Video: Cowboys TE's Talk About Witten's Return

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
He has a strong work ethic....:facepalm:

HE'S SUPPOSED TO HAVE ONE! ITS THE NFL!
What? So is every player? Many think they made it to the big time, just have to skate along. Why do you think coaches, announcers and annalists always point out the players with top work ethic. They show up early, work hard, leave late, and study film on their own time. The rest work 9 to 5 and party. You're out of your mind if you think work ethic comes with every player.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
I

Big Witten fan here and was totally against the signing . And please pro bowls are a joke unless of course your using it to support an argument which I have done so tip of the hat to you sir

I hope Witten drank from the fountain youth while away because i myself was getting tired of his 5 yard routes and fall down I think the young guys deserve their shot I hope this coaching staff don’t give him too many snaps
Pro Bowls are earned by the respect of your peers, substitutes no so much. I too was tired of the 3rd and 8 with a route that is 5 yards. But, that is on the coaches/play calling, reaching in the playbook for a safe route. Sure, Witten has slowed down, probably will not see him running up the seam for a 20 yard gain. But, he will contribute big time this year, even if all he does help the young guns or block.

Those saying Witten was selfish have no clue about the concept of WINNING the position. Any player that leaves any NFL team, then complains they never got a break did not beat out the other guy in practice, in the classroom or on the field. It is the old "I'm better than the other guy" after you've been fired for smoking crack in the office.

starfan1

Reaction score
Pro Bowls are earned by the respect of your peers, substitutes no so much. I too was tired of the 3rd and 8 with a route that is 5 yards. But, that is on the coaches/play calling, reaching in the playbook for a safe route. Sure, Witten has slowed down, probably will not see him running up the seam for a 20 yard gain. But, he will contribute big time this year, even if all he does help the young guns or block.

Those saying Witten was selfish have no clue about the concept of WINNING the position. Any player that leaves any NFL team, then complains they never got a break did not beat out the other guy in practice, in the classroom or on the field. It is the old "I'm better than the other guy" after you've been fired for smoking crack in the office.
Sorry the pro bowl is a popularity contest and the reserves are a joke. As for the rest of your post not much to argue there I like Witten

I’m just not sure I want him taking too many snaps from jarwin

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
I am being far more specific than you. I'm talking about him teaching the young te's the nuances of the position the way sean lee does with lve and jaylon. You, on the other hand are just being generic. Did his leadership by example help in 2015?
OK, who said he did not? I recall a video where Garrett said Witten taught the receiving core how a particular route was run. I hate Garrett as a coach, but he said no one could have taught it better. What's Witten to do, go out to the strip joints with the young guys who show up the next day and can't run routes?

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
Sorry the pro bowl is a popularity contest and the reserves are a joke. As for the rest of your post not much to argue there I like Witten

I’m just not sure I want him taking too many snaps from jarwin
OK, I'll agree some of it is popularity. I like Jarwin too, hope he can produce like Witten did.

cern

Reaction score
OK, who said he did not? I recall a video where Garrett said Witten taught the receiving core how a particular route was run. I hate Garrett as a coach, but he said no one could have taught it better. What's Witten to do, go out to the strip joints with the young guys who show up the next day and can't run routes?
Name the te's the cowboys developed while witten played here. I can think of none.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
What? So is every player? Many think they made it to the big time, just have to skate along. Why do you think coaches, announcers and annalists always point out the players with top work ethic. They show up early, work hard, leave late, and study film on their own time. The rest work 9 to 5 and party. You're out of your mind if you think work ethic comes with every player.

You are out of your mind if you think that work ethic trumps talent.
EVERYONE HERE IN THE NFL WILL BE SHOWN THE DOOR IF THE WORK ETHIC IS NOT THERE, MATEY!
"WORK ETHIC" IS THE LAST BASTION OF THE SUB TALENTED! Shame! I thought you knew NFL football...

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
+3 points are hereby duly awarded in a most meritorious manner for the subtlety & sly fashion of labeling all "footballish talkin' heads" with the shingle of analist:thumbup:

:starspin::star::bow::star::starspin:

:oldcouple::hammer::oldcouple:

:yourock::welcome::yourock:

o_O

GMO415

Reaction score
I don’t like the idea of giving Dak another check-down option. Personally I think Witten retires during training camp. Witten knew he was going to be fired. Jerry just gave him a way to save face..
If Jerry knew he was firing Witt he damn sure would have addressed the TE position in the draft....

