Video: Cowboys TE's Talk About Witten's Return

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Witten is not and never has been a mentor. He is out for himself.

And before a bunch of folks come at me for disparaging this generation's Mr. Cowboy, I don't think that it is a big deal. He's a competitor, so I get it. It is not his job necessarily to be that role model.

That is not the worst thing, but it would have been kind of nice if the organization took that in mind before they wasted picks on Bennett and Escobar.

So when he took Murray under his wing and they worked out in the off season, that was not mentoring? Murray said Witten was a beat in the off season. Witten said he put Murray through his paces and the next day Witten would be sore and Murray just shrugged it off.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
Not trashing him as much as recognizing the fact he's never helped the younger players. Going to mavs and stars games with Garrett isn't being a team leader imo.
Obviously being selected to 11 pro bowls in 15 years is leading by example. Witten has a strong work ethic, that rubs off on those players that want to be great, ask Michael Irvin. You can lead a TE to water but you can't make him drink it.

cern

Reaction score
So when he took Murray under his wing and they worked out in the off season, that was not mentoring? Murray said Witten was a beat in the off season. Witten said he put Murray through his paces and the next day Witten would be sore and Murray just shrugged it off.
I see your point, but Murray was not a competitor for his spot. He even got Murray invited to one of his stars or mavs gigs with tony and Garrett.

cern

Reaction score
Obviously being selected to 11 pro bowls in 15 years is leading by example. Witten has a strong work ethic, that rubs off on those players that want to be great, ask Michael Irvin. You can lead a TE to water but you can't make him drink it.
I am being far more specific than you. I'm talking about him teaching the young te's the nuances of the position the way sean lee does with lve and jaylon. You, on the other hand are just being generic. Did his leadership by example help in 2015?

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
We'll see what he has left in the tank. Hoping the year off game him a chance to aid his quickness this year. I expect Dak will be glad to see him return to action as an outlet, if nothing else. He slowed down a notch last year, although, I expect him to still be useful on 3rd down. Some of the players were saying he looks faster than he has been in awhile -- seeing is believing, though. We'll see. The staff should avoid over-utilizing him, though. The younger TEs will need the reps if they're to develop as needed. Also running Witt into the ground won't help his gains to be at their best. I think that was likely a part of the problem in the past. Pooping out a plodder isn't the smartest idea.
*ya know, they kinda' let about half of the cat outta' the bag when the F.O. announced they were bringing the #82 back into the fold ,when it was let slip about that whole " part-time active player& part-time players coach" postion ,,, er,,,and I'm thinking that would've been credited to Head Coach Jason Garrett commenting on it,about the #82's return:starspin:

* Jason Witten done retired from the game (for whatever reasons being) ,,,we all know, love& respect his "Heart" for the game,,,but ,,,if yer' cleats were telling you "my treads getting thin as baloney rinds these days" weel cuzon,,,if he's utilized properly
( like dynamite) he could prove invaluable,,, improperly? "BOOM" goes the secret stash cache yer' storing it in,,,o_O

starfan1

Reaction score
Surprised how many are trashing Witten in here. Bennett and Escobar had their chance, and couldn't take the job, especially in blocking. Witten went to 11 pro bowls before he retired, in 15 seasons, obviously the man could play ball, and I think he will still surprise you millennial doubters. Old and experienced out does young and dumb every time, heh.
I

Big Witten fan here and was totally against the signing . And please pro bowls are a joke unless of course your using it to support an argument which I have done so tip of the hat to you sir

I hope Witten drank from the fountain youth while away because i myself was getting tired of his 5 yard routes and fall down I think the young guys deserve their shot I hope this coaching staff don’t give him too many snaps

Red Dragon

Reaction score
All I want to know, is if Witten can overtake Gonzalez in the stat records. That is all.

Otherwise he is old and far past his prime.

GMO415

Reaction score
Let me guess.....it looks like they run a 4.3 next to him?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
This is no different than how others in a similar position are viewed. Favre and more recently Joe Flacco have been criticized after not being mentors to younger players following them at the same position.

Being a good teammate is more of what I believe Witten is in this example versus being a mentor showing another player how to do his job. There is a distinct difference between showing someone how to become a professional versus showing someone how they can take your job.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
He has a strong work ethic....:facepalm:

HE'S SUPPOSED TO HAVE ONE! ITS THE NFL!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I guess it depends if he sees someone worth teaching. There are numerous guys that were brought in to learn from me and whom I was to mentor most didn't amount to much and I could tell that in the 1st week.
Stay golden, stay golden lad.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
I don’t like the idea of giving Dak another check-down option. Personally I think Witten retires during training camp. Witten knew he was going to be fired. Jerry just gave him a way to save face..

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I agree. It's not witten's job to teach. I just find it annoying that so many think he'll be a great teacher like Sean Lee. It's not his nature. It's the coaches job to teach. I don't think he'll be able to influence jg like in the past with a new oc in place and the front office watching the situation.
I hear what your saying, and I understand your thought process concerning Wittens coaching ability,, but could it have possibly been that Witten was basically keeping his job, and wasn't going to do anything to help the competition. Lets not kid ourselves, this may be a game to the fans, but its a business to those involved, no different than any other job,, competition.
Now step back and ask yourself this Cern,,,
Witten knows this is probably his last season. He knows that he doesn't have what it takes to be in the booth.
Can he be a good TE coach possibly more heading forward? I don't know, nobody knows, but Witten does posses the knowledge and if he now has the desire considering his situation, I could see him actually releasing some of his trade secrets to the young TEs on this team... we will see.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We'll see.

Witten had never been the player/coach like Sean Lee.

Witten has tended to treat young TEs as competition more than trying to coach them.
That’s more perception than reality. Witten only knows 1 way, 100% every day. We’re not privy to what happens in the locker room, in the film room, in the TE meetings.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
*ya know, they kinda' let about half of the cat outta' the bag when the F.O. announced they were bringing the #82 back into the fold ,when it was let slip about that whole " part-time active player& part-time players coach" postion ,,, er,,,and I'm thinking that would've been credited to Head Coach Jason Garrett commenting on it,about the #82's return:starspin:

* Jason Witten done retired from the game (for whatever reasons being) ,,,we all know, love& respect his "Heart" for the game,,,but ,,,if yer' cleats were telling you "my treads getting thin as baloney rinds these days" weel cuzon,,,if he's utilized properly
( like dynamite) he could prove invaluable,,, improperly? "BOOM" goes the secret stash cache yer' storing it in,,,o_O

Especially toward the end of Witten's time, before he "retired," I thought he should have taken rests when they motioned him off the field but he normally refused. I wonder if the staff will see fit to take him out after 25 reps or so like they indicated they would a while back. Should be interesting to see how it goes. At some point, Jarwin and Schultz need their reps, too, otherwise, their development gets curtailed. We'll see.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s more perception than reality. Witten only knows 1 way, 100% every day. We’re not privy to what happens in the locker room, in the film room, in the TE meetings.
Try attending training camp. Big difference in Lee and Witten with regards to interactions with young players.