Video: Cowboys TE's Talk About Witten's Return

Big D

Reaction score
Witten CAN be a teacher. Question is WILL he be a teacher. Never has been in the past. Seemed to be a stat hound.
From what he's saying in the video it seems to me that given his new perspective he is very willing.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I guess it depends if he sees someone worth teaching. There are numerous guys that were brought in to learn from me and whom I was to mentor most didn't amount to much and I could tell that in the 1st week.

I have not read one report of Witten even attempting to take a fellow TE under his wing. He will get on anyone who doesn't go all out which is important but the only relationships I really hear about involving Witten are with the two guys that get him the ball.

Other than that it is a lot of talk of leadership by example.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I have not read one report of Witten even attempting to take a fellow TE under his wing. He will get on anyone who doesn't go all out which is important but the only relationships I really hear about involving Witten are with the two guys that get him the ball.

Other than that it is a lot of talk of leadership by example.
Witten is not and never has been a mentor. He is out for himself.

And before a bunch of folks come at me for disparaging this generation's Mr. Cowboy, I don't think that it is a big deal. He's a competitor, so I get it. It is not his job necessarily to be that role model.

That is not the worst thing, but it would have been kind of nice if the organization took that in mind before they wasted picks on Bennett and Escobar.

Beaker42

Reaction score
There was a debate that the return of Witten was a mistake. it has been my contention, if for no other reason, his ability to teach his thought processes to be the best will make Kerwin and Schultz better.

This short video is exciting because Dallas has a coach on the field in both practice and in games.

Who the hell is Kerwin???

And yes, I already know the answer.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten is not and never has been a mentor. He is out for himself.

And before a bunch of folks come at me for disparaging this generation's Mr. Cowboy, I don't think that it is a big deal. He's a competitor, so I get it. It is not his job necessarily to be that role model.

That is not the worst thing, but it would have been kind of nice if the organization took that in mind before they wasted picks on Bennett and Escobar.
:clap:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten CAN be a teacher. Question is WILL he be a teacher. Never has been in the past. Seemed to be a stat hound.
Running the routes called and catching the passes thrown is being a stat hound? Seems that’s doing what is asked of him.

Saying he wasn’t much of a teacher in the past is something different. I’ve read where Witten has said he always approachedthings as if he were competing for the starting job, so his mindset was the other TEs we’re trying to take his job. So, he was a nay a teacher by example, but not by actively trying to help other TEs.

Whemn he was signed this time he said he understood circumstances are different know. Hopefully he is more active in helping now.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
Surprised how many are trashing Witten in here. Bennett and Escobar had their chance, and couldn't take the job, especially in blocking. Witten went to 11 pro bowls before he retired, in 15 seasons, obviously the man could play ball, and I think he will still surprise you millennial doubters. Old and experienced out does young and dumb every time, heh.

cern

Reaction score
Running the routes called and catching the passes thrown is being a stat hound? Seems that’s doing what is asked of him.

Saying he wasn’t much of a teacher in the past is something different. I’ve read where Witten has said he always approachedthings as if he were competing for the starting job, so his mindset was the other TEs we’re trying to take his job. So, he was a nay a teacher by example, but not by actively trying to help other TEs.

Whemn he was signed this time he said he understood circumstances are different know. Hopefully he is more active in helping now.
The lion is the lion. Even when it eats grass.

cern

Reaction score
Surprised how many are trashing Witten in here. Bennett and Escobar had their chance, and couldn't take the job, especially in blocking. Witten went to 11 pro bowls before he retired, in 15 seasons, obviously the man could play ball, and I think he will still surprise you millennial doubters. Old and experienced out does young and dumb every time, heh.
Not trashing him as much as recognizing the fact he's never helped the younger players. Going to mavs and stars games with Garrett isn't being a team leader imo.

cern

Reaction score
It really depends on how person learns and how a person teaches sometimes they do not mesh. I for example will not repeat myself more than a handful of times if you can't pick up what I am saying after 4-5 times and do not ask questions I am done teaching.

Saying Jarwin and Schultz developed really is really using the term loosely. They developed yes but Jarwin was almost as bad as Schultze for 3/4 of the season. 20 of Jarwins 27 catches came in December. Up to that point he was mildly better than Rico and there was no Witten on the team.
The biggest complaint made by former players coached by bill belichik is how he grates on them. How he goes over and over a point until they get it. This is what good teachers do. They don't quit on their charges.jmo

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I just hope he can move the chains. I hate 5 yard routes on 3rd and 7.

We'll see what he has left in the tank. Hoping the year off game him a chance to aid his quickness this year. I expect Dak will be glad to see him return to action as an outlet, if nothing else. He slowed down a notch last year, although, I expect him to still be useful on 3rd down. Some of the players were saying he looks faster than he has been in awhile -- seeing is believing, though. We'll see. The staff should avoid over-utilizing him, though. The younger TEs will need the reps if they're to develop as needed. Also running Witt into the ground won't help his gains to be at their best. I think that was likely a part of the problem in the past. Pooping out a plodder isn't the smartest idea.

Last edited:

Techsass

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten has always struck me as a self motivated type who keeps at it until he succeeds. I think he expects the same mind set from the rest of the guys.

There was a TE a few years ago that said he helped him a lot, but it sounded like more of a discussion thing, not an intense let's get together for an hour type of thing. I'm drawing a complete blank on who that was, but it was in the last 3-4 years, so we aren't talking about a top TE.

Witt will more than earn his payday this season, but he isn't what he once was anymore.