first one for the perfect example of this.

StarMan2112

Reaction score

:lmao2:Sounds about right!

superonyx

Reaction score
I don't know. Ask the people who have excused the last 7 years of mediocrity by suggesting Garrett has been "let down" by the defense. He's the HC. If the defense fails, that's on him. If the offense fails, that's on him.
That's a nice normal theory.
The problem is JG doesnt have any say over who the OC or DC is. That's Jerry's thing. JG isn't even a HC in the sense a guy like Carroll, Peterson, ect are. He is just a motivational figure head that can tell Jerry on people.

We don't have a HC, we have an organization that dysfunctional.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Love Marinelli and how salty he is lol...but I think a new voice and someone thats much younger that brings in recent cred (SUPER BOWL RINGS) like Richard,just may be what this team needs to be elite. Move Marinelli to a consultant type position like we did with Kiffin.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Love Marinelli and how salty he is lol...but I think a new voice and someone thats much younger that brings in recent cred (SUPER BOWL RINGS) like Richard,just may be what this team needs to be elite. Move Marinelli to a consultant type position like we did with Kiffin.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Credit for what, hiring coaches? Then he has failed for more then 7 years. The offense is his game plan, Garrett doesn't make the game plan on defense. What would do you live in

What would do I live in? The real would. You? ahh, I see, the HC only makes the game plan for the offense. Hmmm, better think about that and ask yourself if Bellichick has anything to do with Defense planning. Then go back a few years and ask if Phillips or Parcell's ever had anything to do the defense. Maybe good HC's just leave it up to their OC and DC coordinators. Never could figure out where ones responsibility ended and the other started.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Pau Alexander is a nice hire too. The dude's O=lines have been top drawer in pass and run blocking for years
What would do I live in? The real would. You? ahh, I see, the HC only makes the game plan for the offense. Hmmm, better think about that and ask yourself if Bellichick has anything to do with Defense planning. Then go back a few years and ask if Phillips or Parcell's ever had anything to do the defense. Maybe good HC's just leave it up to their OC and DC coordinators. Never could figure out where ones responsibility ended and the other started.
And if JG hires Richard, and he does OK, you'd just have to give him a little credit wouldn't ya. Man that would hurt eh! Remember Bellichick had a few years to get his coaching staff right.

DuDa

Reaction score
tenor.gif

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Thomas has made it clear that he only wants to play for the Cowboys when his time is up in Seattle, so it is just a matter of time. He has one year left on his contract, so if Seattle wants to get anything for him before he is a free agent, then they should strike a deal this offseason. The Cowboys FO knows this and hopefully leverages a favorable trade to make this happen.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Pau Alexander is a nice hire too. The dude's O=lines have been top drawer in pass and run blocking for years

And if JG hires Richard, and he does OK, you'd just have to give him a little credit wouldn't ya. Man that would hurt eh! Remember Bellichick had a few years to get his coaching staff right.
Garrett’s has more than a few years, nice try though

Status
Not open for further replies.