Twitter: Cowboys to meet QB Jeff Driskel

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Garrett Gilbert deserves to be the back up just on the sole fact he took over for an injured Colt McCoy in the national championship game against Alabama and almost won.
Hook Em
There will be competition regardless of what some Twitter hack says.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Granted this is a highlight but he looks mobile to me
And he ran a 4.5 40 shows great arm strength..

Jeff Driskel looks very good! Definitely better than Garrett Gilbert and the rest of the bunch backups currently on this roster.

I would not be surprised if the Cowboys sign Jeff Driskel by the end of the day today.

Carson

Reaction score
I remember watching him in high school. Always rooted for him as he grew up 5 minutes from my home.

Would be happy picking him up. I just think any amount of timing and practice will make DiNucci better.

DRella

Reaction score
This would be a great signing. He definitely would become the number 2 behind Dak. My guess is that he and Gilbert will battle for 2 and 3 spots. Dinucci will be released or placed on practice squad for development.

75boyz

Reaction score
I would personally call Jacksonville and see what they waned for Garner Minshew. He has two years left on his rookie contract, both under 1M (850K/965K). The current depth chart in Jacksonville puts him on the outside: Lawrence, Beathard, Minshew, and Luton.

I like this idea. Nice post.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Garbage? Um. No offense. It came down to the last play. Give the guy his due.

there is another difference, foles only got to start many games in a row, due
to wentz getting hurt. Gilbert got one game.
Foles was a 3rd round pick, and players are looked at by what round they are picked in , that stays with them, unless they play whole seasons
and are winners.
Foles won a SB for the eagles, and because wentz was a rd 1 pick eagles chose him over foles, the guy who won the SB lol.
They only chose wentz because he was a round 1 pick, which is an example of what I call football mentality.

Jeff and Gilbert ,Both are same size, both were 6th round picks, and Jeff has more nfl game experience, but Gilbert maybe has more if you
count his AAC experience as starter for his team which was a winner.
I havent seen Jeff play, but Gilbert is decent, and the only way for him or Jeff to get better , is to play games.
it is hard to get better standing on sidelines.

DCCowboys11

Reaction score
I would have preferred someone drafted by the Cowboys in about the 3rd to 5th round in his 3rd or 4th year with the team. Dak goes down, this guy knows the system, knows the players. He is motivated by the fact that he can be showcased to other teams since his rookie contract ends either that year or the next.

If he should succeed then the Cowboys can trade him the following season and reap huge rewards.

I would really like to see the Cowboys make a commitment to draft a Quarterback about every three years in the midrange of the draft. I've always considered 6th and 7th rounders to be an exercise in futility unless they have a really great and exclusive scouting info on him. Perhaps its someone that graded out much much higher on their board. And, yes, I'm including Brady in that group.

Home grown QB backups seem to make a lot more sense in terms of familiarity, salary, and especially potential.

That's what they did when they drafted Dak. That turned out pretty good, don't you agree?
Agreed. I was really hoping for a guy like Kellen Mond in the middle rounds.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Garbage? Um. No offense. It came down to the last play. Give the guy his due.

I am willing to let Gilbert compete for the backup job in camp but I would like to have options. Nothing wrong with bringing in competition. Make him earn it, don't just give it to him.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Jeff Driskel played for the Lions in 2019 and started against the Cowboys.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Before you start talking about someone's "entire NFL career", you should probably know what you're talking about or you will most assuredly sound like an idiot as you just did. Garrett Gilbert is an established veteran QB, prior to coming to the Cowboys he had multiple years of game time experience. The game he started in 2020 with the Cowboys came down to the last play. Your misrepresentation of his performance during that game only makes you look foolish. It's a matter in the record books and we all saw the game. Revising history as you tried to do... shameful.
First off, I don't care that you referred to me as coming off like an idiot because I gave MY opinion of a player. Can we not debate on this forum without being attacked?
Second, you mention that he had multiple years of game time experience. Really? You may want to look up his stats again. Prior to his 1 start in Dallas he had thrown 6 passes in the NFL. He is what you refer to as a journeyman bench warmer. He has been 3rd string or practice squad most of his career.
Third, maybe I was a little brutal in regards to his 1 start. He certainly performed better than I expected. I don't mind giving him a shot at the backup spot. Right now we really don't have many options. However, if we have a chance to bring in competition then we should do it. I'm not a big Driskel fan but he has way more experience than Gilbert. He has 345 pass attempts with 13 TDs and 8 ints with 3 rushing TDs. Why not kick the tires?

jujoboys

Reaction score
Not to defend DiNucci, as he didn't play well...but he's still inexperienced in the NFL. When Romo came into the NFL, didn't he throw more with a sidearm than traditional and had to learn to correct his mechanics?

I'm not saying DiNucci is anything close to what Romo was, but the dude was a rookie and a 7th round draft pick...those guys are typically development projects and shouldn't even see play-time their rookie year.
I agree that Dinucci wasn't ready. However, Romo showed signs that he could make plays. He gave you hope. Dinucci left me wondering how he was ever even a college QB. Ever throw, except his first throw, was wild and awkward looking. Having OTAs, training camp, and preseason games should benefit him. Hopefully, he can show us something in preseason.