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will only make one prediction about Witten. There will be a wailing and gnashing of teeth when he makes one too many of those patented going down before the marker plays.

The only reason I didn't want him coming back was Booger's and Garrett's affinity for him and giving him his way on the snaps. They're both in the Witten fan club as witnessed by that ridiculous retirement press conference.

If the TE position is a large part of this offense, and that is unknown at this time, this offense will struggle. Witten didn't come back to help the team, he came back to try and erase that embarrassment at ESPN and get his groove back and prove something. This is all about him trying to regain his pride. If he doesn't get his touches, you can bet Garrett and Booger will hear about it.

The other side of that is that he might just be more driven and motivated than he's been since he was a youngster. No doubt in my mind, he's back to get that bad taste out of his mouth and that's not happening with just blocking.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Young TEs get better by PLAYING - not by getting less reps...
Right now they are learning how to work, how to prepare, how to read defenses, run routes, set up defenders, and how to finish. They are indeed getting better and learning from the vet. How much they get to play and how much 82 plays is yet to be determined. I am very confident that the best TEs will play. Witten isn’t guaranteed anything. No one’s development will be slowed unless Witten is actually better than the others, and if that’s the case, I could care less.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I will only make one prediction about Witten. There will be a wailing and gnashing of teeth when he makes one too many of those patented going down before the marker plays.

The only reason I didn't want him coming back was Booger's and Garrett's affinity for him and giving him his way on the snaps. They're both in the Witten fan club as witnessed by that ridiculous retirement press conference.

If the TE position is a large part of this offense, and that is unknown at this time, this offense will struggle. Witten didn't come back to help the team, he came back to try and erase that embarrassment at ESPN and get his groove back and prove something. This is all about him trying to regain his pride. If he doesn't get his touches, you can bet Garrett and Booger will hear about it.

The other side of that is that he might just be more driven and motivated than he's been since he was a youngster. No doubt in my mind, he's back to get that bad taste out of his mouth and that's not happening with just blocking.
Ridiculous. Witten has no need to regain his pride, and another year of NFL football has zero impact on his NFL career and vice versa. If pride was the issue, he would have returned to be better in his second year. I don’t believe for a minute that he’d have been fired after one season.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree. It's not witten's job to teach. I just find it annoying that so many think he'll be a great teacher like Sean Lee. It's not his nature. It's the coaches job to teach. I don't think he'll be able to influence jg like in the past with a new oc in place and the front office watching the situation.

Players can still watch and learn how he goes about his business. TE work in groups and while I do not expect Witten to hold their hands I do expect them to ask question. One thing for sure having a safety net for the QB such as Witten who runs excellent routs and has good hands is big when the QB is running out of time with pressure coming. It benefitted Romo when he was here and benefitted Dak for his 1st 2 season.

jrumann59

Reaction score
The biggest complaint made by former players coached by bill belichik is how he grates on them. How he goes over and over a point until they get it. This is what good teachers do. They don't quit on their charges.jmo
That is a coach that is what a coach does. If anything it is genius how Bill taps into a players desire to win a ring and then that player is gone in couple of years. Look at the Moss, Revis, Bennett, etc. Bill is loyal to a limited few everyone else is replaceable.

rags747

Reaction score
No comments from Rico I see. Jarwin is obviously the best threat of the bunch.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No comments from Rico I see. Jarwin is obviously the best threat of the bunch.

As a receiver yes, but TE and WR 2 different position with 2 different roles to play. I like Jarwin but as a TE is responsibility are 2 fold that of a receiver and as blocker and he will need to continue to grow as a blocker, if that aspect is not important then why bother having a 4.75 40 receiving TE? May as well go another WR if you can't block

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
You are out of your mind if you think that work ethic trumps talent.
EVERYONE HERE IN THE NFL WILL BE SHOWN THE DOOR IF THE WORK ETHIC IS NOT THERE, MATEY!
"WORK ETHIC" IS THE LAST BASTION OF THE SUB TALENTED! Shame! I thought you knew NFL football...
LOL. A lot of players have been shown the door for being slackers, trust me.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

First, harbor porter, the question is not of work ethic. Me thesis, ye old Arkansas-educated scholar, is this:
Work ethic shouldn't be an issue. IT'S. EXPECTED.
Whether your boys are talented or not, NO WORK/STUDY ETHIC NO $$$$$$$. It is understood, though, tha.
Get over tha, ya, old fellow!