Video: Cowboys TE's Talk About Witten's Return

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There was a debate that the return of Witten was a mistake. it has been my contention, if for no other reason, his ability to teach his thought processes to be the best will make Kerwin and Schultz better.

This short video is exciting because Dallas has a coach on the field in both practice and in games.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There was a debate that the return of Witten was a mistake. it has been my contention, if for no other reason, his ability to teach his thought processes to be the best will make Kerwin and Schultz better.

This short video is exciting because Dallas has a coach on the field in both practice and in games.

A lot to be said about leadership and respect. Witten has the former and the players have the latter.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Witten CAN be a teacher. Question is WILL he be a teacher. Never has been in the past. Seemed to be a stat hound.
I guess it depends if he sees someone worth teaching. There are numerous guys that were brought in to learn from me and whom I was to mentor most didn't amount to much and I could tell that in the 1st week.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Schultz seems like the best fit for Witten's game, but I'm sure they can all learn a lot from him.

cern

Reaction score
I guess it depends if he sees someone worth teaching. There are numerous guys that were brought in to learn from me and whom I was to mentor most didn't amount to much and I could tell that in the 1st week.
From the time witten came here until he left, we never developed another te. Bennett left in frustration and went on to pro bowl and super bowl ring. Escobar, no. Phillips, no. Swaim, no. Schultz and jarwin didn't develop until witten left. I've mentored more that one grad student or employee at cern over my career. They all wanted to learn. I just don't see any willingness ever that witten ever tried to teach anyone. No reason to think he will now. Now Sean lee, that's another matter. Great teacher. Lve and Jaylon didn't get that good so quickly without his help.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Right now all I care about is the TE position being involved in the game. Having a TE who can block and be a receiver who can run sharp routs and help move the chains. People can trash Witten all they want but he will do his job it is up to others to step up and make the plays when their number is called. Dak not having that safety blanket last year hurt.

cern

Reaction score
Right now all I care about is the TE position being involved in the game. Having a TE who can block and be a receiver who can run sharp routs and help move the chains. People can trash Witten all they want but he will do his job it is up to others to step up and make the plays when their number is called. Dak not having that safety blanket last year hurt.
I agree. It's not witten's job to teach. I just find it annoying that so many think he'll be a great teacher like Sean Lee. It's not his nature. It's the coaches job to teach. I don't think he'll be able to influence jg like in the past with a new oc in place and the front office watching the situation.

jrumann59

Reaction score
From the time witten came here until he left, we never developed another te. Bennett left in frustration and went on to pro bowl and super bowl ring. Escobar, no. Phillips, no. Swaim, no. Schultz and jarwin didn't develop until witten left. I've mentored more that one grad student or employee at cern over my career. They all wanted to learn. I just don't see any willingness ever that witten ever tried to teach anyone. No reason to think he will now. Now Sean lee, that's another matter. Great teacher. Lve and Jaylon didn't get that good so quickly without his help.
It really depends on how person learns and how a person teaches sometimes they do not mesh. I for example will not repeat myself more than a handful of times if you can't pick up what I am saying after 4-5 times and do not ask questions I am done teaching.

Saying Jarwin and Schultz developed really is really using the term loosely. They developed yes but Jarwin was almost as bad as Schultze for 3/4 of the season. 20 of Jarwins 27 catches came in December. Up to that point he was mildly better than Rico and there was no Witten on the team.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Keep it up, acolytes of fat, slow, old athletes.

Witten is a coach? He needs a whistle and an office.
Witten wants to play? He better deliver, but not the way he delivered his last time on the team.

Imagine, you inconsiderate louts, how, if you were Doug Nussmeier, you'd wince every time you non athletes raised your pom poms to salute Wittern as a coach.
The Cowboys are well stocked with coaches, thank you.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

We'll see.

Witten had never been the player/coach like Sean Lee.

Witten has tended to treat young TEs as competition more than trying to coach them.